UT3 HOLP3 Volume 2 Released!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

cooloola

A good samaritan
Dec 31, 2005
I've just played the DM maps so far, they're all good, but Ith is exceptional and milb I am so glad you're back to mapping and I hope to see more from you soon.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
another good pack!

CTF-Compression >> I like the dark atmosphere and shadows but the skybox needs work. This is a straight-on CTF with a few path options (basically yes there are path options but it's none that actually go off away from the main action areas by very far) and some opportunities for z-axis, especially in the central area. I did also notice that the other team pursues well.

CTF-Delude >> Are we playing inside a soccer ball? "follow the yellow brick line":) This is a very tight CTF with nice floors and the bots could be better.

CTF-Lapse >> With Slain and Hazel, what could go wrong? Actually, almost nothing except with three bots at the base they still can't defend. This has an excellent sky with blue planet and wild neon dark atmosphere. Also a very good layout with many paths and tight at the bases. This is my favorite CTF in the pack.

CTF-Lime >> Lime...cool as a mountain stream! I liked the sky, mountains and limes and it added a certain "je ne sais quoi" to the map. I'm not too sure about the deco though and the gameplay is better. I did notice that the bots were fairly good and they did pursue.

DM-Azul >> This is a small dark map with neon (seen somewhere before).:) Nice layout and bot not too bad but he cheats with the biorifle (as all the bots do in all the maps). This one is probably a blast on servers and is my favorite DM and favorite map in the pack. Not too sure why some people don't like the narrow ledges, find the layout confusing and the placement of the ramps and lifts unintuitive; all that seems fine to me.

DM-Ith >> Interesting use of textures and colors, but the sky needs some work. This one plays fine, nice z-axis and I liked the Udamage tucked away. What jumppads?;) Once again, I like the jumppads, narrow ledges, layout, ramp/lift placement and especially like the vertical jump to horizontal jump (this was a lot of fun to do).

DM-Psi >> The layout seems a bit different but it's still fun and I like the water and sky. The sniper rifle is placed too low, the bots are too easy and there are too many health packs/vials (there must be too much health because I usually never complain about this; in fact, I bitch about there not being enough).:) Once again, no problems with narrow ledges, the layout or placement of ramps/lifts.

DM-Remorse >> This is just plain z-axis madness with jumppads that remind me a little of Q3. Bots are good and there are some wild jumps to be had here. I also noticed the decent sky and good texture design. I liked the jumppads, z-axis, narrow ledges, good layout, placement of ramps/lifts, lift jumps and trick jumps.

DM-Tumult >> OMG, we have to double jump!!!;) I liked the jumppads, double jumps, weapon selection, level design and easy navigation; although, the area with the two health packs should have a lift also. I noticed the rocky materials, cool-looking sky, wild floors, electrical sparks up high and hexagon panels and liked them as well. The teleporters add a somewhat random element to this map and the design is different and good. Definitely a good 1on1 map. Is this a CTF map also (I noticed the directional red/blue colors)?

DM-Wounds >> This map has good use of the tan and brown textures with crazy architecture. This together with the moving fans and novel teleporter design create a cool atmosphere. I did notice that the sky and sunbeams need a little work though. Definitely not too many lifts in this one although the large central one might be a little awkward at first. I never saw the bots attempting to lift jump to the shield belt but I did notice that the bots were good in this one.

DM-Z >> This has good shadows and design with the almost lego floors and the...wtf is that blue thing? Oh, a teleporter.:) I'm not sure I like the cubes that much, but I did like the placement of the Udamage. I did notice the bots getting stuck under the shock rifle though. I liked the narrow ledges, layout and ramp/lift placement; you just have to figure out what to do and then it's fun.

WAR-Flux >> Wild inside (almost cool CTF-type layout) WAR map and very sunny and windmill-like outside. I liked this one and it's the best WAR map in the pack.;) Seriously though, I don't play WAR that much and this was definitely fun.:)

Last edited:

Slainchild

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2004
London, Ontario
www.slainchild.com
It's 5:24am...

