First Screenshots of Unreal Engine 4

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
they need to make them more fun now instead...

darkso13.jpg

moonflyer

Jun 2, 2003
Shanghai,China
lichong.blogbus.com
I wanna see it running too *_*

Doesn't seem like we need new consoles just for this though, the games have looked awesome for a long time, they need to make them more fun now instead...

UE4 is not just visual candy. One thing I hate about this generation is it takes so much effort and cost just to make the visual, because the graphic tools and the game editors are not efficient enough. So hopefully UE4 will bring some changes to the industry and save money for developers so they can invest more to create fun gameplay.
And visually only several games of this generation are truely awesome, the rest of the world are just abusing normal maps, post process, bulky random details...

Spiney

Jun 12, 2010
And visually only several games of this generation are truely awesome, the rest of the world are just abusing normal maps, post process, bulky random details...

Indeed, I'll take something like Rage or Starcraft 2 over any Crysis game -- visually speaking.
People seem to be getting so worked up about the latest bokeh depth of field filter, ssao or skin shader. But the games that really do it for me are the ones where you can see the artists hands in every pixel, rather than a tiled photograph ran trough crazybump and called it a day.

Not to say those effects are all bad, I just think drooling over rendering tech while the artwork is the same old recycled hollywood pseudo-militairy junk is kind of misguided. And in the end I strongly believe the artwork should be there to serve the gameplay rather than to immerse the player in some film like experience, sadly that school of thought isn't very populair these days.

Niklas Jansson writes a lot about videogame art and design on his webpage, he has a distinct oldskool attitude, I happen to agree with most of his points. Worth reading if you have some time to kill.

http://androidarts.com/spaceships/spaceship_design.htm

r1esG0

Unreal Engine Padawan
Feb 4, 2008
Seville, Spain
I have looked at the news and i have pee on my pants.:eek2:
Unreal Script is removed. Code directly on C++.!!! (teh book i just bought on amazon has been launched to the trash :D ). I think this deserves its own new. OMFG, i am like, OMFGDDDD!!, this is going to change all the way for all the udk makers does its works....Im like...It iz good, nao we dont have to learn one more scripting lanmguaje, and just focus on a well known languaje, and lots of programmers will be able to use what they have learned for yeasrs,, but in the other hand....OMG EPIC BETRAYED US, and also....i cannot stop thinking, :flame:"WHAT IS EL MUERTE GOING TO SAAAAY":flame:... please, someone bring me some tea...

Last edited:

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
The year 2014 was thrown out there, but not with much context. It was a pretty shitty interview on SpikeTV last night.

SPIDEYUT2K7

I see a blue screen
Feb 22, 2008
City of the Polution
Hi everyone! long time without cheking some stuff around here but im glad to be back hehe im so happy for the news of the new unreal engine! This is could be a possibility of a new Unreal Tournament game or an adventure game of it?

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Compiling stuff realtime while ingame? Besides that sure wasn't THAT fast, the compile time especially becasue he just changed a jump value.

But I can imagine funny shit happening if the script was changed much more (but let's hope not). I don't think this is a good idea at all.
And the Kismet looks as shitty as I predicted, when he showed how many lines are crossing in the solar system room, ugh...the HORROR

The actual presentation looks cool but not sure about the editor/technicality of it...

Last edited:

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
What if we could change all those values in-game in the console, no restart required?

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
What if we could change all those values in-game in the console, no restart required?

You can change values/variables runtime in unreal too, but not hardcoded values like he showed (but jumping height wasn't hardcoded before so wtf).

But he was able to recompile script ingame. If it would not just be simple value, I would really like to see if it would transform so smooth and dynamicaly too, I have my doubt. Then again maybe not. But still, I don't see the time improvement over uscript. And C++ only is still a bad choice on itself imo.

Maybe faster execution, but faster compile time? This seems unlikely. Maybe someone twisted someone words again before, about the compile shit.

But don't mind me, I seem to be in minority with this...

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Why does that even surprise you?

Depending on how the engine is built, compiling C++ is lightning fast. Unlike Java/UScript, you don't have to pass it to any kind of byte code translator at compile time, or run time. It can be natively compiled and loaded/run on the fly.

I would love to see this on Linux for once :p

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Why does that even surprise you?

Depending on how the engine is built, compiling C++ is lightning fast. Unlike Java/UScript, you don't have to pass it to any kind of byte code translator at compile time, or run time. It can be natively compiled and loaded/run on the fly.

I would love to see this on Linux for once :p

Well I am gonna quote someone who understands this far more than me, while he welcomes realtime ingame compiling, he says this:

[16:44]<zeurkous> and of course one has to pass it through a `byte code
translator' -- the assembler!
[16:45]<zeurkous> worse, one isn't assembling -- presumably -- relatively
elegant ubyte code
[16:45]<zeurkous> but instead i86 crap code