Another SSP update, now with more PCP! KILL YOUR PARENTS!!!!!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SolaceEternal

SPANK THAT TUNA
Apr 29, 2004
RegularX said:
I really like the stationary shield idea. I had tried to build that into Riftwar, but it never quite worked out.

People probably saw it, saw they couldn't move with it, and thought to themselves "OMFG screw this." And went to something else.

...Um... wait.

Never worked out, how? Couldn't get the code to work? Or just didn't end up in the way you wanted?

SolaceEternal

SPANK THAT TUNA
Apr 29, 2004
...more brainstorming. Accursed ADHD. -_-'

Anyway.

Perhaps a little spin on this: weaknesses and strongpoints to certain types of damage.

Example.

The robots, due to the plating, would make bullet-based weaponry nearly worthless if fighting one. Thus, they'd be nearly impervious to the assault rifle and mini-gun, and on a side note they'd probably get a defensive bonus against explosive weapons, too. However, being mechanical, they'd be extremely subceptable to energy weapons (link, biorifle, Raptor shots, and so on.) For a little balance they'd probably end up having their max speed cut somewhat, to make them appear more automated, natural if you will.

The cyborgs would do this to a lesser degree, since they're part flesh and part machine. Like... around %50 of the bonuses and weaknesses of the robots.

The mercs would be the balance point, having no bonuses from this, but no weaknesses either.

The mokai and egyptian would have the same relationship as the robots and cyborgs, respectively, but in reverse; weaker to bullets, but stronger to energy. (Probably no explosion bonus; no idea how to compensate for this.) o_o;

Nightmare/Hellion... would probably be weak to about everything (again, respectively.) This could be compensated with some sort of uber-ability... I dunno, raising the dead or something. Like... raising a new corpse to follow you around and fight for you (as a skeliton, of course.) For balance, the nightmares' redead would be stronger than the hellion's.

....wow. No idea where this came out. o_o

Anyway. Again, this is merely a suggestion; take whatever ideas you like and integrate them and modify them as much as you want.

SolaceEternal

SPANK THAT TUNA
Apr 29, 2004
(...it's kinda nice someone's actually listening to the crap I offer. Change of pace, yes, but still.)

Tamaria

May 5, 2004
On command ability suggestions

You may have already decided what you wanted to do with Nightmares, but it seems to be that a vampire melee attack would be most appropriate for them. That would be, it does considerable less damage than, say, the Juggernauts' knockback ability, but would give them health back, simulating, say, reaching out and taking a bite out of the nearest victim.

If there's an argument for a shield on command, it would be for the robots.

Also, I did notice there is no readily apparent link to the actual mod discussed here. I read through all the posts and it certainly didn't jump out at me. Where is the actual mod living? Or do you only hand it out to specific beta testers?

Thanks!

Tamaria

May 5, 2004
BAH! I'M BLIND!

It's right there at the bottom of the first post. Dhuh. I'm blind. Sorry. Don't mind me.

ROFL 451

Twisted Mind
Dec 25, 2003
Darkness
ROFL lives! :D

Have been trolling these forums as a guest because I forgot my pass and was too lazy to ask for it again.

Anyway! I heard you speaking of Skaarj blades, and it brought up an interesting project I have been working on. Wrist Blades :p

I watched Predator again about a month ago and decided to make wrist blades. All I have left is to finish modelling the blades themselves and texture them, code them and so forth. But the model is mostly finished.

I am teh suck at modelling hands (see the pics) but I think they might pass.

So, Wong, I will make the wrist blades a separate mute, but if you want em, just ask for em ;)

Screens:

Attachments

• Blades.JPG
    Blades.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Blades2.JPG
    Blades2.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 32

EvilDrWong

Every line of code elevates you
Jun 16, 2001
Inside the machine
Visit site
SolaceEternal said:
(...it's kinda nice someone's actually listening to the crap I offer. Change of pace, yes, but still.)
SHUT UP! ;)
Im gonna expand the amount of abilities a species can have and include OPTIONAL damagetype resistance. For now itll be static (meaning itll only work against stock weapons), but if i get my way and epic includes those settings, it should be fully compatible with non-stock weapons.

