7,62x51mm assault-rifle is missing?!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Rowley

Apr 10, 2001
Amsterdam
Visit site
I find it a bit unlogical that ( otherways pretty complete list of weapons planned for INF ) a 7,62nato rifle is missing. Battle-rifles in this caliber have been standard issue in all non-communist countries for a lomg time and are still used in certain units. I think one should deffinitely be added to INF armory, something like FN FAL, M14 or HK G3. Personally i think that FN FAL would be the best choice as this rifle was used in almost all non-communist countries (except US of course) with over 1,2 million produced between 1956 and 1965. I dont know how many were produced later.

Liquid Night

Argumentative type.
May 18, 2000
Dublin
The team aren't taking suggestions at the moment (they have enough weapons to be doing) but I agree with you.
We need more esoteric weapons and it would be great if we got them in the future. Stuff like FN's, AK variants, japanese and chinese rifles and even hunting rifles.
This is the kind of hodge-podge of weapons you will see if fighting any poorly funded armed force. Plus, a lot of these weapons are far more effective than they are given credit for.
For instance the Irish ARW (Army Ranger Wing - seriously tough guys) use a 7.62 FN rifle (think it's the FAL, not sure) as their main weapon in jungle operations to this day because the 7.62 NATO is less likely to be deflected by dense foliage.
(Plus, as we all know FN weapons are seriously reliable in the most adverse conditions - remember SHakken's MRBF figures for their MG's)

EDIT, R-force, I believe those G3 mags are for the PSG.

LCJr.

Apr 14, 2001
Visit site
L1A1

Might be the Irish are using the L1A1. It's a licensed copy of the FN-FAL without automatic fire and was the standard British rifle for ages.
Seems the British are (have?) phasing them out for the 5.56mm Enfield IW. Been hearing bad things about the IW, seems the British standard issue bug repellant will dissolve the plastic on it.

Maybe some of those L1A1's will find their way stateside at a nice price :)

Rowley

Apr 10, 2001
Amsterdam
Visit site
i am aware of the fact that inf team does not take weapon suggestions but this is not a question of seeing my favorite gun in inf. I think that a lack of 7,62nato rifle is pretty strange oversight!

LCJr.

Apr 14, 2001
Visit site
G3 + M16

Kuroshio: The PSG-1 is a G3. Its a tweaked match grade G3 but a G3 none the less. Much in the same way the US Army M21 sniper rifle is a fine tuned M14.

Garbriel: The AR15/M16 has always been 5.56mm. The 5.56mm is also a standard NATO cartridge.

Armalite still sells a 7.62mm rifle that was a forerunner(?) of the M16 and looks a lot like it called the AR10. Its also supposed to be very unpleasant to shoot. I think the Dutch military tried for a very short time.

LCJr.

Apr 14, 2001
Visit site
I'm no PSG-1 expert

Anyway found one site that says the PSG-1 uses the same action as the HK91(civilian name for G3) and a low noise bolt. The MSG-90 is the "bargain" model of the PSG-1 e.g. doesn't have all the fancy bells and whistles but still a solid gun.

Not sure what the purpose of the low-noise bolt is unless the gun can use sub-sonic ammunition and a suppressor???

Anyway check this page out.

http://cu.comp-unltd.com/~mele/rifles.htm

Rowley

Apr 10, 2001
Amsterdam
Visit site
AR-10 was indeed tested and rejected by Dutch military.
It was also produced by Nederlandse Artillerie Inrichtingen. All produced rifles were sold to Portugal,Soedan and Burma.
HK MSG90 is indeed a cheaper, battlefield version of PSG-1. But its not the point wether the PSG-1 is based on G3 (it is) or not, the point is that we miss a 7,62nato ASSAULT-Rifle.

jaunty

Apr 30, 2000
Do you mean "silent bolt closure?" because that would refer to the forward assist. AFAIK, the PSG1 is the only HK rifle with a Forward Assist.

The PSG1 shares the roller-locking bolt with the G3, the G3 foregrip.. and thats about it. But yes, like most HK rifles (everything before the G36) it is a derivative of the G3, which was the first roller-locking wepaon.

Rowley

Apr 10, 2001
Amsterdam
Visit site
Anyway, why is everyone talking about the G3? It would be the least original choice as over half the weapons included in INF are already HK's.
Something like FN FAL, Beretta BM 59 (reloading animation would be great, inserting the clip from the top) or CETME Model 58 would be much more interesting.

Col.Sanders

Oct 12, 2000
I think the low-noise bolt closure is not for suppression. Maybe the sniper is going to carry his rifle into position without a round in the chamber? I know the forward assist is so the shooter can assure himself the bolt is fully seated. A forward assist is common on weapons with "non-reciprocating" bolt handles (ones that aren't attached to the bolt directly and don't move when the action works).

The Armalite AR-10 is actually two rifles:
the original AR-10 developed back in the 50's and 60's by Eugene Stoner;
and the new AR-10B sold by the Eagle Arms company which bought the "Armalite" name.

The new AR-10 is really neat, and half the cost of the Stoner SR-25, a similar weapon, but the jury is still out on batteworthiness.

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
How about the Saiga .308
I'd love to see a upen sights 7.62NATO rifle other then the corny m14.

sig3081.jpg

Or with scope if you must have it
sig308.jpg

LCJr.

Apr 14, 2001
Visit site
FN-FAL would be my choice

My apolgies Rowley got off on a tangent.

Anyway my vote would go for the FN-FAL. Its a weapon you could find about anywhere in the world. I have an old book from 1984 that states the FN-FAL "...has been sold to more than 70 countries, of which 8 have manufacturing licenses as well."

Its starting to game poplularity here in the states finally with several companies manufacturiing copies or designs based on it.