Bulletstorm Demo Hits Xbox LIVE, PSN, PC To Follow?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

KaiserWarrior

Flyin' High
Aug 5, 2008
I just wouldn't take what Epic (the company) does as an indicator about how the majority of Epic (the employees) feel about PC versus consoles.

They are obviously showcasing the game on 360 because they are expecting to get the majority of their sales on that platform, but once people see the kind of combos you can get on the PC that just aren't going to be possible on the consoles, it will be interesting to see what happens.

Bulletstorm combos are not going to convince console players to suddenly start caring about PC versions. There's a reason they play their FPS games on a console and not on a PC. They chose that platform for whatever reason (can't/don't want to buy a gaming PC, prefer not to deal with installing and configuring, etc.), and getting a few more points in BS isn't going to change that.

As far as I am concerned, No Demo = No Purchase. If the people that make a game are either too embarrassed to show me a demo, or can't be assed to make one, they don't earn my money.

It was the same with MW2. They wanted to treat their PC customers like **** by not having dedicated servers and giving us "features" like "mouse and keyboard support", they didn't get my money. To this day I never touched any version of that game.

There are plenty of companies and teams these days, both indie and professional, that make PC games and actually give a **** about the platform. Enough that I don't throw money at people that treat me like a second-class customer because I don't play their genres on consoles.

Maybe one of these days, these modern dev teams that think they can just throw a lazy port at the PC and pick up some sales will wonder why their AAA millions-of-dollars-in-the-making blockbuster doesn't earn a penny from people like me, but we still drop bucks on GOG's catalog of games from ten+ years ago. Maybe they'll consider that, if they just put some effort into the platform, they too will be selling copies of their game a decade down the line like Blizzard does with the original Starcraft.

Probably not though, because even terrible movie tie-in games sell decent on consoles these days.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Bulletstorm combos are not going to convince console players to suddenly start caring about PC versions. There's a reason they play their FPS games on a console and not on a PC. They chose that platform for whatever reason (can't/don't want to buy a gaming PC, prefer not to deal with installing and configuring, etc.), and getting a few more points in BS isn't going to change that.
I never said it would. I'm more interested to see if console gamers start whining that Epic needs to fix their version of the game because they CAN'T pull them off.

On another note, Epic didn't really do great at supporting UT3 for the PC, but I wouldn't say it was a console port (because it wasn't).

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
On another note, Epic didn't really do great at supporting UT3 for the PC, but I wouldn't say it was a console port (because it wasn't).

Meh, same difference.

Sure, if we have to get pedantic about it, then technically it was Multiplat from the very start, and not technically a port in the truest sense of that word.

But it's the same difference to the end consumer, all that we see is that the PC version was compromised, that it was limited in ways to make it easier to create the PS3 build (without having to develop 2 compleately sepperate games), the most obvious thing there beeing the UI, and the gross lack of features.

That is why people call it a "port", even if technically it wasen't one, it makes no real difference, it looks like one, and it plays like one, and saying "port" is a lot easier than saying "not sufficiently differentiated from the console build, inadequately optimized, and failed to live up the common expectations for featuresets present on the PC platform".

That second one might be more accurate, but meh, i'll just say "port" because it's short and to the point! :p

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Instead of blaming it on something that it isn't, why not say what it really was: "a poor PC game". If we were going to get all technical and specific about it we'd say that the gameplay was well done but the menu/UI shortfalls were inexcusable.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Instead of blaming it on something that it isn't, why not say what it really was: "a poor PC game". If we were going to get all technical and specific about it we'd say that the gameplay was well done but the menu/UI shortfalls were inexcusable.

If that floats your boat, then sure, i won't harsh your mellow.

I'll stick to "port" though, because i use that term in it's broad sense, and not it's narrower technical sense.

Basically, the term "port" has taken on the meaning "a multiplat/ported game that doesen't feel like a good enough PC game" in the PC community thease days, that is how it's commonly used, and that is how people use it in relation to UT3 aswell, it doesen't really matter if it was technically ported or not, it has just become a 4-letter word now that describes any multiplat or ported game, that PC gamers don't feel live up to it's potential on the PC platform.