Tamaria: Chances are that you were looking at the thread right after i removed the attachment from one of the other posts, but before i moved it to the first post ;)

ROFL: To keep file size down i dont think ill be including any art assets aside from maybe small icons. I want to keep the file size as small as possible, cause downloading a 4 meg mutator over 15 versions would get old really quick ;) Thanks very much for the offer though! :D The hands look pretty decent... but the chocolate bar blades just aint CUTTING it! har har har... heh... hoo boy... that was awesome...

Ok, full feature list as of right now:

Each species has unique combat statistics including:
Jump Height, Run Speed, Swimming Speed, Dodge Distance and height, Maximum Health and Super Health, Damage received modifier, Damage Dealt modifier, Acceleration, Air Control, Minimum Adrenaline on spawn, and Shields on spawn, as well as what extra weapon members of the species get at spawn.

Current list of passive and active abilities:
Thorns - Mirrors 10% of damage received back to the attacker
Regeneration - Heal 1 health a second as long as you are alive, up to your Max Health.
Vampire - Receive 40% of damage dealt to soft targets (players) back in health, up to regular health limit.
Energy Leech - Receive 30% of damage dealt to vehicles back in health, up to regular health limit.
Massive - completely nullifies most 'push' from taking enemy fire.
Dual Assault Rifles - Spawn with a second assault rifle and extra AR ammo.
Grenades - Throw a moderate damage hand grenade for some adrenaline
Plasma Grenades - Throw a high damage, short range sticky grenade for some adrenaline.
Knockback - Push enemies away from you at the cost of some adrenaline (The Massive ability does not counter this.)
Rocket Volley - Fire three low damage missiles from your shoulder at the cost of some adrenaline.
Drunk Missiles - Fire 5 moderate damage drunken missiles from your shoulder at the cost of some adrenaline. (Drunk missiles fly around taking random trajectory changes, theyre very inaccurate but good for suppressive fire.)

Currently in progress:
Melee strike - Hits a badguy for great damage at close range. They shouldnt be that close anyway, teach em a lesson!
Damage Family resistance - Certain races will be more resistant to types of damage than others (Biological, Energy, Bullet, Explosive)
Invisibility - Like the adrenaline combo, but doesnt require full adrenaline to activate. Has an 8 second 'cool down' period between uses.
Full Shielding - Activate this power to cover yourself in a very strong forcefield. You will not be able to move very fast at all and you wont be able to jump more than a couple inches. (Its hard to force bots to listen to certain rules, so instead of penalizing human players, stopping them completely is out of the question for now... even though bots dont know how to use the abilities ;))

Last edited:

SolaceEternal

SPANK THAT TUNA
Apr 29, 2004
EvilDrWong said:

...Yeah, that's the responce I'm used to getting. ._.

^^;

Anyway.

Finally tried this thing out last night. I like how it's coming along, but... the only differences I could truely notice was that the robots didn't seem to have a command abillity (you probably already mentioned this; I have a flat-out HORRIBLE memory span) ><; and their life was up by 10%, and I noticed the mo'kari (sp? It's just too damn early) were slightly faster.

IMO, the changes made should be somewhat instantly felt as soon as you try it out, meaning most (if not all) of the primary status changes you've made (speed, health, etc.) should be just about instantly realized when you first play it.

In other words, I'm asking if you can kick it up a notch. ("Holy crap! This mo'kara guy can freakin' <i> book </i> across this map, but he can't take more than a couple of hits..." or "Christ is this Juggernaut slow, but damn, he can take a freaking beating!" That sort of thing.)

If you do start leaning towards this, I have a feeling it'll see more action, especially in team games like... well, all of them. In a deathmatch there probably wouldn't be much use of this (everyone would probably go for the hardest-hitting; not much sense getting a fast guy if there's really no reason to) but in CTF? This would be a blast. Lightning-speed mo'kara flying (manner of speaking) for a flag cap, while hard-hitting juggs an' robots give plenty of support fire and/or defending the base.

