Americans! Ever wanted to know how to speak British? Nows your chance!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
New England?
NewEngland.gif
No, you baested! They don't speak British ova heh.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
yeah, some of those east coasters have some pretty thick accents.
Well, one person's thick accent is another's perfectly clear accent. :D

I've travelled in every one of those states and never met anyone whose accent made me think that they were even remotely British (except for the inevitable ex-pats:))

In my own case (just to underscore how far out the videos were and how wide a variety of accents live under the banner "British"), when travelling around the US, I've been more often mistaken for being an English-speaking German than British. Probably because a West coast of Scotland accent is quite guttural in comparison to that strange mid-Atlantic thing that passes for a British accent on so much US TV.

My wife has an East coast accent but she has been here a long time and it has softened. Much to her annoyance, she is frequently mistaken here for Canadian (not that there is anything wrong with being Canadian - it's just that she isn't)

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
To great dismay of my parents, I picked up the the Black Country accent while I was at public school. I couldn't name any of the other accents though.

which part of the UK?

The Beebs ?

Last edited:

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
I think this should read...
"To great dismay, I picked up syphillis with a black girl while I was being gay. I couldn't f*ck any other arses though..."

Bersy

Apr 7, 2008
Sweden
Nevermind the accents, it's the language itself that's the real hoot.

like can I bum a fag, doesn't mean at all what it would in the US.

M.A.D.X.W

Aug 24, 2008
^Is e Éire an tír is far sa domhan. Ith é sin, Sasana.
Níll a fhios agam cean fá nach bhfuill gach duine ag caint as Gaeilge..
Ach tá fios agam gur bhfiull alán botún I mo cainteach anseo, ní bíonn aon duine ríomh ag labhairt as gaeilge :(

Interbellum

I used to be a man
May 17, 2008
^Is e Éire an tír is far sa domhan. Ith é sin, Sasana.
Níll a fhios agam cean fá nach bhfuill gach duine ag caint as Gaeilge..
Ach tá fios agam gur bhfiull alán botún I mo cainteach anseo, ní bíonn aon duine ríomh ag labhairt as gaeilge :(

Eu não tenho nenhuma idéia o que você está dizendo. :)