Blams

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Nc4 is coming. And nalicity keeps getting better.

Some people might think i have a good idea. Some might want to kill me for making the worst sreenshot thread a future useless thread. But...

What about just Deleting those crapy levels that everyone brag about? Let's say that you work on a project for like 3 months, upload it on nalicity. Then get like 30 downloads until a bunch of crapy sniper clan maps gets in the list Period. What would you do? Even just 2 of those can distract some people and make them give up so hard they just want to close thier internet browser.

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
I understand and support the frustration and know those map are crap but I cant just delete them. Where to draw the line if you start deleting ? Who or what decides what map can stay in and what not..Its too vague and subjective
Everyone is free to upload his map, regardless of quality, and if it sucks then the comments will show..
Ignoring those maps wont save your day. It will do nothing about this "omg cube map is more popular than my awesome map" because it will just carry on on other sites and servers, youll only hide it from your eyes to make yourself believe its a better world :)

MassChAoS

echo "NaliCity";
May 23, 2002
www.chaoticdreams.org
The only thing that should be removed, imo, is maps that really can't load because they're missing a package. However, such kinds of maps should be few because we're detecting them before they're added. Previous maps that don't load are likely to get filtered out at the beginning of NC4.

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
So make crapy maps.

All they got to do is make those lists 20 long instead of 10, 20 is not overwhelming and should fit the timespan of site oploads and comment history very well.

Way it works now is one map sticks uptop, next day its allmost off the list,then for a week it stays the same, then your map gets pushed out.
All they need is 20 maps in all three lists,problem solved.

Wich would also take preasure off of when they have to update new maps, because 5 maps could come in and still have more list time for the others for a week or more.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Well, crapy maps = bad reputation and crappy maps prove nothing else but that you know how to open the editor.

Melsoft For example.... Ok, nuff said.

ReD_Fist

Sep 6, 2004
Michigan
Kantham said:
Well, crapy maps = bad reputation and crappy maps prove nothing else but that you know how to open the editor.

Melsoft For example.... Ok, nuff said.

It was a joke.

Cyrss

Nov 20, 2005
UK
Crappy maps?

Hi,

Well... Yeah,maps with missing textures/bits and peeces should be deleted if theres no updated version available,I agree with myself....but Authors that upload "below standard" custom maps and are called 'just opened the editor and pressed ctrl a bit noobs' is slighty wrong...

Praise the new peeps and their mapping skills will grow...lol...UNRedX.0 can be very difficult to understand sometimes.

BTW...Do you know where can I find a DX50 codec download site?

IndySkyz

Don't F with me! Biatch
Nov 21, 2005
Kantham you really seem to think your opinion of a maps quality, should be our opinion, and I am very sorry to say but in alot of cases it is not, instead of slamming mappers who try but dont live up to your standards, why don't you try to look for the one good thing in their maps, maybe its not eye-candy maybe its a gimmic, trap, or just a good layout that makes playing fun, and then encourage them to improve.

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I was speaking for those maps which don't even use a proper in-game screenshot and are just basicly a simple subtracted cube. I helped a lot of people to improve, A whole lot more than you think, these people don't post here at nalicity, they posted on the mapping forums, UP and some clan forums. I did a lot for the comunity so i don't try to bring them down. Like i said in my first post, crappy maps that take like 3 minutes to make, with some random google face or whatnot should be killed. What you think the guy cares maybe? No he don't, at least not after submiting a such waste and making people lose their time on it.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
So i start to get more fans. Good, is the custom user title and avatar are related too?

IndySkyz

Don't F with me! Biatch
Nov 21, 2005
No really lets be serious here, I like the idea of not having to waste time with crappy maps, but first off this site used to be for all levels of mappers, and that means total noobs as well as seasoned wanna-be pros. So unless Nalicity wants to change its image to a site strickly for pro or semi-pro mappers, then doing as you purpose is unfiar to the new people. If they do decide to do it then it would be nice to let all mappers know that they are subject to approval as to weather thier map meets semi-pro to pro standards.
What you fail to see is that the UT community(meaning the people who play UT) actually like some of the so called crap maps you speak of, so really what you are trying to do here is take this map site away from the masses and turn it into a leet for the leet mappers only site. Not a bad idea IMHO.

PS. and yes the user title also fits in your case, but the avatar is just for looks, cool aint it?

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
A single design won't please everyone... That's why NC4 should come with 'customizable' accounts. Let us see only what each one want to see: 'If I don't have the old UT, let me hide every UT map from the list; If I hate vehicles, don't show me ONS maps; If I think Arena maps are crap, don't show me them and I won't be writing harsh comments about quality on them...' Deleting maps is something unfair IMO, everyone has the right to map and show off their work... but users that are not going to download a map for sure shouldn't see it... Just give us more customizing options... ;)

Last edited:

MassChAoS

echo "NaliCity";
May 23, 2002
www.chaoticdreams.org
Not a bad idea, but are you saying hide them from the latest additions/reviews/comments lists... or from search? Searching is already that customizable (and shall be again).

Any other reasonable suggestions?

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Well for something Reasonable...

Having a favorite mapper and map section would be great.

Twrecks

Spectacularly Lucky
Mar 6, 2000
In Luxury
www.twrecks.info
Please do not start removing "sub-par" maps from the database.
Last time Luquado did this they reappeared, and many were re-reviewed with the expected low scores, again.
I used to make it a point to review bad maps as well as good maps, to try to help the community learn, and keep an average score, uh... average. It doesn't do any good to have only good maps be reviewed, it makes it look like we are elitist. If someone has time and bandwidth, they are free to submit an application as a reviewer and begin a one paragraph reviewing spree like Qualthwar did in the UT99 days. These can be very helpful in soliciting comments, and placing a true objective number on maps that may have misleading user scores.

Hopefully the new year will bring me an upgrade both in hardware and connectivity, till then, leave the database as is, post realistic user scores!