Considder it "slang" if you will, but that is what most people mean when they use the word "port", and though you may disagree with this common use of the word, it's not going away, and it's pretty pointless to argue about it, as a fellow PC gamer you are probably in agreeance with their underlying point, so why care if the word they chose to describe it is technically the most accurate one?

I have adopted it myself, despite knowing it's not technically accurate to use in all cases, for the simple reason that it is a 4-letter word that instantly gets your point across, that you don't feel the game in question delivers all it could or should on the PC, simple, to the point, and allmost everyone in the PC gaming community gets the message instantly when you use it.

Why fight the tide? you can't command the damned thing to turn back anyway..

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
So you're going to use port to mean the wrong thing even though the meaning you are giving it is far too close to the actual meaning of port for there to be an actual distinction between the term taking on a new meaning and the term simply being used incorrectly? Okay.... :shake:

A bad PC is a bad PC game is a bad PC game. If there weren't console version of UT3 would you call it a bad game or a bad port? That tells you all you need to know. I'll stick to using the term "port" correctly. You're free to use it however you want, doesn't mean it's being used correctly.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Yeah i'm done with this, if you still can't grasp the point after that post, then i hold out little to no hope of this conversation going anywhere.

Also, if you must act like a sardonic jerk, then atleast do it with some conviction and flair, so we might atleast derive some humour from the exchange, that bargain bin resentment isen't going to ammuse anyone.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Yeah i'm done with this, if you still can't grasp the point after that post, then i hold out little to no hope of this conversation going anywhere.

Also, if you must act like a sardonic jerk, then atleast do it with some conviction and flair, so we might atleast derive some humour from the exchange, that bargain bin resentment isen't going to ammuse anyone.
I understood what you said just fine, it has nothing to do with comprehension. It has to do with being realistic about the problems games can have. Calling something a bad port when it wasn't ported and then also saying "Yeah I know that's not technically right but it gets the point across" is utter lunacy. It DOESN'T get the point across because it is categorically incorrect and ALWAYS sounds more like an excuse for not liking the game than any criticism about the game itself.

I have no problem criticizing UT3 for all of its faults, but being a "port" is not one of them.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Grobut is entirely correct in his opinions, even though I don't believe that UT3 was a particularly bad game. The PC version was heavily compromised due to concessions made to cater for the console platforms.

It may not be a port in the technical sense of the word, since it was developed to be multiplatform, but it has all the same avoidable short comings you'd expect from a port done lazily.

If it looks like one, smells like one and tastes like one, it might as well be one. If that's 'lunacy', you have some serious issues to work out in your ability to draw comparisons.

Sparkling white wine sure as hell isn't technically Champagne if it doesn't come from Champagne, but is hasn't stopped people (in the US in particular) from calling it as such.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
The demo sure is a major tease, and it also gets old quickly. This game needs mod support OR at least editor, and get released now. Period.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
This game needs mod support OR at least editor, and get released now. Period.

That's what I really want too :c
Game is fun, people will play it again and again for a scoreboard, but replayability isn't as high as the one of action games with REAL combos

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
...yay after having played the same demo 100 times and knowing where the enemies are and what to do in every situation?

This does not represent real gameplay.

The online co-op will be different, but I suspect people will stick around sharp objects for Voodoo Doll skillpoints and abuse that. Otherwise it's pretty linear, yeah.

Everything with a scoreboard needs to be linear, basically: it makes it even for every competitor as they basically get the same scenarios to compete.

Demo is actually pretty fun for a few goes. Quite short, but you get the feel for it very quickly. The impression I'm getting is very Borderlands, but only time with the full game will tell if the level of self-aware parody is up to the sophistication of Claptrap and friends. The demo suggests probably not, but the gameplay seems to work well and that's all that really matters.

Vaginal Epiphany

Jun 11, 2010
Finally played the demo, was exactly what I expected it to be, extremely casual, press-x-to-win. The real challenge seemed to be dying, because no matter how many times I got shot I still kept going, while listening to the terrible one liners the characters shout at every possible moment.

Meh.