Amer. FragBU: Friday 4/29 and Saturday 4/30

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
Here's my reasoning for saying no....

EVERY FRICKIN' WEEK people post in the FragBU thread complaining about this and that and wanting to what this and that. Then we get big long debates and the threads get to be half a dozen pages long. Then we have poles on who wants to change what. Then Raffi changes it. Then the following week someone complains about the chages. Then we have another 5-6 pages of arguing. More polls. Then we change it again. And again the next week, and the next, and so on. Poor Raffi doesn't even know what everyone wants anymore (see a post a few pages back).

I'm just tired of all the complaining every week and everyone wanting to "fix" something every week, especially if it's not really broken. So what if one or two people thing another way would work a little better. I say we just keep it the way it is and every be happy.

You're not going to please everyone. If you change it, then someone's going to complain anyhow. Just leave it and enjoy it for what it is....a very nice server that's provided AND administered for free.

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
I don't really recall hearing a lot of people going "HEY WOW! TDM match times are perfect right now!" whereas I hear several people scratching their heads that they end so quickly. I don't see the harm in raising the point cap if you keep the time cap low, like 10-15 minutes. Nobody is going to "screw with" Ketnar. No one is going to install Comp or 0Ping. No one is going to raise the playerlimit or add Onslaught or make all matches Instagib.

I don't know much, but I do know that CTF matches generally last 20-30 minutes, and TDM matches last 4-5 minutes. Some of these other fellows may wander over to Ketnar for CTF, but what purpose does it serve if someone like me says "HEY TDM CORRUGATION!" and logs on and the match is over before the map loads? Wheeeeeee.

Unless TDM is designed to last 5 minutes, then fine, leave it how it is for all I care. But I don't think the mass-polling that PRE-DATES the server split is any reason to violently oppose any minimal tweaks of any sort.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
Do whatever you want.

Edit - just remind Raffi that the limit's been changed, and that he'll have to change it back for the Tourney matches.

Last edited:

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
It's not about what I want, I just don't see what the big stink is.

Besides, I'm actually surprised to hear that 60 is the cap in 8-10 player tourney matches. Do we play best of 3?

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
W0RF said:
I just don't see what the big stink is.
Exactly my point.

W0RF said:
Besides, I'm actually surprised to hear that 60 is the cap in 8-10 player tourney matches. Do we play best of 3?

FAQ

Why don't we just change the tournament rules that we all agreed upon so that it conecides with the new limits on Ketnar so that we can satisfy the few? Hell, let's have a poll about it!

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Jeez, what have I started... :shake:

Some people really enjoy TDM, just like others like CTF. Yes, we don't play TDM much on Ketnar, but it makes sense to me to at least make the games in it decent. It doesn't take someone like Scummy much time to rack up 30 frags in TDM, and even if the rest of his team is still in single digits, the match is over. Maybe I was being a little too idealistic in hoping that others would see it was obvious that 60 frags is too low. I'm not gonna lose sleep over it if it isn't changed; it's just something I would prefer to be changed if possible. I don't want anything else on Ketnar (except maybe TAM ;)). I just want all the games to be decent or better and TDM games are the most lacking.

BTW, I don't recall being a part of deciding on a 60-frag limit for the tourney. I would have said 100. ;)

haarg

PC blowticious
Apr 24, 2002
Over there
I think I've voiced my opinion enough that I prefer CTF, but the thing that drove me away from Viper's this weekend was the score limit for ONS. I don't mind playing it some, but with the score limit of 3 one game lasted for a full hour.

Raffi_B

Administrator
Oct 27, 2002
USA
BTW, from now on, please keep all aliasing to a minimum. Here's why:

1. It makes it 10 times more difficult to balance the teams
2. It encourages more aliasing from other players and a general "all goofing off and no playing" attitude.
3. A lot of people change their playing style based on who they're fighting. For example, if I see Haarg coming towards me, I keep my distance because he is deadly with flak. In general, aliasing just makes the game feel a lot more like a pub and a lot less like fragging with a bunch of friends.

If you can alter your name a bit but people can still recognize you, then it's fine. Just no [omg]HAXlolol or I_EAT_POOP or any of that crap that's been going on recently.