EvilDrWong

Jun 16, 2001
Inside the machine
Visit site
In the UT2004/System folder there should be a xUpgraded.ini, and in that ini will be all of the settings for each species. I believe i went over them very briefly in the readme (gets put into your Help folder, Readme-SpeciesStatsPlus.txt)
If you're feeling saucy you can muck around in there and set things up the way youd like. Keep in mind though, that almost all of the settings use a regular multiplier. So double speed ( 200% ) would mean a value of 2.0 would go to the stat.
I'll try and work in presets of some sort, but dont expect them to be very pretty ;)

SolaceEternal

SPANK THAT TUNA
Apr 29, 2004
EvilDrWong said:
In the UT2004/System folder there should be a xUpgraded.ini, and in that ini will be all of the settings for each species. I believe i went over them very briefly in the readme (gets put into your Help folder, Readme-SpeciesStatsPlus.txt)
If you're feeling saucy you can muck around in there and set things up the way youd like. Keep in mind though, that almost all of the settings use a regular multiplier. So double speed ( 200% ) would mean a value of 2.0 would go to the stat.
I'll try and work in presets of some sort, but dont expect them to be very pretty ;)

Sweet. Looking forward to it.

ROFL 451

Twisted Mind
Dec 25, 2003
Darkness
EvilDrWong said:
ROFL: To keep file size down i dont think ill be including any art assets aside from maybe small icons. I want to keep the file size as small as possible, cause downloading a 4 meg mutator over 15 versions would get old really quick ;) Thanks very much for the offer though! :D The hands look pretty decent... but the chocolate bar blades just aint CUTTING it! har har har... heh... hoo boy... that was awesome

Lol! The Blades arent done yet :lol: I'm adding detail as we speak!

EvilDrWong

Jun 16, 2001
Inside the machine
Visit site
New version! Weeee!!! (Attached to top of the thread.)

Changes in this one: Four new command abilities! Only two of them are used by default though :(
Drunk Missiles - Fly around all willy nilly, do pretty good damage if they hit. (Unused)
Rocket Salvo - Fires 3 rockets in a straight line. Pretty OK damage.
Hellfire - I think it looks really farkin cool ;)
Invisibility - Toggles invisibility as long as youve got spare adrenaline for it. (Unused)

Added the two new settings. Spawn shields wont do anything apparent, because none of the species have their shield amount set yet. Afraid of screwing up the delicate balance by overpowering one race :p Any ideas for good values?
Minimum adrenaline will, if you dont have enough, raise your adrenaline to a species defined minimum level. Its set at 10 for all races right now... which means some races wont be able to fire their powers right as they spawn, others will be able to fire it a couple times.

Stuff to look forward to in the next version:
More abilities! You guys are such a great help, thank you VERY much! :D
Presets! Will be limited to 5 presets total, but if thats not enough ill set it a bit higher for ya :)
and uh... more stuff you guys would like to see?

Last edited:

SolaceEternal

SPANK THAT TUNA
Apr 29, 2004
..um... if there's a minimum level, doesn' that mean that if they do a combo, it'll make it infinite? :confused:

EvilDrWong

Jun 16, 2001
Inside the machine
Visit site
No, it only raises your adrenaline when you Spawn. Probably shoulda said that, eh? ;) And since combos are deactivated when you die, it shouldnt cause any weird 'infinite combo' issues.

Kangus

Zombie on your pwn!
Jan 29, 2001
Illinois, USA
www.planetunreal.com
Hellfire's pretty damn cool man. You just gotta add a custom damage type next version.... I mean, with a name like hellfire, "rode my rocket into oblivion" isn't the death message I want to see.

RegularX

Master of Dagoth Lies
Feb 2, 2000
Chicago, IL
Yeah, they're pretty sweet. But I think I noticed a bug with them. Sometimes when firing I think I got a "You Killed X" style message, when in fact I didn't.

EvilDrWong

Jun 16, 2001
Inside the machine
Visit site
Hmm... i have absolutely no idea why you'd get messages like that... theyre just regular projectiles fired in a regular fashion... Any chance one of your fireballs flew off somwheres strange and managed to finish someone off?

Yeah yeah, i know about the death message stuff. I added them right after i posted the new version. Problem is that DamageTypes define how vehicles will react with the imparted momentum, and i didnt want to screw things up right before posting a new version. All of the command abilities have their own messages, but vehicle momentum-scaling is WAY off. Hellfire can launch a scorpion about halfway across Torlan :eek:

To be honest, a few of those 'promised' features were just added after the update. I wanted to get something new out before i started screwing it all up ;)