UE3 - UT3 Custom Character - War Cow / Atomic Cow

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JohnnySix

Caffienated Haemoglobin
Apr 6, 2002
England
planetunreal.com
Here is the WIP so far...

1. I really, REALLY loved the style/detail of the original unreal Nali-cow, so I'm aiming to reproduce this reasonably faithfully, while bridging the gap to UT3, with all the bells and normal-mapped whistles that that entails.

That said, I'm trying to avoid the mistakes made on the vapourware 2k4 model, and have detail where needed, and not simply shove polygons in to make some kind of 'limit'.

As you can see from below, from the Unreal cow, to the War/Atomic cow in UT, the skin colour and eyes/nose positioning changed. The mesh for the cow is the same as the one from UT, but the texture detail was reduced considerably.

nalicow_ut3_wip_14_by_JohnnySix.jpg

2. The concepts.

I finally scanned and coloured these in so it makes a bit more sense when you see the final model..

Nali_cow_concepts_by_JohnnySix.jpg

nalicow_ut3_wip_12_by_JohnnySix.jpg

nalicow_ut3_wip_15_by_JohnnySix.jpg

Wires

nalicow_ut3_wip_10_by_JohnnySix.jpg

JohnnySix

Caffienated Haemoglobin
Apr 6, 2002
England
planetunreal.com
Tonight's progress on the high-poly for the Atomic Cow - Going to build him in separate parts and normal map them independently , then reassemble for animating.

nalicow_ut3_wip_17_by_JohnnySix.jpg

Does anyone know if it's possible to have rigid parts like a vehicle? I'd like his carapace/head to be rigidly attached to the underlying bones, and only to have the sections between the segments 'soft' like normal models.

Last edited:

JohnnySix

Caffienated Haemoglobin
Apr 6, 2002
England
planetunreal.com
Any crits? I was thinking ( in terms of saving time and getting the chance to use a cool special effect ) I could make his neck/tail/leg attacments the necris darkwalker style energy beams?

Do the UTIII robots have parts that bend? I remember Xan looked like rubber when he ragdolled, ruining the illusion of him being metal.

nalicow_ut3_wip_19_by_JohnnySix.jpg

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I don't have any cons at the moment, maybe at the final product.
WarCow's head is their gun.

WaitForTheRain

Feb 26, 2008
UK
I'm assuming the war cow your making is a robot one, but are you going to make various kinds of war cow then? Looks great.