AFA2 password protected

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

vedder

See This Needle? See my arm...
Jun 10, 2001
www.myextralife.com
Visit site
Im posting this because after going on to AFA2 and seeing some lamers saying RA sucks and whatnot... and with past experiences of lameness ive witnessed, i believe a simple solution can be obtained. Password protect the server. Anyone interested in playin there would have to ask for a password from the Admins. Anyone is allowed to play if they dont complain, tk, spam, or generally cause trouble on the server. This means newbies and vets alike can all play for the sake of realism. :) Questions and what this will do:

VIEWPOINT: You are an elitest bastard who only wants certain people to play inf?
REPLY: Simply not true. I just want to cut out the troublemakers who plague AFA2. Besides im not an admin( do i look like stormcaller to you?) so im not even choosing who gets passwords. Hell, if the gang hates me they could vote me outta one. :(
VIEWPOINT: Won't this cut down on people playin on the server?
REPLY: No, as you are well aware AFA2 is the only INF server consistently packed nowadays. What this will do is cut out the troublemakers and leave room for the productive players.
VIEWPOINT: Your hitler and your trying to ethnically cleanse INF
REPLY: some moron is bound to post this.. if if they cant see the faulty logic behind that statement, they are simply not worth replying to with a logical response.
QUESTION: What if someone steals a password?
REPLY: I suggest passwords be changed once a week or so.
VIEWPOINT: This will discourage newbies from INF, RA, AFA, etc.
REPLY: no it wont it will discourage NOOBS, newbies or people worth having in the community are intelligent enough to visit the forums... or the forthcoming afa site for information on how to get a password.

Well, this is my idea. I dont want anyone to think im trying to run AFA or anything. They are doing a great job themselves. Im just suggesting this, if you dont like it great ADMINs then just shoot it down... but i think its a good idea. I welcome lots of opinions.... But remeber your opinions are only valid if you actually play on the server :p

erehwoN

The Bass Ackwards BTL
May 30, 2001
Wyoming, USA
Visit site
I think that we (teh /\d/\/\|/\/5) do a decent enough job of holding the new guys in line that it doesn't need to be password protected. I have thought of adding an AFA3 through my connection that would only be password protected, but that doesn't look like it will pan out. :( Anyways, it is a valid suggestion, but I think we have things under control.

(jesus, you know I'm drunk when I use 'haxxor speak' in multiple posts :p )

FiringAimlessly

NOT going to waste another minute on CS!
Sep 18, 2001
Damn... that blows. :hmm:

So... uh... could someone kindly PM me the password?

vedder

See This Needle? See my arm...
Jun 10, 2001
www.myextralife.com
Visit site
Originally posted by erehwo|\|

(jesus, you know I'm drunk when I use 'haxxor speak' in multiple posts :p )

:lol:

EDIT: you do do a GOOD JOB btw, its very rare that there is no admin playing on the server or a clanmember. I just hate pains in the ass.... when i play INF i wanna play INF and some asswipe talkin about how RA blows and whatnot, really steams my clams. (Where did i pull that phrase from) , but youre right Password protection is not a nesscity :) And AFA3... :eek: One can only hope :)

{GD}Ghost

Counter Terrorist Operative
Mar 25, 2001
Classified
home.attbi.com
I must agree with this.

Recently AFA2 has been being over run by people who spend more time bitching, moaning and crying because the game doesn't run like whatever game they are used to playing than playing the game. They don't ask questions or listen to explainations. It just a spam fest of INF sux...this. RA sux...that. This isn't realistic. Why can't I sprint for 10 straight and not get tired? RA is crap because I can't carry multiple primaries and 150 nades. The people that I have the problem with won't even excercise their brain enough to try to adapt before shooting off at the mouth. People complain that AFA regulars are not nice to noobs. Hell the f*ck no we aren't nice to those that come in and disrupt things, spam trash talk and ,over all, display their ignorance in the most unintelligent ways imaginable. I persnoally welcome all newbies who ask questions and actually listen to the answers. I don't expect everyone to agree with it or like it, but is it too much to ask not to have to put up with people causing trouble and disrupting a game because they don't like RA or INF itself? I don't think so.

MadWoffen

Soon! ©
May 27, 2001
Belgium
www.bifff.net
I haven't been playing recently but was fearing that. Last time I played we had one or 2 CS kids...

If you're going into password, how will you "choose" the people ? You'll wait for a request or you will PM the "traditionals" players. Please advise in time.

Ghost: when will your server be ready ? IIRC you (or Asmo?) told me online it will be only 2 or 3 nods from Europe making it interesting for Euro players.

