UT 1 on 1 Map...10 yrs in the making

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

rmcollins3

AKA "Doublez-Down"
Well not really, just haven't mapped in about that long. Anyway...would like some feedback.

Shot0008.jpg

DM 1-on-1 Amun Ra

Thanks ahead of time.

Oh yeah, here's a retextured version (in the style of Codex/Gothic) called Athos Monastery.

Athos Monastery

Last edited:

Creavion

Aug 27, 2005
Germany, Niedersachsen
Difficult, because filesh1t ... I mean fileplanet has a problem with the file... (error). Could you not use filefront instead?

@Pic: The arch there in the background. I would have given him a trim (at least with a base texture). Nothing more to say (looks solid), ut1 typicial map.

rmcollins3

AKA "Doublez-Down"
Difficult, because filesh1t ... I mean fileplanet has a problem with the file... (error). Could you not use filefront instead?

@Pic: The arch there in the background. I would have given him a trim (at least with a base texture). Nothing more to say (looks solid), ut1 typicial map.

Thx. Is anyone else having d/l issues? Says there are 23 downloads, so I guess it's working ok now?

Arch has the blue base texture already...maybe just hard to see in the pic. ;) Some of the lower ramps could use some trim though imo.

Last edited:

War_Master

May 27, 2005
the map looked totally different than what it does in the screenshot. The lightning was blinding bright and killed fps in the center area a lot. After turning off DynamicLight I got more fps and the performance increased and felt a lot smoother, and it looked better that way. Also, when I opened it on ued I noticed that every torch had a light actor with 0 Brightness and 200 radius, what use would they have if they're not doing anything?...

These type of maps don't need DynamicLight at all specially this one. What you should keep in mind is that DM maps should run as smooth as possible for players since they don't worry about looks but gameflow.

Another thing, using spaces in file names is not a good idea as there's numerous problems that have been discussed about it before.

rmcollins3

AKA "Doublez-Down"
the map looked totally different than what it does in the screenshot. The lightning was blinding bright and killed fps in the center area a lot. After turning off DynamicLight I got more fps and the performance increased and felt a lot smoother, and it looked better that way. Also, when I opened it on ued I noticed that every torch had a light actor with 0 Brightness and 200 radius, what use would they have if they're not doing anything?...

These type of maps don't need DynamicLight at all specially this one. What you should keep in mind is that DM maps should run as smooth as possible for players since they don't worry about looks but gameflow.

Another thing, using spaces in file names is not a good idea as there's numerous problems that have been discussed about it before.

Hmm, k thanks. Not sure why you are getting so much FPS killage, as it runs silky smooth on my machine, which isn't a big rig or anything. I have a 9500GT Nvidia card fwiw. Is anyone else having FPS issues?? I would think machines nowadays wouldn't have any problem at all running a 1 on 1 UT99 map.

The lights you're referring to are likely the coronas on each light. And I'm not sure what you mean by not needing DynamicLight, since unless I'm mistaken, BSP based construction uses dynamiclight nearly exclusively (someone correct me if I'm wrong on this)...as opposed to static meshes which use static lighting (again correct me if I'm wrong here).

Curious to hear if others are having FPS issues though...and if others think it's way too bright. Fwiw, I just ran it on my computer and was hitting 160 fps and polys were a tad over 300 at the highest (looking out over the main map section underneath the horus eye).

Last edited:

WedgeBob

XSI Mod Tool User
Nov 12, 2008
Cleveland, OH, USA
Heh...I've had maps for games older than UT Classic that need major restoration and modernizing, but some of those Doom II maps and Duke 3D maps of mine can probably make good UT3 maps, nonetheless. Good job on your restoration.

rmcollins3

AKA "Doublez-Down"
Heh...I've had maps for games older than UT Classic that need major restoration and modernizing, but some of those Doom II maps and Duke 3D maps of mine can probably make good UT3 maps, nonetheless. Good job on your restoration.

lol thanks, but i just made this UT99 map from scratch using ued2 so it's not really a restoration - i just hadn't built anything in a long time.

Did you try playing it? Just checking to see if others are having FPS issues like WM.

War_Master

May 27, 2005
I have a PC that fits the requirements of this game and its probably the only machine that its best for testing stuff for UT99 since it is as old as the game... no joke. Also, UT99 is mostly being played by people from other countries where they have PCs older than mine, believe it or not, and I have heard that some maps running DynamicLight in maps really kill performance. Of course, you should take in consideration that people cannot afford or will not buy a faster PC to play an old game like this one just to play a map that is not providing the requirements and correct editing like the retail maps. If you want the people -players that do play and run servers for UT99 now days- you will want to optimize your map properly.

Since I started playing this game, I only saw that DynamicLight only affected effects, triggeredlights, torch decoration that are not in view on high poly areas, but not on bsp brushes. Your map does have DynamicLight in most of the bsp throughout the map which is what's making it too bright as I mentioned above. If you don't believe me, do a test by turning ON and OFF the DynamicLight option in UT and you'll see what I mean.

Btw, when I turned OFF the DynamicLight option your map looked a lot less brighter and more like it does in your screenshot. The only problem is that the lightning looked uneven and separated by polies with some areas being totally dark.

Last edited:

rmcollins3

AKA "Doublez-Down"
Ok thanks again for having a look. I did make the map with older machines in mind, which is why I'm surprised you're having issues. Back when I had an older PC, when the game was popular, I didn't have a problem playing maps that were way more detailed high poly than this one.

I tried turning off dynamic light in the UT menu and honestly saw no difference. Please don't think I'm arguing, as I value opinions. But if you don't mind, tell me which lights you believe are classified as dynamic. The only I can think of is maybe the coronas on the torches.

I'd also like to know how it runs on other's computers so I don't go changing a bunch of stuff unnecessarily.

EDIT - K, just went and tried again. I turned texture detail to medium and dynamic lighting off, along with decals, and still noticed no difference. The coronas also stay on, which tells me they aren't dynamic light. The only light I could think that might slow down a machine is the one (1) with the torchwaver effect on the pedestal on the lower level, but one light with that effect shouldn't have such an impact. If you care to, list your pc and video card specs and how you have your video options in the game. If you have an older Voodoo card I would think it would run even better than mine. Again, not arguing, just trying to figure out the issue is all and if others are having it as well.

Last edited: