COD: MW2 Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
No cookie- or IP-based check as rudimentary security against repeat signers and no captcha to keep out bots?

I think we can ignore them pretty easily.

Defeat

GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO
Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization consolization

Last edited:

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
Remember how they changed Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 and decided to make L4D2 a free expansion?

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
I do.

We angry, self-absorbed PC gamers sure do make a difference in this world! We may only make up 1% of all the PC gamers out there but we speak for f**king millions, man.

Our will will not be denied. :mad:

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Whoever believes online petitions work need to be slapped in the peepee. Whoever signs them needs to have their ballsack deflated.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
So you honestly don't see the difference between having a server with 'regulars' up and running 24/7, free to join as they please, and having to invite/friends list everyone to your lobby to achieve the same effect?

And if we can have private, passworded lobbies, WHY THE HELL can't we have dedicated servers?
Justify that one.

Also, can you imagine the WCG finals when they have to individually invite everyone to the same lobby and one random jerko from the internet joins and refuses to leave? Unless we get private, passworded lobbies, **** like that will happen.

Yeah I do, and I'm upset too, just trying to look at the bright side.

That's what I said, they should be able to have both. :(

Like I said, basic matchmaking feature to be able to do that easily, private parties and such, but since we don't know what they've done yet so we'll just have to wait and see.

Win/lose just doesn't make sense. Win/lose in what sense?

Win some pros, lose some pros. Except were losing more than were winning. Were possibly winning a better ranking system, but were losing all the other goodness.

Does it though?
Theoretically it should, just have to hope they know what they're doing. :(

SleepyHead, Blizzard has actually completely removed LAN playing from StarCraft 2. You will only be able to play with and against other players through Battle.net.
Except for lan support. Let me say that again, for dramatic effect. NO LAN SUPPORT.
MIDI maze, from 1987, had LAN support (then through MIDI ports, hence the name). This is a game that was released 22 years ago.
Yes, I know, but that's not a Bnet feature, just a multiplayer feature. Yeah, that sucks for some, like lanparty goers and what not, but that's another story.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Why is it another story? It's all about control (or perhaps, more poignantly, DRM).

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
I am currently waiting to see how this all develops and turns out. For all we know there's some super secret awesome new way of hooking up online that's on equal footing with dedicated servers. (one can hope)

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
How? It's been done many times before and it's provably not good enough. Even Supreme Commander -- an RTS -- couldn't really handle this "P2P" type of game connections. One guy would lag or have a slow computer and it would f**k up the whole game.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Indeed, in fact GPG and Stardock have been having the same problem with Demigod since the day it released.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Ooh, forgot about that one.

People are either disillusioned or ignorant. No dedicated servers is a bad thing. There might be some good features about match-making, and it's fine for the game to have it available, but there is no reason it should replace dedicated servers entirely. No dedicated servers at all is simply is not good enough.

The reason it "works" on consoles is because consoles are so f**king numerous. It's not that hard to find a group of people within a fairly small radius to throw together in a game with decent pings. Even for popular PC games the numbers don't really compare -- I wish I had stats but I want to say we're outnumbered 10:1 at least.

Less density means higher pings and worse connections.

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
Personally, it just doesn't affect me enough to formulate an overly negative (and informed) opinion about it. Not being in the scene of actively playing a lot of online competitive games (a little bit on steam with friends when I feel like it) sort of removes any worth my opinion may have in this case, but hey, I'm posting on the internet.

I enjoyed playing CoD4, I did not enjoy playing CoD5 as much, and I have the idea that I would enjoy playing MW2. I would be inclined to agree with people when the loss of dedicated servers seems (or turns out) to be a bad thing (it being my uninformed opinion), but then I do believe that the people working at Infinity Ward aren't the biggest idiots to have ever lived (in fact, they appear to be pretty smart, generally), and the fact that it's not a bunch of idiots gives me some hope for whatever this new IWnet turns out to be.

All I'm saying is I'll hold off on lighting my torch and finding my pitchfork until we can actually see what this thing actually does, as opposed of what we all assume/calculate/imagine/believe/think it does. Maybe I'm an idiot for doing that, but really it's just a game, and there's plenty of games out there that can be played. I'd rather direct my rage at TurdDrive's spelling and actively devolving my opinion on lots of forum members like a good little forumite.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Why is it another story?

Simply put, because I don't give a ****. :lol: If it affected me I would, but I have no gamer friends. :'(

So there's really no point in conversing about it or comparing it to MW2. That doesn't solve anything besides make us go off topic complaining about another game. :p

Last edited:

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
Thing is: complain about it now and we might actually see some changes or at least a confirmation that stuff will be changed and they are working on it, making the game a bit more of a safe buy.

Complain after the game has already launched and proven itself wrong, and you've spent 60 dollars without any guarantee stuff will improve. :)