One Year Later There's No UT3 Client For Linux

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
lol, and that's also the final nail in the coffin for UT3 even thought it's been dead for a long time and proof that Epic doesn't give a **** about the game. I guess everyone was hoping it would turn into a zombie but that nail will prevent it from escaping.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
My guess is that Epic is simply completely uninvolved with the development of the Linux version anymore. Notice that none of the recent statements have been said with any surety.

WedgeBob

XSI Mod Tool User
Nov 12, 2008
Cleveland, OH, USA
I'm not even sure if Fedora 13's really a good distro of Linux for gaming, anyway...primarily because Red Hat and Fedora Project seems to require that programs run as long as they have a source code attached. Ubuntu didn't have to do that, iirc.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
You don't. :)

It is true that the goal of the Fedora project is

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing said:
to create a complete, general purpose operating system exclusively from Free and Open Source software

but that only refers to the software that comes with Fedora.

There is no restriction imposed by the Fedora project on what you can install to run under Fedora. That can include items such as proprietary games or graphics drivers. Indeed, the Fedora project's work on PackageKit has led to the situation where being able to install the packaged Nvidia driver requires only two web links to be clicked (on the RPMFusion web site) and then the driver to be selected for installation. For less taxing games, the default Nouveau driver can be used (albeit that Nouveau is still several sandwiches short of a picnic from being a fully capable 3D driver).

Last edited:

WedgeBob

XSI Mod Tool User
Nov 12, 2008
Cleveland, OH, USA
Thanks for that clarification. However, I believe the only distro which accepts a direct ATI driver is Ubuntu...could be wrong. The others have to go through RPMFusion. Trust me, I've been there, I wound up installing ATI's drivers directly with Fedora 13, and wound up with a blank screen after booting the splash screen, and had to clean install Fedora all over again, which wasn't pretty.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Thanks for that clarification. However, I believe the only distro which accepts a direct ATI driver is Ubuntu...could be wrong. The others have to go through RPMFusion. Trust me, I've been there, I wound up installing ATI's drivers directly with Fedora 13, and wound up with a blank screen after booting the splash screen, and had to clean install Fedora all over again, which wasn't pretty.
I could well believe that the kmod was buggy but that's not the same thing as a policy. :)

I stuck with Nouveau for a while but eventually the KDE/driver issues became to much to ignore and I installed the Nvidia driver from RPMFusion. It pretty much "just worked" (bar a minor gotcha that the 32-bit drivers have to be installed explicitly on a 64-bit OS).

Anyway, I moved on and am now bleeding away with F14 Alpha... :)

WedgeBob

XSI Mod Tool User
Nov 12, 2008
Cleveland, OH, USA
Yeah, just better hope that Ubuntu 10.10 will correct the problems that plagued 10.04, that had to single-handedly be the worst version of Ubuntu that Canonical ever released. That's one reason why I did make the switch to Fedora 13 in the first place.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania

Heh, that's exactly what happened to me after upgrading OpenSUSE 11.2 -> OpenSUSE 11.3, X server crashes or you get a black screen. But nothing a little bit of Google can't fix. Same thing with the sound, had even 2 problems with it and fixed both after some Google work. I regard those issues as fun - you learn quite a bit about how everything works once you actually get down to investigating problems, and in the end you feel accomplished something.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
and in the end you feel accomplished something.
But sometimes, you just want to read your mail... :)

I like being on the bleeding edge. I file bug reports and assist in investigations etc. So, my stuff is all new and troublesome and immensely satisfying when you help fix it or understand the arcane incantation required to make it work.

