Euro 2012. The Groups

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Predcaliber

One Day I'l Beat Lauke
Jun 17, 2003
The Netherlands
www.predcaliber.com
The finals schedule has been confirmed with Poland starting the tournament against Greece on 8 June and other opening games including Germany v Portugal, Spain v Italy, France v England and Ukraine v Sweden.

The complete drawn groups:

Group A:
Poland
Greece
Russia
Czech Republic

Group B:
Holland
Denmark
Portugal
Germany

Group C:
Spain
Italy
Rep of Ireland
Croatia

Group D:
Ukraine
Sweden
France
England

What are your toughts about this?

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
Except for group A, all of these are very tough, which is typical of Euros - at least until the field of participants will be extended to 24 countries. In any case, Russia is sure to advance in group A. I expect Poland to go through as well. Group B sees one of the current two strongest teams in the world, Germany, to advance easily should they keep their form. The Netherlands will probably make the second spot, unless Portugal somehow find their way back to what they used to be. In group C, we have the other top team, Spain, and Italy which recently regained strength. It'll be tough, but not impossible, for Croatia to pass. Group D might the most interesting, with a slowly recovering France, an unexciting but effective England, Ukraine as the second home team and Sweden, which is always up for upsets.

DarkEmperor

Buried By The Dead
Mar 22, 2002
Visit site
The "Stanley's Cup" you fool !

P.S. Greece starts the tournament for the 3rd time in a row (2004,2008).

Last edited:

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
No bite_me, it's this one obviously.

Stan-Laurel.jpg

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Pick young players who give a damn and have something to prove.

Glad we dodged B and C. D isn't the best we could get, but it could've been worse.

I'm just hoping that Fabio Capello picks younger players rather than the crop of underachieving screwups we've had to deal with for the last 5-10 years.

Predcaliber

One Day I'l Beat Lauke
Jun 17, 2003
The Netherlands
www.predcaliber.com
Glad we dodged B and C. D isn't the best we could get, but it could've been worse.

I'm just hoping that Fabio Capello picks younger players rather than the crop of underachieving screwups we've had to deal with for the last 5-10 years.

yeah I guess England will be stage winner, France will probably fail again, and Sweden might give us a surprise becoming 2nd in group D.

For us again the famous 'poul of death'. Germany and Portugal. :eek:
Despite the great friendly loss against Germany, I have really no idea what is going to happen in group B.

Last Euro 2008 we were also in the pool of death with world champion Italy, and vice world champion France, but hey.. Hol-Italy 3:0 and Hol - FR 4-1 so who knows what might happen ;)

In group C I doubt Spain and Italy won't stay focused not becoming group winners.
Group A, ... euh yeah.. lol? :p

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Praying for a new beginning...

yeah I guess England will be stage winner, France will probably fail again, and Sweden might give us a surprise becoming 2nd in group D.

You think we'll be group winners? Have you never watched a major football competition in the last decade? ;) We'll barely scrape through in second place if Capello picks the usual suspects who've been in the team for the last few cups. They're got too much mental baggage and too much of a legacy of utter failure to be worth picking.

He made some seriously worrying tactical decisions in South Africa (not playing Joe Hart in goal for a start), so I'm hoping he'll pick a squad with more youth and drive this time. That's the make or break moment for England. If the squad contains too many past failures, it'll drag England down.

Predcaliber

One Day I'l Beat Lauke
Jun 17, 2003
The Netherlands
www.predcaliber.com

Haha, whats so incredibly funny about thinking that the still disorganized France, and Sweden cant be beaten by England??? Despite England's current selection, What do you think? France or Sweden will be group winner then? :rolleyes:

Remember last World cup? France lost from South Africa and Mexico,and drawed against Urugay...
Where was Sweden by the way? oh yeah, they didnt qualify.

England made it to 1/8 finals, with Germany - England 4-1.
Sure, quite a score, but England got one goal denied that could have turned the game for sure. :)

Last edited:

DarkEmperor

Buried By The Dead
Mar 22, 2002
Visit site
I don't laugh about that, I laugh because the fellow has put it very well in a very décomplexé (sic!) way. I support England but truth is that it is a "loser" team, as was Spain before the "Barcelona way of playing".

A goal denied... naah that was a poor excuse for those who didn't want to see England's problems, Germany dominated England with fast and precise football, their team was 2 classes above the competition, together with Holland and Spain one of the best teams in the tournament.

Last edited:

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
Group B is the one to keep an eye on.
Germany should be favourites but I wouldn't bet against Holland, Portugal or Denmark for that matter.
England to win against France and Sweden?

DarkEmperor

Buried By The Dead
Mar 22, 2002
Visit site
Things become more interesting in the next round... Poor teams from Group A play with Germany or Holland... And England (1st or 2nd place) has to face Spain or Italy :) It's funny though that Europe will be unproductive for a month :)

Last edited:

Israphel

Sim senhor, efeitos especial
Sep 26, 2004
Lisboa,Portugal

How come everyone in the country and club managers can see this, but when it comes to England we'll get the same old slow, useless failures we've had before. Barry, Lampard and Gerrard in midfield. Terry and Ferdinand in defence. Again.

I'd love to see England play:

Hart
Walker Lescott Jagielka Cole
Rodwell
Wilshire Cleverly
Young Sturridge A. Johnson

Every single one of them has technique and pace...but they have little experience (which also translates as little history of failure)
I wouldn't expect them to win, but they'd certainly play decent football and start to build a team for the world cup.

Reserves

Not sure about the 2 keepers
Smalling Jones Cahill K. Gibbs
Palker
Milner Rooney
Walcott Welbeck Lennon

Predcaliber said:
Remember last World cup?
Most England supporters are trying their best to forget it...

France lost from South Africa and Mexico,and drawed against Urugay...
Where was Sweden by the way? oh yeah, they didnt qualify.

England never do well against France (nor Sweden for that matter...recent meaningless friendly aside). I was at the England France game in Euro 2004. We played France off the park and STILL managed to lose 2-1 due to England's mental fragility whenever it comes to tournaments. Both France's goals coming right at the end from ridiculous England back passes, losing possession and then desperate fouls to get the ball back resulting in a penalty and a free kick (which everyone on the stadium just knew Zidane was going to score from).

England made it to 1/8 finals, with Germany - England 4-1.
Sure, quite a score, but England got one goal denied that could have turned the game for sure.
It's one way of looking at it. Another is that England were desperately poor against Algeria (0-0), USA (1-1) and Slovenia (1-0), then got outplayed by a fantastic German team. England had a decent 10 minutes late in the first half when Lampard's goal was unfairly disallowed, and it MIGHT have changed the course of the game...but it's unlikely as Germany were superb in that match and England were inept.

I'd love England to go out with the young players and play a high tempo counter-attacking game much like Germany do. We're still a long way behind Spain, Germany, Holland, Italy and Portugal, but it would be great just to see England play proper football again and not like complete strangers who've never met each other before, which has been the case since France 98