Bright screen after INF crash

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Apr 21, 2003
Europe
When INF crashes I'm returned to the desktop, but the screen is extremely bright then, as INF is ingame. Am I able to change the brightness somehow without to restart the PC?

Does it happen with OpenGL only?

theRoadStroker

A Dickcheese Faggot
May 28, 2005
try right clicking in deskscope and chose settings\properties\advanced then choose "color tab" or something (depending on your video card ) and it should fix it ... atleast for me :p

zeep

:(
Feb 16, 2001
Visit site
I had this too with my geforce. What road said almost always fixed it, otherwise a reboot was the only cure. The opengl renderer simply doesn't get put back to standard desktop brightness, if the color tab (go there, press default and ok) doesn't fix it, then reboot.
You can also use an older opengl renderer in the ut system dir, thats what i did before i went to ati's 9800.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
@geogob:
Relaunching and quitting INF doesn't help, I tried. At least it never helped when I tried this earlier, have to try it again.

@zeep:
Can you explain exactly how to use the old OpenGL drivers?

@color tab:
Look at pic and tell me how to proceed? Ok, it's german, but I think I'm at the correct place there.

Attachments

• color-tab.JPG
    color-tab.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 20

zeep

Feb 16, 2001
Visit site
Psychomorph said:
@color tab:
Look at pic and tell me how to proceed? Ok, it's german, but I think I'm at the correct place there.
Go to the Geforce tab, then to the color tab in there.

About the old opengl driver; My GF2 used to run Inf best with the Detonator 30.10 drivers. So whenever i updated them, i used the 30.10 opengl.dll ( copied from /win/system ) and put that in ut/system dir. That way Inf always used that driver. But anyway, i don't think you have to do that. The newer nvidia drivers are all splendid for opengl.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
In the GeForce tab they is this menu, they is only a section called "Farbkorrektur", means "color correction", guess that is this "color tap", but what to do there? The bottom, right has a button called "Standartwerte wiederherstellen", means "enable standart settings", but it makes the screen even brighter, because I use customized color settings, to darken the screen (screwed up monitor, is to bright with the brightness pannel setting allready at 0).

Attachments

• color-tab.JPG
    color-tab.JPG
    85.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

zeep

Feb 16, 2001
Visit site
Ok then reboot your pc > then set the color to what you like > save the profile.

Next time your colors are messed up go there > select your profile (or use mousewheel to quickly swap profiles and reselect yours) > Apply. Colors should be normal then.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
It doesn't help either.

When I select this customized color setting, the custom brightness/gamma will be restored (in case if the setting is lost), but the brightness caused by INF stays.

If I use Direc3D, I don't have such problems, but OpenGL is faster.

zeep

Feb 16, 2001
Visit site
Hmm. Seems you will have to reboot everytime then. It's strange because what happens is that the brightness isn't put back to the normal value. Logically when you execute your default profile the brightness should be reset.
Lastly it can be a bug with your current drivers. If all else fails maybe you can try different ones. You can also search in www.guru3d.com forum for issues with UT opengl and drivers etc. I've gotten a lot of help there in the past.

*edit* Also, in your last screenshot there is a section 'overlay' , try a different setting there for your default profile. Overlay is normally used for fullscreen renderering/movies IIRC. If there is another option besides overlay then select that one and try what i said in post #9.

Last edited:

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
I have the same issue. Only way I found to fix it was to reboot. Restarting the game and exiting didn't help.

BTH

Dickcheese Faggot
Nov 12, 2005
Spain
i get that when i open UED3 and sometimes when INF crashes. You get used to it quickly if you turn off your screen and turn it back on :p

chuckus

Can't stop the bum rush.
Sep 23, 2001
Visit site
IT happens to me on ocassion. USually I'mtoo lazy to do anything and I get used to it. Then I have to reboot for an install or crash and I get all surprised how dark everything is. It's a vicious cycle.

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
@Ολεθρος:
BTW, thx very much, that helps perfectly.

@chuckus:
Use the prog Ολεθρος posted, it helps. Just start it and click "OK" (it standartly shows gamma 1.0, which will be adjusted).