HuggyBear

manta claus
Feb 23, 2004
Aw, but I officially changed my name to I_EAT_POOP. :( It's not aliasing if that's what you always use, is it? I rarely, if ever, play as HuggyBear anymore because of stalkers :(
I guess that on a passworded server I should be okay.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
Turns2Ashes said:
Jeez, what have I started... :shake:

Some people really enjoy TDM, just like others like CTF. Yes, we don't play TDM much on Ketnar, but it makes sense to me to at least make the games in it decent. It doesn't take someone like Scummy much time to rack up 30 frags in TDM, and even if the rest of his team is still in single digits, the match is over. Maybe I was being a little too idealistic in hoping that others would see it was obvious that 60 frags is too low. I'm not gonna lose sleep over it if it isn't changed; it's just something I would prefer to be changed if possible. I don't want anything else on Ketnar (except maybe TAM ;)). I just want all the games to be decent or better and TDM games are the most lacking.

BTW, I don't recall being a part of deciding on a 60-frag limit for the tourney. I would have said 100. ;)

Like I've said, whatever you guys want to do. I just tired of caring and don't want to any longer. If you guys want to change around the servers and whatever, then fine. If you want to make changes every week, okay by me. If you want to change the Tourney to a suicide contest, just let me know.

I'm past the point of giving a rip anymore. Whatever you can get Raffi to do to the servers, have at it.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Well, a piece of advice for making changes like this, in which we are worried about the "back and forth" problem is making the changes of this nature small. Maybe some of the current change are a little steep, and I could see that being a concern. Do what Epic does. Make the changes small and subtle, so we don't have to hit each extreme before finding an acceptable compimise.

Like 10 frags more (if it is something a majority wants to see changed)... and we prolly dont' need to change the time limit since we NEVER HIT IT ANYWAYS.

Oh, and I'm all about minimized aliasing. I don't force for the same reasons of target identification, because that is how my whole game is based. I play the player, not the game.

ONS = Too Long: Agreed. That Urban game the other night was barely even the same teams all three rounds.

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
Turns2Ashes said:
Maybe I was being a little too idealistic in hoping that others would see it was obvious that 60 frags is too low. I'm not gonna lose sleep over it if it isn't changed; it's just something I would prefer to be changed if possible.
:stupid:

I also recommend some valium for Ren. I think he's taking this whole thing kinda hard. :(

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
The ironic thing here is that ONS had score limits bumped due to no one trying much when a team was ahead. There were ONS games over in 2 minutes flat before.

Me, personally, I think ONS is an intrisnically long game, so I don't care how long I spend playing it.

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
60 is the limit for the tdm tourney. Leaving Ketnar as is now would make it easier to find an open/pw'd server to play on. Leave it as is at least until the tdm is over with.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
W0RF said:
:stupid:

I also recommend some valium for Ren.(

Whatever dude. I find it kinda ironic that someone who rarely plays on a server is so opinionated about it. Maybe we should leave the opinions to those that it will actually effect.

But again, do whatever you want. I don't care anymore.

DaBeatard

Mr.How
Nov 20, 2002
Visit site
Well, as long as we're all giving suggestions- Please keep Ketnar vanilla, and that includes not putting TAM on it. Do whatever you want with the cap/score limit.

On a side note, I want to thank Raffi and the admins for putting up with all of the crap that comes out of these threads. I may not agree with some decisions that are made regarding FBU, but I do appreciate that we are listened to by those that can make the changes.

Raffi_B

Administrator
Oct 27, 2002
USA
I'm making my own judgement call on this one.

UT2003 FragBU was a very, very special event. I want the old guys like Ren, Dabeat, and hal to have a haven where they can enjoy the game just like they used to back in the day.

Sorry guys. No polls on this one.

W0RF

BuF Greeter, News Bagger
Apr 19, 2002
Columbus, OH
Visit site
Renegade Retard said:
Whatever dude. I find it kinda ironic that someone who rarely plays on a server is so opinionated about it. Maybe we should leave the opinions to those that it will actually effect.
Dude, seriously. Why are you getting so personal about this? I just didn't see the harm in discussing a point that somebody else brought up. It was such a massively important point that I just HAD to have, that I dropped like a day ago. I've devoted more energy to trying to talk you down from the "servers are doomed forever" ledge than worrying about TDM scores.

But I guess I'll just shut up, since being at the sessions almost every weekend and volunteering to play in the tournament isn't enough to "count".
Scumgrief said:
16-player TAM on Serpentine, suicide matches on Gael
These don't exactly appeal to most of us either, Scummy. They tend to get in on 4 votes b/c ppl can't agree on a map and a couple last-minute votes go there because "it's better than Junk". So you may want to talk to the people who are voting 16-man-TAM as the lesser of two evils.

Last edited: