Borderlands [PC]

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
If think it's a little more than just in prefixes and suffixes.

The way I understand it, they have thousands of models of various gun parts (barrel, grip, sights, clips etc.) and then the software combines those to then create these over half a million unique weapons.

"Thousands upon thousands of barrels, grips, knife attachments, ammo, and clips are mixed and matched resulting in over 500,000 unique weapons."
-Game Informer

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
well I just love choices.

whether it's a thousand or actually ends up being half a million different types of weapons, it's fair to say I'm foaming at the mouth for this game.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Yeah, I'm going to guess there's probably 50-70 weapons in the game with different effects, attachments, accuracy, recoil, damage, explosion radius, ETC.. ETC. They said trees are non-existent on there, so wood fabrics are really rare. Kinda like gold weapons. They're just for looks.

AK-47
AK-47 w/ silencer
AK-47 w/ scope
AK-47 w/ silencer & scope
AK-47 w/ bayonet
AK-47 w/ bayonet & scope
AK-47 w/ bayonet & silencer

You get the picture

I'd also guess some parts from each weapons are replaceable by that AI. So one weapon can look entirely different. Kinda like how a Mitsubishi manufacturer can't recognize a fully tuned up eclipse with new body kits.

Last edited:

ilkman

Mar 1, 2001
East coast
Oh, yes. I forgot about the parts. I think I read that somewhere.

They can do it however they want just as long as I get my bazooka that shoots laser eye sharks riding cavalry bears!

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Well, you prefer no respawn and start over, ala classic old games?

"How sad." :p

You really don't need a silly respawn system that doesn't give death penalty. :p
That's my biggest concern about BioShock.

I'm sure the way you read it in the article and the way it is done in-game is entirely different.
Or I hope... D: There HAS to be death penalties.

Last edited:

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
if we went down, could still shoot (albeit with limited range of movement) until help arrived or we bled out.
I like that

Wish I could remember the name, but there was a "RPS" a while back, was more high-tech/futuristic looking but didn't really last very long
Borderlands might be the next WoW tho

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
Yeah I see what you mean. But hey maybe the penalty is walking back all the way to the fight, that seems big enough. Any loot dropped during the fight while you aren't there isn't yours for the taking.

Guess we'll see.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Yeah fair enough Bioshock was a huge joke with this whole "I carry useless health packs around" constantly respawning at big Daddies fights in a zombie fashion. The way he said in the article "Instantly and Bioshock" was, "SRSLY DUDE, U SURE BOUT DAT?"

Breaks this whole "Survival" point in the game that is really important. Especially in a game where the set is RPG/Adventure. It doesn't matter in DM games for instance, you just lose your inventory you picked up in the map. Takes a few seconds to start over again..

I'm not a game designer, but I can think of many ways of including a death penalty system.
IE, XP lost. Random/Least important inventory lost, Item condition lost. ETC..

Last edited:

Soggy_Popcorn

THE Irish Ninja
Feb 3, 2008
We don't use UE3's stock lighting. We wrote our own that performs better. We do use shadow maps in some places that act as a shadow LOD of sorts out beyond the render distance of the dynamic shadows, so there is a small compile time, but it's never any longer that a minute or so. It's usually only a few seconds for most of our maps. We don't use any light-maps as far as I know.

Sounds awesome. It's about time devs started doing this.

3. Borderlands isn't Arma2. We have different goals with our game. We do have big open areas with lots of content, but the level structure isn't the same as Arma.

Hehe, I wasn't complaining about the view distances, just saying they weren't that long ;)

Mozi

Zer0 as a number
Apr 12, 2002
In the Borderlands..
www.mozidesign.com
Interesting.

Not having the 4 core characters on the box, but rather a dude that wants to be shot in the head. It does catch your attention if one happened to see this sitting on the shelves at Best Buy or Gamestop.

Last edited:

Soggy_Popcorn

THE Irish Ninja
Feb 3, 2008
Interesting box art. Perhaps a tad tasteless though? ... Also, I would agree, it seems to have little to do with the game shown so far.

Majik

blargh
Jun 24, 2004
Denmark
Well, I for one like it. :)

It's different and sure as hell looks a lot better than the hundreds of generic covers out there depicting the main protagonist looking all serious with a gun in his hand. Now I'm just hoping the Euro cover will look the same.

Also, I would agree, it seems to have little to do with the game shown so far.
I'd rather see the 4 main characters or logo for the box art. Or both.

I haven't paid close attention to this game, but I think it catches the Mad Max vibe I've been getting from what little I've seen and read about it quite well. Also, I would think the setting and style of the game are going to appeal more than the story and main characters, so I'd rather they communicate that like they've done rather than having characters or story elements on there.