Midwinter

sneaky bastard
Oct 15, 2000
Valencia, Spain
Visit site
Yes, i have noted that lately has been an increase in the number of "lamers" (no offence, LAMER_7267 ;)). But either they were kicked after 2 or 3 TKs or they left after two or three rounds... yesterday , someone began throwing nades at spawn. Needless to say he was promptly given the boot, and he didn't return for more :). So I don't think that is a big problem right now.

SphynxSK

WILL CODE FOR FOOD
Oct 21, 2001
www.combatmaps.com
Well I can't play every day, there's a lot on my plate. But I know I speak for more than one SK when I say that it would be sad to eliminate AFA2 as a play option for us. With MUF2000 running that CTF game, AFA2 has been like a second home.

If a pwd is implemented then how would you plan on distributing it to serious players while keeping the 'riff-raff' out?

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
a password-protected server *will* scare off newbies ...
not because they are 'afraid' to ask ... but because ppl want to play the damned game.
Sure it might work for a limited time because there's enough people playing ...

Do people read websites for servers ? You're pretty optimistic if you think that people who don't even take the time to read manuals properly will bother.

example :
step 1: I download the mod from some site or I get it from a coverdisc

step 2: I play off-line a bit to get used to the controls (I'm a 'smart' newbie ;)) and find I like it

step 3: I try to find me a server ...

step 4: I see a list of servers, some password protected some 'open' ...

step 5: I join an open server, why ? because password-protected are usually reserved for 'clanwars' or they are private ...

step 6: I see nothing but the *bleeps* that can't play on the 'closed' servers because they were banned ...

step 7: I uninstall the mod or decide to play offline only
endresult : another potentially decent player is lost ...

Another problem with passwords & UT :
they're in plain text in the ini-file ...
all you need is one player that 'accidently' spreads the password of the week to the 'troublemakers' ...

example :
I got the password, but I find the server is empty
What is going to stop me from telling a few 'friends' to join ?
How are you going to check that I got the password from the site ?

You want to make sure the *bleeps* aren't on the server ?
- change password for *every* game
- plan those games
- announce the games in the forums and/or IRC
- let everyone who wants to play gather in an IRC-channel and give the password
- make sure there's an admin available so the idiots get kicked asap ...

Tiffy

Back to champion the L85
Sep 15, 2001
Visit site
This is probably my first time posting in my capacity of an AFA member, and not as an ex-armourer.

I'd have to say that password protecting AFA2 is a bad idea. It does nothing to encourage people to play, particulalrly people new to INF. As AFA's aims are to educate you poor people who've never done this for real, password protecting the server is very counter productive. We can't show people how it should be done, and how its done IRL if they can't get on the server.

Sure people get on who are a pain in the arse, but thats the price of running a Clan like AFA with our aims etc. If it gets out of hand these people can soon be booted from the server, and as our membership covers a good part of the globe, we usually have someone on at any time.

(BTW Yurch you we;re going to sort out Admin priveliges and a quick lesson etc for me. we must try and get on line at the same time :rolleyes: )

I'm sorry some of you feel that AFA2 needs this protection, but remember there are time when AFA mambers would like to play but can't because the srvers full. We don't scream that we should boot people so we can play. We have even had training sessions disrupted by the server being full and us not wanting to boot people so we can train.

If people are to play INF as we'd like and encourage on AFA2 they must be allowed on. If they don't like it they can always leave, and if they're to gobby about what they don't like they can leave on the end of a boot, but they MUST be able to try AFA's style of play and RAv2 out.

bastardb

Dec 11, 2001
canada
Visit site
i think if you dont do the password thing.. which could be implemented quite fairly and decently in my opinion

you should atleast get more admins...
i know you guys are already there more then any other server i seen... but somehow.. whenever you arent there.. idiots find there way in...

it wouldnt be to hard all'd youd have to is put
afa2 (apply for password email@whatever)

as the server name

and you could basicly just give passwords to anyone who wants one... its just as soon as one of the jerks gets in then we find out who it is.. and change passwords giving it out to the rest

although i think storm said theyd never do this...

in that case i do suggest a few more admins of some type
and thers enough of us that play there that if a newly appointed admin did something unjust all they would have to do is come to the forum and explain what happened then the witnesses would confirm or deny wether it was the proper thing to do

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
You are sooo trusting ...
what would prevent a *bleep* from subscribing to that 'exclusive' list ... just to post it on the CS-forums ???

It won't stay a "secret" for long => making it useless
more admins is more effective in the end ... and it would allow AFA-server to function as a place to "learn how it's done ..." for non-forum regulars and other 'newbies' ...

bastardb

Dec 11, 2001
canada
Visit site
well thats the thing.. youd have to subscribe... and give a username that you use

we all know the regulars are
if there starts to be massive tkers joining again and again then theyd just get rid of them all except the regulars then accept new memberships a few at a time until they confirm there there to play decently

JaFO

Nov 5, 2000
better close that server now ... if you're that afraid of the public ...