BREXIT Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

tomcat ha

Feb 2, 2002
Visit site
Scotland isn't going to leave the UK. Even if they vote to leave it will never happen. They will want to join the EU and the EU now can't afford them and Scotland can't afford to be a member. It will be hilarious to watch Sturgeon try, though. I don't see this doing much other than opening UK up for a free trade deal with the US which would be beneficial for both countries once Brexit actually happens.

Outside of that, I'm glad the post-apocalyptic wasteland scenario is hitting Europe first so I know it's on its way here!

The EU doesnt just gobble up money for no gain you know. Scotland also got plenty of money.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Scotland isn't going to leave the UK. Even if they vote to leave it will never happen.

They'll leave. The sole reason many people in Scotland voted to remain part of the UK was that they'd be out in the cold outside the EU if they left. They've now been dragged out anyway, and the sentiment in Scotland has turned sour.

If (or rather when) there's a second Scotland referendum, they will vote out. If it's a strong enough result, the UK government won't have a choice about it either. You think the UK government could refuse? It'd be Ulster all over again on an exponentially bigger scale if they did.

Syri

Who are you calling short?
Aug 18, 2000
Nottingham, England
The whole Brexit thing has been badly managed from the start... on both sides. Firstly, both sides spent too much time sniping at each other, and doomsaying, rather than putting forward actual, well though plans for how to go ahead should their side win. The main problem though is that it was a badly arranged vote anyway, we could either vote to remain, keeping things as they have been for years, therefore not satisfying those who have doubts on how the EU is working, or we can take the extreme action of leaving. What was really needed was a middle ground, something like a promise of reforms, with greater transparency, to address the concerns in the EU, with a condition that if they're not met by a certain point, then it'd lead to pulling out. I'm sure that were that choice offered, it'd have won the vote by a landslide, because there were so many on the fence, and so many not happy with how things were, but the only guaranteed option of change offered was the most extreme.

Reactions: Al

-Jes-

Tastefully Barking
Jan 17, 2005
DM-HyperBlast
Does it really matter?

England wants to punish the victims of crimes, and the EU wants a bunch of perpetually offended pricks to decide who can say what.

It's all shit.

Jeb "Policy man" Bush tried it. His only redeeming policy was that once he lost the spaghetti in his pockets he replaced it with little turtles to give to kids. Slow and steady wins the race! O'Mally tried it on the dem side with plans for rebuilding inner cities and justice reform policy. Where did he go?

2FDB438100000578-3387427-image-a-40_1452120101254.jpg

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
The whole Brexit thing has been badly managed from the start... on both sides. Firstly, both sides spent too much time sniping at each other, and doomsaying, rather than putting forward actual, well though plans for how to go ahead should their side win. The main problem though is that it was a badly arranged vote anyway, we could either vote to remain, keeping things as they have been for years, therefore not satisfying those who have doubts on how the EU is working, or we can take the extreme action of leaving. What was really needed was a middle ground, something like a promise of reforms, with greater transparency, to address the concerns in the EU, with a condition that if they're not met by a certain point, then it'd lead to pulling out. I'm sure that were that choice offered, it'd have won the vote by a landslide, because there were so many on the fence, and so many not happy with how things were, but the only guaranteed option of change offered was the most extreme.

That was never an option because it isn't an actual option. They TRIED to renegotiate, and got almost nothing. The EU is a big beast, and it changes and adapts and is open to input, but it doesn't just give countries what it wants--especially when what it wants are things directly contradictory to the EU. As it is, almost all of the exit promises are lies or wildly unlikely pipe dreams, but whatever. Idiots win.

Reactions: Balton

Hunter

BeyondUnreal Newsie
Aug 20, 2001
...Behind You...
www.unrealfans.com
What's really bad is the Labour leader wants to lead but his colleges don't, but real life members of the party do. Guess we will just get the Queen back in charge of it all, or look for a President?

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
I would strongly object to anything Corbyn does being described as "lead". I voted for him as leader and he's utterly failed in almost everything that's been asked of him.

The UK is in a bigger constitutional crisis since... I genuinely don't fucking know when... even on a historical basis.

We've voted out of the free market area that 50% of our trade relied upon.
We've managed to isolate an already-twitchy Scotland, which is liable to force them out of the Union.
We've made a united Ireland (through necessity) a possibility, which would have been unthinkable five years ago.
We've upset basically every trade partner we have, all of which told us they didn't want us to leave.
We've got scientific research institutions and tech companies scrambling to relocate outside the UK.
We've triggered a mass confidence collapse in the UK as a viable business prospect.
We've got a leadership crisis in every major political party.
We've got no viable, credible, reliable leaders at a time when the UK is suffering it's biggest crisis since WW2.
We've ended up with a bitterly divided country, with an increasingly angry generational conflict brewing.
We've seen the promises of the Leave campaign already proved as outright lies.

We've dug our own fucking graves, and I'm fucking ashamed to be British for the first time in my entire life. It genuinely feels as if my country has been taken away from me, that I don't belong here, and I'm not welcome. Some of the hysterical, xenophobic jingoism I've already starting hearing openly on the streets is fucking appalling. It's like we're back in 1956.

We've opened a Pandora's Box of all of this country's inner demons and we're going to fucking regret it.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
The EU doesnt just gobble up money for no gain you know. Scotland also got plenty of money.
The EU isn't donating more money than they get to the countries that are members and they just lost like 1/4th of their revenue. Imagine the terror if Germany or France leaves now. You think they want someone tiny like Scotland coming in and asking for extra funds because they barely make enough GDP to scrape by by themselves?

At this rate, the EU will be filled with countries like Greece.
They'll leave. The sole reason many people in Scotland voted to remain part of the UK was that they'd be out in the cold outside the EU if they left. They've now been dragged out anyway, and the sentiment in Scotland has turned sour.

If (or rather when) there's a second Scotland referendum, they will vote out. If it's a strong enough result, the UK government won't have a choice about it either. You think the UK government could refuse? It'd be Ulster all over again on an exponentially bigger scale if they did.
I have no doubt that they will vote to leave the UK as soon as Sturgeon can get together a referendum, but they will quickly learn they also have no place inside the EU without Britain. Either way they will end up in the same place.

The EU could have solved this by allowing Britain to have its own immigration policies and sovereignty. Britain already got tons of concessions just to join the EU because it is just as (if not actually much, much more) beneficial to the EU for Britain to be a member as not. I suspect the next thing we will see come from this is for France to start poking at the idea of Frexit. Merkel should be scared.