7,62x51mm assault-rifle is missing?!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Col.Sanders

Oct 12, 2000
1) I must take issue with the Saiga .308 being more accurate or more reliable than the M14. I'd like to see some hard data there, because there are semi-auto-only versions of the M14 which are used as police swat rifles, being as accurate as bolt-action weapons.

2) Col. Coopers "Scout Rifle" concept uses "Scout" to mean the old fashioned idea of a frontier ranger, someone who will be all alone and needs one weapon which can do everything and be utterly reliable and accurate. He intended it as a hunting weapon, capable of harvesting any game which doesn't bite back.

Whatever Steyr designed it for, I'm not sure, but I find it to be a misfit: in military service, there are precision weapons and firepower weapons, running from sniper rifles to machine guns. The scout is neither, and is more expensive than most other options without being good at anything.

I'd rather see a FN-FAL or standard 7.62 sniper rifle than the scout. But it won't matter, because the existing 7.62 rifle doesn't drop people well. Maybe after the damage model is finalized, it will be sorted out.

Col.Sanders

Oct 12, 2000
Not mad, just confused.
Here in the US, I can buy:

semi-auto 7.62:
FN-FAL for $600
AR-10 for $1500
M-14 for $1500
SR-25 for $2500.

Bolt:
Remington Model 7 .308 for $400
Remington 700 Police Sniper .308 for $850
Texas Brigade Armory M40 clone for $2500+
For $1500 and up, lots of people will build custom 7.62mm sniper rifles, with full barrels and big scopes.

The steyr scout is $3500.

I don't understand how it's that much better than anything else out there. If it was $650, it might be a curiousity. But for $3500, I don't see what it's good for. Col. Cooper specifically addresses that, saying it's better to have one good rifle than a closet full of poor ones, but I'd like to see that logic float with a Police Armorer or procurement officer-- someone other than the SpecOps who can afford anything.

And even on an unlimited budget, I don't see how it's so good.

asmodeus

DB addict
Mar 25, 2001
www.williamscanady.com
the G36 is more recent and kicks a lot of ass... it's modular.. so you can choose the length of the barrels, the sights and all... and the number one reason to put it in INF... it's an H&K!

surely the team can't resist THAT:)

asmodeus

DB addict
Mar 25, 2001
www.williamscanady.com
well because someone said something about the G11 or G3...

can we agree the thread has lost his focus?:)

PS: Go take a look on the HK site...
"G36E 5.56mm Rifle with 18.9" barrel
and 1.5X "Export" optical sight."

that's an handsome gun