What do You Want from BeyondUnreal?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
What I hear you saying is that you're for combining the Unreal forums and combining the Tournament forums. Correct?

It would probably be best to do that for now, unless or until you guys are willing to merge the sections into the games section and somehow automatically applying text tags such as [Unreal] and [UT2k4] before every thread coming from the former Unreal sections.

People probably scroll down if they are going to the Development section anyways.

Another option is merge the UT subsections and Unreal subsections into one section each (TWO SECTIONS TOTAL) with the text tags and then have those on the front of the index?

Or at least open up the 6 subsections under "games" instead of having it so deep.

Last edited:

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
Please, let's keep the classic Unreal and UT forums separate, it would be a real mess otherwise.

Wowbagger

Curing the infection...
May 20, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
I dont post anything these days but i do have BU as one of my 6 homepages in FF so i visit the frontpage every day.

Nothing Epic does interests me any more and im actually happy they dont announce a new unreal title becauses they would surely ruin it.

Someone mentioned UDK and i agree with that, more news about that community would interest me.
I still hope for a Unreal remake L4D style made by the community.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
I disagree with merging forums as well, for a very simple reason: sticky threads. If you were to preserve those and add tags to them, then, as Raynor pointed out, it would be a huge mess and you wouldn't be able to see the actual posts below.

I don't mind the games being under Games myself, that sort of allows me to look through the discussion of other games as well. But I do agree that making forums for Unreal and UT with old subforums still there would be better, since this is still BeyondUnreal.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
I disagree with merging forums as well, for a very simple reason: sticky threads. If you were to preserve those and add tags to them, then, as Raynor pointed out, it would be a huge mess and you wouldn't be able to see the actual posts below.

Maybe. Most of the sticky threads are probably unnecessary anyways. I'm able to post in those forums and talk about Unreal fine without having viewed those threads. I'm also able to play the games fine without reading those stickies.

One thing is for sure, I'd love to start playing and talking about UT again, but that's not going to happen with the current setup. I'm not gonna be spending the time checking up on subforums and having to sift through gems like:

"Why has Black Cheetah been banned?"

Oh well. :hmm:

Maybe we can have a UT/fragbu thread in the games section and just leave the subforums up too for people that for some reason feel the need to read and post threads like the above mentioned. :con:

DannyMeister

UT3 Jailbreak Coder
Dec 11, 2002
Bolivar, Missouri
What I hear you saying is that you're for combining the Unreal forums and combining the Tournament forums. Correct?

I was actually just saying that I was worried about getting the Unreal/UT related forums buried. If you feel that something is dying, then putting it underground will certainly finish it off.

I wasn't aware before now that trying to keep the main index all tidy was an important goal. I always try to use it similar to a site map on any forum that I visit. When forums are buried within other forums and not visible at that level, I don't know they exist. I would know here at BU, but I'm speaking as a newcomer to the site. This has happened to me elsewhere.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
A tidy index is only a byproduct and not the overall goal. It's more about intelligently combining slow/inactive related forums, resulting in a larger core audience that might then find new reasons to cross over.

I don't feel as though we're burying anything from newcomers because if they want to discuss an Unreal-related title, a quick scan will reveal that Games is the most likely forum for that conversation. Furthermore, the most current topic amongst General Games and all of the Unreal forums will show up on the main index.

I think it's a win-win if everyone can get past an extra click (or no extra clicks if you're posting in one of the unreal game forums that was previously under the Classics category).

StreetPreacher

Mar 10, 2001
I'd like to see more coverage of recent map and mod releases. I know those are already covered, but it seems to be a small fraction of what's out there (but still filter for quality, obviously).

AlCapowned

Jan 20, 2010
The new layout (with the Unreal/UT sections being open) is convenient. I think I like it more than the old layout.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
I remember when... ;)

As others have said already, I'd prefer to see news and content about this community, rather than other UE games.

The main reason is that nothing links those games to this community aside from the engine. That's not reason enough to cover them at length in my opinion.

Stick to what this community does best. Let the rest cover the big name games. Because they just aren't Unreal :)

Beyond the games, and out into the community.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
What do you want from BeyondUnreal?

Just another forum to discuss games w/ gaming news, it's not like the site can rely on Unreal related titles forever, and the offtopic section has been more active than anything else for years.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I mean, face it. The guy that comes around the offtopic section delivering a tale about how UT is awesome is the next "live-under-a-rock-1995" expert.

Sort of like NeoNite. D:

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
How about 2 or 3 game subforums directly accessible from the main page?

- Unreal games
- UDK projects
- Other Games

or

- Unreal and UDK
- Other Games

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
I mean, face it. The guy that comes around the offtopic section delivering a tale about how UT is awesome is the next "live-under-a-rock-1995" expert.

Sort of like NeoNite. D:

UT was released in 1999, you hibernating gerbil rubbing quebecian wookie molesting pizza faced antoine de meutrier look alike. Learn your history, heretic.

I like how the games section looks. Splitting OT and games topics up was a good move.

And some news topics related to unreal and UT (any) projects be it maps/mods anything, would be nice to see :)

You guys really (have) put your heart into this site. I don't know how you manage all this, even with a family. But you do.

Last edited: