BU Logo concepts

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Jefe

The Dark Rat
Nov 11, 2008
T E X A S
www.vgmp3.org
I like this font the best of the new ones, but I still like the classic helvetica. The U looks a bit too yellow/orange to me, and the angle it's rotated to just seems awkward. The color suits the dark theme with it's orange accents, but doesn't work on its own. I'd love to see a more metallic surface with engravings and scratches or rivets or something.

Arcturus

Not From Bloody Starcraft
Jan 23, 2000
Totally Not Korhal IV
That font, I dunno, it doesn't really do much for me, though I'm not quite sure why. It just seems a bit too 'generically sci-fi' to me. It's the sort of font I'd expect to see in-game text written in, rather than a logo. Having the italics alongside the 3D logo isn't the best choice either, since they go in opposite directions and it looks awkward. I have the Blender file available if anyone wants to do different angles with the U, I just traced over a render to get that logo.

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Based on the comments on layouts and components, it seems the logo is going to be the same as before, just with a new paint scheme. Seems like most people prefer the classic font and emblem, so you might as well stick with that. At least, if you have all that redrawn you will have the necessary formats to keep the product handy for a multitude of applications. No need to harangue about this and that. Keep it simple.

Crotale

Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
They do look slightly blurred in the preview, but I clicked to full view and it looked fine to me. I merely put it together as a new avenue to explore, but whatever. I took it down, as I don't feel the need to redraw if there is no interest.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Based on the comments on layouts and components, it seems the logo is going to be the same as before, just with a new paint scheme. Seems like most people prefer the classic font and emblem, so you might as well stick with that. At least, if you have all that redrawn you will have the necessary formats to keep the product handy for a multitude of applications. No need to harangue about this and that. Keep it simple.
I'm actually not opposed to retooling the font and I kind of like the direction you were going with yours. Having the striking Y is a cool concept.

I also would be interested in seeing some texture to the U and maybe moving from yellow a little bit more towards gold.

Arcturus

Jan 23, 2000
Totally Not Korhal IV
Could you explain what you mean by "from yellow and towards gold" because my last logos I shifted towards yellow, which I thought was more gold-ish? Am I on the right lines? Or do you want them more orange?

[GU]elmur_fud

I have balls of Depleted Uranium
Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Could you explain what you mean by "from yellow and towards gold" because my last logos I shifted towards yellow, which I thought was more gold-ish? Am I on the right lines? Or do you want them more orange?

I think he means...
uWElxbz.jpg

... Since the U is 3D it would need to be rendered. For me that means re-installing lightwave and finding that dang dongle... since blender is annoying the crap out of me.

Arcturus

Jan 23, 2000
Totally Not Korhal IV
Damn jd, you put all our efforts to shame! :(

bulogoclassic05.png
I'm putting this forward as a possible final logo, depending on what people think of it. The reflection/shine stuff probably isn't perfect because I did it all manually, and judged it all pretty much by instinct. Its all done with gradients in Flash, so I have it in fully scalable vector form. Any thoughts?

Edit: here's another version with a more consistant gradient for the text.

bulogoclassic05b.png

Last edited:

[GU]elmur_fud

Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
Damn jd, you put all our efforts to shame! :(

View attachment 103402
I'm putting this forward as a possible final logo, depending on what people think of it. The reflection/shine stuff probably isn't perfect because I did it all manu ally, and judged it all pretty much by instinct. Its all done with gradients in Flash, so I have it in fully scalable vector form. Any thoughts?

Edit: here's another version with a more consistant gradient for the text.

View attachment 103403
It looks good to me, if I had any feedback it would have to be that I think the second would look better if the gradient came to a sharp edge but at scale that shouldn't matter much so I digress. Of course, knowing me, I would be trying to make the colors brighter on the U but that would probably mess with the gold effect.

Crotale

Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
The first one with the smoother gradient works better, in my opinion. It further allows the U to stand out while giving your text some breathing room on its own.

[GU]elmur_fud

Mar 15, 2005
Waco, Texas
mtbp.deviantart.com
I got a little bored...

At size for use. (helps with perspective IMO.)
7SaQO9I.png

A larger size for giggles.

40XN6wz.png

The font is called Unrealised.

Rendered the 'U' in lightwave with gold and chrome textures to be similar to what is on the main page. The rendering sucks because I only ever make low poly models with hand painted textures and have only very rarely rendered anything.

Reactions: Jefe