[ClanBase] UT2004 just got screwed...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

briach

ಠ_ಠ DaReTaL ಠ_ಠ
Sep 2, 2005
º_º FeiShan º_º
Everyone knows who's going to win in ut2k4, whereas Q4 is actually competitive at higher levels and more players have a chance. Plus, I bet it really comes down to where the sponsor companies would like the money to go.

What I mean by no one plays, is no one good plays anymore and the tournament outcome would be more about, who was too lazy to go to bootcamp moreso than actual ability.

Last edited:

Dirdmister

Apr 12, 2004
Birmingham, England
dirdmister.bravehost.com
tdm and ictf was the right choice
if anything was gonna get an ec it shud of been tam, most signups in ut and its the most active (we get like 3/4 matches a week

was suprised that tdm got so much money tho, thought 1v1 wud of been the bigger for q4

ut2k4 tdm is boring to watch now, as is 1v1 and ictf...nwctf is dead in europe and ive never watched tam on utv so cant comment

@briach we cant be sure coz zetas been playing well, devilmc has come back; my moneys on killu tho

TraCK

Amateur Sketch
Apr 14, 2005
Kansas City
briach said:
Everyone knows who's going to win in ut2k4, whereas Q4 is actually competitive at higher levels and more players have a chance. Plus, I bet it really comes down to where the sponsor companies would like the money to go.

What I mean by no one plays, is no one good plays anymore and the tournament outcome would be more about, who was too lazy to go to bootcamp moreso than actual ability.

Well you are kind of contradicting yourself. No good players play anymore but everyone knows who's going to win? Who is going to win in your opinion? Some random sucki newb?

briach

ಠ_ಠ DaReTaL ಠ_ಠ
Sep 2, 2005
º_º FeiShan º_º
No one good plays in the community anymore(hence not playing anymore). It will just be some old timer coming back out of retirement, and ofcourse all the people that have played ut2k4 this long will still suck as much as they did before, so they wont be any challenge to the oldtimers.

It will just be lazy unmotivated oldtimers playing a dead game for some extra spending money. And it's not really anything as exciting as before. Everyone has peaked this late in the game, because the learning curve is so fast in the beginning, the only reason the best are the best is because they are more sharp and have superiour behaviour, thought, and personality. Boring etc.

nuttella

Scare
Nov 19, 2004
There's still prize money for UT99 CTF and TDM. People haven't peaked there yet? 15000 for CS (not Source) ffs...

briach

ಠ_ಠ DaReTaL ಠ_ಠ
Sep 2, 2005
º_º FeiShan º_º
ut99 actually had a worthy competitive scene, whereas ut2k4 was just too much of a joke. Ask any player that went ut99 to ut2k4 and went pro.

ALG

Gallardo
Jul 26, 2005
WI, with the other pro gamers
Briach I think your confusing cause and effect. The reason there aren't alot of pros that will show up for UT2k4 is that there is no prize money, not the other way around. Pros go where the money is.

It's clear from the raw numbers that UT2k4 is a more active and popular scene for the very good yet sub-pro teams and players. There is no money here though, so we won't see any/many of the old greats coming to duke it out.

The money probably comes from hardware companies for the sponserships correct? If so they want to sponser the more recent of this genre of each game (sci-fi shooter). This means Quake 4 will win. You don't need any new hardware really to play something like 1v1 or TDM or TAM with solid 85 fps and a decent level of detail. Therefore the sponsers won't touch it. The entire point of them putting money into the game for prizes is to get their name out there and hope to generate sales- somethig that isn't as likely to happen if they sponser older games that everyone can already play with current equiptment.

At least thats my best guess at the whole thing. I assume Q4 is more demanding in terms of recent hardware then UT2k4 since its much younger, but honestly I'm pretty ignorant on the subject.

SharKTanK

:zzz:
Oct 5, 2003
Manchester
Yeah I saw this. Join #eurocup.unreal if you're on QNet, Sel.

It's a ****ing joke tbqh. :tdown:

the OpenCup's should be fun though. One thing I've wanted to know is when the next couple Nations cups are going to be.

Edit:Haha d you got a point.
dc- said:
What the **** is with euro people and not using spaces. Prizemoney? It's prize money you tools. Die.

(10:09:40am) --» Now talking in: -- (#eurocup.unreal)
(10:09:40am) --» Topic: -- ([- People in here kindly asking Clanbase to create Eurocups for UT iCTF - UT2004 iCTF / TDM / TAM // We don´t need prizemoney, we just would like to have our ECs back! // Discussion Round with CB Sups: tba! -])

Last edited: