RAGE

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Just in case you missed it:

There's no point replying. I can't see your posts anymore.

It's not disagreeing with someone that is the issue it's the manner and tone of the troll that does it.

Seriously; if you can't disagree/debate without looking like you have the communications skills of a four-year-old and you are at least over fifteen you are either a troll or mentally handicapped.

Trolling and flame wars around here got old about seven or eight years ago.

I don't mind people disagreeing and debating. I don't expect to agree with everyone myself. I'm not going to flame people in the process. That's so 2004.

It doesn't mean people can't have fun either but fun, at the expense of other people and respect, sucks arse.

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
Finished the game and I'm glad I'm done with it. The ending seemed to come out of nowhere and was a bit boring, like so many reviews stated. I wish this was a better game.

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
This game definitely had that sorta arcadey-gamey feel that I'd missed for a long time. I'd say I had gotten my fun out of it. If you're on the fence about it or just don't have much time... wait. Prolly gonna go on sale at Christmas anyhow.

Good thing it was paid for by other people.

Last edited:

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
Indeed - this was on my radar for quite a while but I'm gonna pass on this now I think.

which is sad because I think this is the best looking game out at the moment, ai is incredible and the gunplay is simply awesome.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Okay, well I've finished the campaign after a good bit of backtracking midway in a futile attempt at regaining a bugged achievement or two.

My take is this:

RAGE is a flawed game made up of brilliant pieces, stitched together poorly. If you're a fan of first person shooters you should play the game, but definitely not at full price.

The Good:
For all the heat the game has taken about pop-in textures, I must say that the issue has been satisfactorily resolved for the PC version, provided you're running a reasonably powerful system. It's true that up close, some textures just never reach a convincing level of detail (Carmack has promised a higher level of texture info in a patch), but viewed as a whole, the non-repeating nature of the details of the game world is simply stunning. It does things you've never seen before and it will make it hard to "unsee" in other games.

The game mechanics are typically smooth id. Everything feels right, particularly the shooting aspects of the game. The animation is absolutely top notch and the way the enemies use the environment to reach you is really something to see. At times the AI is disguised by effectively clever scripting and an excellent mix of stand-and-shoot enemies and rushers/grenade tossers. Many of the levels are awe-inspiring in their design and some of the "boss fights" make those levels truly special. A handful of side missions are brief and entertaining diversions. The voice acting is generally very good and it was a nice surprise to hear John Goodman at the beginning of the game.

The Bad:
The enemy AI can be woefully predictable at times, often falling into an unshakable pattern of peek-a-boo behind cover. Too many of the levels offer gameplay that feels recycled and while you'll still probably enjoy shooting in them, the experience becomes somewhat lifeless. The lack of destructible/movable items in the game is glaring. The Wasteland is simply an area for car combat in between corridor shooting and other than a few trick jumps there's very little reason to explore - nor do you feel as though you may have missed something once you've driven to each indoor area. There are also a very limited number of optional missions so you won't have missed much if you stick strictly to the main path.

The menu and UI is clearly very gamepad friendly and it can seem counter-intuitive at times. The decision to allow you to carry every weapon, but limiting the rotation to four, is baffling. You're forced to fiddle with the menu every time you want to change your loadout.

Driving is a bit touchy and probably lends itself better to a gamepad. The Rally games are infuriating, though thankfully few in number. The racing portion feels very tacked-on and could be skipped almost entirely.

Don't go into this expecting an amazing story - it's not there. It's tolerable and serviceable, but that's about it. The ending is as abrupt and dull as advertised. Not every game needs a big final showdown, but you should feel as though you've overcome one major final hurdle. It's very anti-climactic.

Summary:
All in all, there are some fine - even breathtaking - moments. Unfortunately, they are punctuated by disconnected periods of blah. Shooter fans should not miss it, but wait for a big price drop and the flaws will become easier to swallow.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Did you even play it?

I didn't have to. It is called watching Let's Plays and first impression videos. Dudes giving their thoughts 5 hours into the game. Helps me make my mind up without having to waste 60 bucks. If it goes on sale for 30 bucks then I will pick it up.

Last edited:

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
I didn't have to. It is called watching Let's Plays and first impression videos. Dudes giving their thoughts 5 hours into the game. Helps me make my mind up without having to waste 60 bucks. If it goes on sale for 30 bucks then I will pick it up.

Same kind of thing with me really.
I just don't go running aimlessly into buying games these days and there's enough media out there before release to give me an informed choice and a pretty accurate assessment of a game.
I never EVER pre-order a game.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
Yeah, the weapon switching indeed sucks if you want to use the HUD or scrollwheel. I gave up on those quick and just went back to good old number keys.
Driving is a bit touchy and probably lends itself better to a gamepad. The Rally games are infuriating, though thankfully few in number. The racing portion feels very tacked-on and could be skipped almost entirely.
Ironic considering some crummy reviewers today feel that the driving was probably the best part of the game. The races are beyond easy but the rocket rallies are indeed just frustrating. I didn't beat those until I figured out some cheap camping tactics for each new location.

Overall I was pretty happy with it. I felt the driving did really well with a keyboard, which is a first in quite a while. It probably would be better with a gamepad, especially considering how much of the game encourages the use of a gamepad but it still definitely wasn't worth switching over for me. I would have struggled a lot more in places like the gameshow or the distillery in the second wasteland without my mouse and keyboard.

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
The best parts of the game were the mini-games, because they're self-contained and don't need to be carried by story (though the cards seem oddly self-referential for the game's universe to be taken as something that would actually exist in that world), and getting the stunt jumps in the wastelands.

FlashIV

King of the Impossible
Oct 30, 2005
Illi-noise
The menu and UI is clearly very gamepad friendly and it can seem counter-intuitive at times. The decision to allow you to carry every weapon, but limiting the rotation to four, is baffling. You're forced to fiddle with the menu every time you want to change your loadout.

I noticed that you can use any weapon in your inventory if you use the number keys to switch weapons, but the scroll wheel only cycles between the four that are mapped to the "d-pad"

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004

It's also called experiencing something. Sure, the game isn't worth 60 bucks, but it's not trash like no one should ever talk about it.

I hope they release modding tools soon..

Last edited:

Spiney

Jun 12, 2010
I finished it a couple of weeks back. A lot of the complaints are valid, and the ending is indeed a big *wtf*. You'dd think that after 6 years of time they could come up with something more than half a map and a 3 button 'end boss'.

Some of the guns are redundant when you get the better ones, the character 'interaction' -- SNES style! is stupid. Virtual chores are a pain in the ass, 'the resistance' 'movement' equals YOU and YOU ONLY.

Christ, this makes Doom 3 look like Othello.
Not to mention the missions are linear as hell.

And despite all that I thought it was a good game, not great, but it delivers on it's promises. Guns feel good, the artwork is amazing, enemies are fun, AI is solid and animation is bar none best I've seen in a videogame.
It's funny, but the racing is just as much, if not more so fun than the actual shooting.

My advice: get it on sale, don't expect too much, but don't believe all the drama on some forums, that's totally blown out of proportions.