The WIP Screenshot Thread!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
But this "ParalaxBumpMapping" doesn't need DirectX11 afaik. About six years ago I've been helping out a mod called "UltimaUnreal" (it was called "E.P.O.S." later, RIP), and we have brought exactly this kind of paralax-mapping with these "normal- + height- mapped materials" into UT'99's Engine and it worked quite well (5 years ago!). It added these visible 3D-polygons also to the edges of a surface without having to model them. :)

-

Last edited:

raziel31

Nov 25, 2003
South F.
Visit site
But this "ParalaxBumpMapping" doesn't need DirectX11 afaik. About six years ago I've been helping out a mod called "UltimaUnreal" (it was called "E.P.O.S." later, RIP), and we have brought exactly this kind of paralax-mapping with these "normal- + height- mapped materials" into UT'99's Engine and it worked quite well (5 years ago!). It added these visible 3D-polygons also to the edges of a surface without having to model them. :)
-

Well, the technique appeared in 2001, nothing is new indeed ;)

Apr 11, 2006
New demo map I've been working on.

[SCREENSHOT]http://www.wailofsuicide.com/screenshots/Shine1.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]http://www.wailofsuicide.com/screenshots/ShineDemo1.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

Bringing shock spam to new levels.

Nice shockbeam!
It's new to me, did you make it? Does the damage go down after bumping off a wall? :)

About the map:
Looks good so far. Is that water down there? Not shure, but textures or lighting (so far) lack in brightness. Add more trims to the edges. If there's a dark ground/wall texture next to the trim give the trim a bright texture (or the other way around).

-

Apr 11, 2006
Nice shockbeam!
It's new to me, did you make it? Does the damage go down after bumping off a wall? :)

About the map:
Looks good so far. Is that water down there? Not shure, but textures or lighting (so far) lack in brightness. Add more trims to the edges. If there's a dark ground/wall texture next to the trim give the trim a bright texture (or the other way around).

-

Thanks, yeah, the effect is something I've been wanting to do for a long time but just got around to coding up (with some assistance from Wormbo & Unrealscript IRC).

No reduced damage off of reflections. I think in gameplay it's actually nearly impossible to bounce a [beam] shot and hit a player, except for tactical combo usage or link gun primary spam.

Aesthetically the map is pretty unfinished and I agree with what you say on needing more brightness, trims, etc. The lights are all unsourced, no texture variation, loads of visual problems but those are all things that can come later.

[VaLkyR]Anubis

Foregone Destruction
Jan 20, 2008
Gaia
www.youtube.com
Wireframe coming his weekend when I get back onto my PC
Don't hurry up! Take your time! I'll be patient. ;)

@Wail of Suicide, good looking map and interesting shock beam effect. I like that! Guess this version of the shock beam makes matches a bit more funny, huh? Anyway, keep it up and bring more life to your map. :)

@Mclogenog, simple style for a map, but that doesn't mean, this is a "weird" map. I personally do like the look of your map! Simple, but effective! Hopefully you are soon done with it, hehe! :)

Cr4zyB4st4rd

I make awesome ©
Aug 8, 2008
P'Boro, UK
edgealmostdone.jpg

Last edited:

PsyXandeR

Aug 5, 2005
W00ting himself on CTF-AllYourW00T
@Crazy - Sexy. I'd watch out for floor tiles - there's some weird ( IMO) alignment going on on those ramps.

And here's something I've been working on yesterday. Still need to UV map those and throw them into UDK. :)

[SCREENSHOT]http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee281/aalexanderrr/Screenshot2011-03-31at172249.png[/SCREENSHOT]

Spiney

Jun 12, 2010

-

Parallax mapping = Virtual Displacement Mapping = displacement happens inside the pixel shader, pixels are offset, no new geometry is created.

True displacement mapping is different in that it actually subdivides the basemesh, hence it also smooths silhouettes and needs less input textures to achieve the effect of displacement.

For instance, normal maps which are used to create the illusion of geometry compress very badly with standard compression schemes -- lots of artifacting. This is because DXT1, 3 and 5 were built with compression of diffuse color data in mind.
Diffuse maps can be compressed lossy, surface normal data however needs to be normalized and it's generally not possible to store color components in lower precision and resolution as you would with DXT or JPG compression.

