Battlefield3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I personally am LOVING this game. It is definitely the best PC shooter in the last five years, as far as I'm concerned (and yeah, it's imperfect, but it is wonderful).
I can really only see saying that it's the "best shooter of the last five years" if the last "best shooter" on your list was BF2142 and prior to that was Battlefield 2.

Have played a few hours of this on a friend's PS3 and all I can say is that DICE has still not surpassed the original versions of BF1942 in terms of entertainment value and quality of experience. Yeah, the game has its fun moments and the core gameplay is pretty decent but most of the game feels like a poor attempt to match BF2 mixed with a rather average attempt to compete with Call of Duty. I can't see how so many people are enamored with the game myself, but then I always said that about Counter-Strike as well and it is still one of the top 5 most played games ever.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Doesn't matter, really. It's worse on PS3 I'm sure, but there are things about the game that don't have to do with bad aiming that I dislike.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
I can really only see saying that it's the "best shooter of the last five years" if the last "best shooter" on your list was BF2142 and prior to that was Battlefield 2.

Have played a few hours of this on a friend's PS3 and all I can say is that DICE has still not surpassed the original versions of BF1942 in terms of entertainment value and quality of experience. Yeah, the game has its fun moments and the core gameplay is pretty decent but most of the game feels like a poor attempt to match BF2 mixed with a rather average attempt to compete with Call of Duty. I can't see how so many people are enamored with the game myself, but then I always said that about Counter-Strike as well and it is still one of the top 5 most played games ever.

Well, the 5 years number was more or less pulled out of thin air, but since BF2, I can only think of a few shooters that have really captured me. (the original MW was great, L4D--which is sort of an entirely other game-- a few others. This being my favorite of all of them).

Your impressions about the game, however, are worthless. The PS3 only allows for 32person games, the maps are smaller, etc. It isn't about the fact that the aim sucks on a console, it is that the experience is fundamentally different. The Metro rush map from the demo was fun enough, but has been the absolutely WORST experience I have had with the game.

The best experiences I've had have all been on 64 person maps with lots of air support. These are the matches where you have a couple of fighters fighting each other/helis, helis straffing squads, engineers on the ground trying to take out air/fight tanks, tanks dominating flags/blown up by engineers or reckless support units (with their c4), infantry battles spring up out of nowhere, massive desctruction, etc. These are things you simply cannot get when each team is limited to 16 people.

Maybe you have had other complaints, but unless you play for an hour on a 64 person server, you haven't really played the game.

Last edited:

Cr4zyB4st4rd

I make awesome ©
Aug 8, 2008
P'Boro, UK
That's what irritates me about many recent multi-platform games. Devs have either forgotten how to do mouse input or re-translate it into some kind of controller emulation

Best bit was it worked in the BETA and is fucked in the final :lol:

You can help sorta fix the piss poor acceleration by putting your DPI as low as possible and cranking up the ingame sensitivity, it's an annoying fix and it still doesn't feel right but it's certainly better.

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
From what I've heard hitreg was perfect in Alpha, Ok in Beta and drek in Final. You can't explain that

Also, so screwy that we have "gaming" mice that can go up to 5000+DPI, yet have to keep it around 1000 or less to avoid bottoming out sens settings in games

Seriously, why the hell haven't devs figured out yet that PC players DON'T want mouse accel?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Maybe you have had other complaints, but unless you play for an hour on a 64 person server, you haven't really played the game.
If the game requires 64 players to be entertaining, then the game will die sooner rather than later.

That said, most of my complaints are about fundamental gameplay decisions and not about the number of people playing, the frequency of action/getting kills, etc. The problem with the latter aspects of the game is that somehow in BF1942 (before they patched it several times and ruined practically every entertaining aspect of the game) you could have a massively entertaining game with less than 16 players on a server with tons of action and lots of awesome scenarios.

DICE hasn't recaptured that and it seems that they never will. You shouldn't have to have massive maps and lots of players to have a good time with a game, especially a "military shooter". You should be able to get 6 people together at a LAN and play it and have fun.

Cr4zyB4st4rd

I make awesome ©
Aug 8, 2008
P'Boro, UK
From what I've heard hitreg was perfect in Alpha, Ok in Beta and drek in Final. You can't explain that

Also, so screwy that we have "gaming" mice that can go up to 5000+DPI, yet have to keep it around 1000 or less to avoid bottoming out sens settings in games

Seriously, why the hell haven't devs figured out yet that PC players DON'T want mouse accel?

Didn't play alpha, hitreg was crap in BETA and is still crap in final.

Devs decided client side hit detection was clever. Because they're idiots.

Twrecks

Spectacularly Lucky
Mar 6, 2000
In Luxury
www.twrecks.info
seems like somene didn't like the game much. :lol:

Love the escapist! Spot on about the QTE events and plot line. Seriously, will anyone develop an original idea ever again?

How about...

Senario 1: Civil war breaks out in the U.S. because how effed up our government/corporations, and you either fight for the ppl or help bone the average Joe.

Senario 2: Collapse of oil production leads to Anarchy, Be Mad Max or roaming steam punk bandits. K, MB not terribly original :p

Senario 3: Texas secedes from the Union, fight for the lone star state and sister states joining the rebels, or be a tool of the Feds. (see #1)

Senario 4: Dollar collapses forcing our military to secure scare resources for the homeland, go bust a$$ where ever the U.S. needs $h1t.

Senario 5: EU tanks into chaos, go fight NATO to retrieve ex-patriots abroad. MB you get to nuke France in the process :)

Senario 6: Carribean zombie drug lords have alien technology, fight the waves of undead skinhead junkies in a post apocalyptic world (Nukes and bio-weapons didn't work so noone has hair, *sniff*) to the secret base in the south pole with a final boss fight with a amped out warlock Hitler still alive in league with extraterrestrials, witches, Elvis impersonators and scientologists. Mmmm, cheeseburgers :D