Can I be a server whilst playing?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Chapium

Jul 4, 2001
Give it a shot, in quake3 you would run a dedicated server, and then load up a second instance of the game

ZoMbiE

Feb 18, 2000
Visit site
yes, both unreal & ut select start game (that starts a listen server) after you go through the multiplayer screens. If you didn't want to play on the same comp you'd hit dedicated instead.

LP

*wants to be your friend*
Mar 2, 2001
Ireland
www.mvpb.net
type "winipcfg" in the Run meanu , find out ur IP Address, and tell the other players to type it in their open location box

ZoMbiE

Feb 18, 2000
Visit site
Looks like you can't run d3d in a window.

Just run a listen server. It uses o lot less resources than a dedicated and a client off the same machine. When you do that your sending 2x info out. 1 for the server and 1 for the client, then getting 2x back as well. Unless you have T1 or better I'd not suggest that.

TaoPaiPai

Commisaire Van Loc
Jun 13, 2000
Matnik
Visit site
BTW you don't need to use the method I suggested above to be able to play on your own server!

In the create server window just do NOT select dedicated and you'll be able to play.
But if you didn't know that already... just RTFM!!!1

TaoPaiPai

Commisaire Van Loc
Jun 13, 2000
Matnik
Visit site
Originally posted by Ciced
Okay so i've started the multiplayer game but when I minimize it to open the other game I get this error.

Does anyone know what's up or is it a reinstall job?
HEY I also had some crashes sometimes when starting dedicated servers but did you know that:
EVEN IF CRASHED YOUR SERVER CAN STILL BE RUNNING IN THE BACKGROUND.
I did that once,dedicated server had crashed,I had reopned UT and While browsing the internet list I found my server.
So when you have a dedicated server crashing an exiting to windows,make ctrl-alt-sup to make sure the server is really dead.

cool breeze

Yea, thats really me!
Some things to note.
If your on a phone line your IP will be different each time you connect. So, choose a server name that stands out!

Your sever name is how people can find you.

Like: COOL BREEZES SPOT

Also in the server drop menu, put a check in the advertize server box. (Otherwise you wont be listed).

If your playing and serving, keep the number of connections low,
like say 4-5.

Choose small tight maps, because if there are only 4 players and they cant find each other they get bored and leave.

And never choose (dedicated).
In Unreal, you could choose deicated/minimize/start game, and join in. With UT, I have found that dedicated is practically unplayable.

TaoPaiPai

Commisaire Van Loc
Jun 13, 2000
Matnik
Visit site
no,if you tick 'advertise',the name of the server will be displayed in the internet list of the UT browser.If you don't tick that option,it won't appear and unwanted player won't be able to connect to your game (you'll have to distribute the IP address to your friends)

DoubleXross

Jun 27, 2001
Visit site
they are all right, i think. I often run the server from the same computer as i play because my brother/friends want a private server that we can have our own games on. I dont run a dedicated server, just start a new multiplay game, then tell them my ip. They join. Im behind a firewall so i have to do a little extra work to let them join but in the end were all there instagibbing eachother.

P.S. What is the differance between a dedicated server as opposed to a regular. Is it better to run dedicated on one machine in a LAN game ane have everyone connect to that, or just have 1 person run the game (start new multiplayer game), normally and the rest connect?

thanx
-=DoubleXross=-

[IMD1]KillRoy

Suck my boomstick!
Dedicated is better I Think because your 'puter doesnt have to do all the extra things in order to start a game (interfase, graphics and all that)

For a Lan I would use a ded. server on a dedicated pc...
But if you just want to play with some mates a listen server would work fine...

Also if you run a server on the internet keep you max player count low, as your server would be lagging like hell if you dont. In you unrealtournament.ini you can set your client rate ( this is set to 20000 and is based on LAN) this is way to hight for internet game play

if you have a upstream of 256 Kbps end you set your maxclientrate to 5000, you can host a game for 6 clients at isdn quality.

More info you can get here

LP

*wants to be your friend*
Mar 2, 2001
Ireland
www.mvpb.net
im going to run a Lan tomorrow , for 2 peeps.
are my specs okay?
768mb ram(or somethiung like that)
duron 800 clocked to 1 GIG
i think this should run okay , but is there anything else i need, im using a 10/100mbps ethernet card, so am i in tha cleaar?