Americans! Ever wanted to know how to speak British? Nows your chance!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Everyone should learn to speak like John Cleese.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Someone should send her an e-mail to ask her how to pronounce bollocks.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Eh, I don't see the fuss. She exaggerates the words, yes, which doesn't work for actual conversation, but for the point of getting across the basic differences in pronunciation it works great. They seem like helpful videos for actors to get started with (even if it isn't a perfect be-all, end-all solution).

~Jason

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Eh, I don't see the fuss. She exaggerates the words, yes, which doesn't work for actual conversation, but for the point of getting across the basic differences in pronunciation it works great. They seem like helpful videos for actors to get started with (even if it isn't a perfect be-all, end-all solution).

All of which might be helpful if there were such a thing as a single British accent or dialect. That isn't even remotely the case.

Anyone who tried (even toned down) to speak in the manner that this woman does would be laughed at from Land's End to John o' Groats because she has no consistency of accent - it is a discordant mix of accents and dialects that do not belong together. There is something for everyone to laugh at.

Her inaccuracy is so frequent (not least because she has clearly failed to understand that there is more than one accent to be found under the heading of "British accent") that she has failed in the task of,

...getting across the basic differences in pronunciation...
Going slightly off-topic, I always thought James Marsters and Alexis Denisof did pretty good examples of British accents on Buffy the Vampire Slayer (especially early on). Equally, I've heard some bloody awful American accents from British actors.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Talking of accents, isn't there some place in the States where people actually sound like they're from the UK ?

M.A.D.X.W

Aug 24, 2008
New England?
NewEngland.gif