So, the problem with normal maps is that they take up a lot of memory, since they either have to be saved without compression, or use a special compression scheme such as 3Dc which uses lossless compression, but still has a 1/2 compression factor, which is rather high compared to the standard 1/8 ratio provided by DXT1 for diffuse maps.

Displacement mapping makes sense, because instead of having to store 3 or 4 components (normal X, normal Y, binormal, and displacement )
you only need to store 1: the surface height offset. Since new geometry is created on the fly this means that you theoretically (not all engines do it like this) do not need to store additional data. Another interesting feature is that it simplifies the management of level of detail.

That's the theory, in a nutshell, ofcourse in real life you'll bump into other more subtle issues, like how to manage creases etc. Which Epic is working on afaik.
Also I said only store one component, but there's also vector displacement mapping, which needs 3 components -- it's a more advanced form of displacement. Some engines also store the normals for other reasons.

Last edited:

xMurphyx

Jun 2, 2008
liandri.darkbb.com
But wasn't the whole point of normal mapping that the mesh did not have to be insanely high-poly and still kinda sorta look as if it was?
How come it's better to just make it high-poly again? And not even in a really controlled manner, but just through tesselation?

Last edited:

Spiney

Jun 12, 2010
Well, the way I understand is that it's essentially a form of data compression, LOD and a method for managing skinning and animation more cheaply then you would with a true high poly character.

The thing is, Epic makes their source models with millions of polygons, polygons which are smaller then a pixel in a lot of cases.
With displacement mapping you can subdivide based on distance, screenspace size, memory and fillrate limits of the GPU, etc.
Also storage is managable this way, models usually don't take that much space, but if you have a 20 million vertices model then you're gonna run into trouble. Also the time it would take for the CPU to upload all of that to the GPU would certainly cause serious hitching.
The fact that you can subdivide based on the actual size in pixels a character takes up on your screen, means that you won't need to render many sub pixel triangles, or do complex culling techniques just to make it move at a decent framerate. Also animation, and character skinning would take up tons of processing power. From a modelling point of view it also makes sense, since UV mapping and texturing is easier.

So yes, displacement mapping makes everything much more high poly, but it's actually a highly controllable manner as opposed to just using the high poly meshes. Another benefit is the simplicity it brings back, as renderers have became increasingly complex over the past decade with all kinds of exotic pixel shaders to give the illusion of higher poly geometry.
Other cool thins are stuff like blending between different displacement maps, or even animated displacement maps. Which make stuff possible that was nearly impossible before, like seamless morphing into another character, such as in Epic's demo.

PS: I am NOT a programmer, don't take the above as truth, because I might be wrong about certain things. :)

nELsOn

bSnakeCastShadow = True
Aug 18, 2005
on a plane
www.nelsonmaps.wordpress.com
I like the clean and colorful look. It also seems to be rather small, which is good because I like smaller maps.
The cables are a nice touch, too. However, some of them seem pretty lowpoly.
The bright blue sky is nice, as well. I'm looking forward to checking this out myself.

Cr4zyB4st4rd

I make awesome ©
Aug 8, 2008
P'Boro, UK
I like the clean and colorful look. It also seems to be rather small, which is good because I like smaller maps.
The cables are a nice touch, too. However, some of them seem pretty lowpoly.
The bright blue sky is nice, as well. I'm looking forward to checking this out myself.

Yeah it was originally aimed for 1v1 but ended up a little bigger so I put an amp in for TDM.

Cables yeah, they're low poly, they could have been higher poly on a few, but it was all learning :)

And yes, the sky, with it's awesome random dynamic clouds ;)

Higuy

hi
Jul 1, 2010
USA
[SCREENSHOT]http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/8603/spindustry3.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]
[SCREENSHOT]http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/4610/spindustry2.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]
[SCREENSHOT]http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/3100/spindustry1.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

First ever Unreal map I've made... about half way complete, using default art assets from the UDK. Any crit is welcome for whats there so far.