My wife's laptop is running F12 (and will until it goes out of support). That machine "just works" for her. Her use of Linux is an interesting case study - the laptop was running Vista and I had left it well alone on the grounds that it was "just working" for her. Imagine my surprise when she asked could she have the same software that was on my PCs and my daughter's laptop! This, because she had noticed that we were doing useful work whilst Vista was still winding up. So, F11 it was. We've had one upgrade to F12 and I imagine we'll go to F14 in December. The essential feature of this has been the "just works" aspect. As I default to KDE, she's retained access to the Vista features that she liked (gadgets/widgets). She can browse the web, read mail, find out what the weather is like outside (seemingly, it is no longer fashionable to look out of a window to perform that task)

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Yea, that's why you don't upgrade when you just want to check your mail :D

One thing I've noticed that puzzles me - OpenSUSE LiveCDs somehow tend to always "just work". Which is odd, since I usually get a whole lot of troubles once I install it to the HDD. For example, the sound worked just perfectly, and when I installed it, it was totally broken... Another case I remember was when we just got internet in our new home, and the Windows installation didn't have the drivers for the network card, yet Linux just worked out of the box, and through there I was able to get the needed drivers.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
OpenSUSE has gone downhill lately. It used to be the primo KDE distribution but lately it has been buggy, late on important kernel patches, and difficult to work with.

I lost my faith in Red Hat when they started the Fedora Core project and I have never gone back. I like my Kubuntu too much now to mess with anything else, although I do still run openSUSE in VirtualBox and I am interested in trying out Arch with KDE someday.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
OpenSUSE has gone downhill lately. It used to be the primo KDE distribution but lately it has been buggy, late on important kernel patches, and difficult to work with.

I lost my faith in Red Hat when they started the Fedora Core project and I have never gone back. I like my Kubuntu too much now to mess with anything else, although I do still run openSUSE in VirtualBox and I am interested in trying out Arch with KDE someday.
It is interesting the perspectives arising here. From the outside (i.e. I don't use it), Kubuntu has a rather unloved child reputation but it sounds as though it runs sweetly enough for you.

Until you mentioned it, no one has mentioned Red Hat (Enterprise Linux). For me it is the distribution of choice for anything boring (by which I mean work where I do not want surprises or an exciting life). It is very well supported by third-party vendors and hardware suppliers. In general, RHEL will be the first of the Linux platforms qualified by a third-party vendor. And (and this is where I think one should not lose faith in RH) if you don't want to pay then you can use CentOS or Scientific Linux. Red Hat understands that the derivatives don't really take any business from them but they do buy mindshare and sometimes when projects go from trial to production they end up being deployed on RHEL rather than CentOS because the suits like having someone to sue.

Of course, compared to modern desktops RHEL 5 looks very long in the tooth but RHEL 6 (approximately Fedora 12.5) is out in beta 2 at the moment and other than having gone with KDE 4.3 (I would have rather seen 4.4 - we'll just have to wait for the desktop refresh in RHEL 6.2:)) it is looking pretty good.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
I've used Kubuntu (and Xubuntu) earlier, and, well, I like them all. But personally I prefer OpenSUSE because of RPM system and YaST2 - a control panel is really lacking especially in Xubuntu. Kubuntu has the KDE control panel, but it's still not enough for me, since you can't change things like sound devices there.
As for it having bugs - I haven't noticed much, although I have to agree that I had to do less to make 11.2 work and I'm still having issues, but those are mainly due to FGLRX, so it's not Novell's fault. Not sure about patches, too, since I'm not that much concerned with security on Linux. Not many people are trying to hack them anyway. As for difficulty to work with - that comes down to the person, one might like one setup better, the other prefers another.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
It's not really security patches but kernel level driver and feature updates that take forever to get into openSUSE.

I used to love openSUSE because it was kept up to date well and KDE integration was so tight. However, everytime I try to use it as my primary OS lately, there is some issue not present in Kubuntu that drives me crazy and makes me go back to Kubuntu.

Plus openSUSE has far less software standard in the repository. You can often still find it in rpm somewhere, but not having it available from yast can get annoying fast.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
OpenSUSE now has Webpin that lets you find and install pretty much everything, it's not limited to repositories you have any more. And you can use the Factory repository for latest kernels and such.