Thanks for taking the time to check out the HOLP packs SkaarjMaster, the same goes for everyone else who's done so in the past. :)

A comment on my own levels, and I get the feeling I've said this somewhere before, but I wanted to post something--

I've always tried to map with mutliplayer tactics and strategies in mind. The human brain is massively complex, and the pre-programmed UT3 bots simply cannot accurately replicate its way of thinking. So when I'm planning stuff out, figuring out what to do with a certain gameplay element, or even the smaller visual details, I try and imagine what a good multiplayer gamer would expect to play or see. I don't normally test with bots during development, but I do try and play against or spectate real people. Bot support comes second, and is usually last-minute job, so I'm sorry for that.

Someone told me UT3's multiplayer community is deaded beyond dead. Its nice to know you're enjoying the maps offline, even if the bot support is a little flaky in places. :)

Something also tells me the other HOLP contributors share (some of) my thoughts. If they don't.. Well, lets just say I might have to get my laserboots out again. :mad:

Ignotium

Que hora es?
Apr 3, 2005
Madrid
CTF-Compression >> I like the dark atmosphere but the skybox needs work. This is a straight-on CTF with a few options and minimal z-axis. I did also notice that the other team pursues well.

What? have you mistaken compression for another map or what? that really makes no sense

Thanks for the comment on my map, and like Slain said, the shield was not designed to be taken by bots, not even by unskilled players. That jump is quite a tricky one

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
I call them as I see them, maybe I should have said minimal z-axis as compared to other maps in the pack, but I'll check it out again tonight and then modify my comment for CTF-Compression.

As far as DM-Wounds, I was just commenting that I never saw the bots get stuck at the shield belt as others have, but I only tried one or two matches also.:)

EDIT: I'll go ahead and check out the comments here and at Epic forums and change my initial comments accordingly based on playing some of these maps again tonight. I did kinda run through them quick.:)

Last edited:

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
Even worse than Collisions? (adding blocking volumes throughout the map and setting meshes to only block weapons etc). :eek:
HOLP mapppers are leet and don't use StaticMeshes... ;) Bots at least aren't as annoying as they were in 2k4...

There was a bot pathing issue in DM-Ith where a bot gets stuck in a high ledge (I think it was near the 50a), making the FPS drop terribly every time someone was in that bot's sight... is there an updated version? This bug kept me from choosing an otherwise awesome map several times... :(

Wounds is weird... :con: It must have been a real challenge to make a DM map of that size. While it offers a lot of lifttricks and z-axis, the thing doesn't finally make sense to me and was never able to learn the layout completely... :p I think it is because every room provides you too many stuff and routes to stay in the same room, whereas there's few ways to go to other zones of the map. When I spawned in a room, I always died in the same room or the next one, so the teleporter becomes the only way to effectively travel through the map. IMO such a big map should have been laid out with a stronger order scheme to help learning it, although it's still a fun and solid one...

Was a great pack overall, most of the maps became instant favourites... :tup:

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
I call them as I see them, maybe I should have said minimal z-axis as compared to other maps in the pack, but I'll check it out again tonight and then modify my comment for CTF-Compression.

It's fine, really. I'm mostly just surprised, because there is a seriously insane amount of z-axis possibility in the middle area. (or at least, I designed it that way)

Mclogenog

I put the lol in philology
Even worse than Collisions? (adding blocking volumes throughout the map and setting meshes to only block weapons etc). :eek:
Even in normal maps, I tend to prefer collision to pathing. After all of the thinking that goes into layout, weapon placement, pathing, meshing, and lighting, adding blocking volumes and adjusting the collision is almost relaxing. (Almost.)

Besides, with blocking volumes things seldom go wrong compared to pathing where bots are snafu. For some reason, bots like getting stuck between low value pickups, and it's tricky to fix.

Anyhow, thanks for taking the time to play the HOLP packs you guys!

Last edited:

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
It's fine, really. I'm mostly just surprised, because there is a seriously insane amount of z-axis possibility in the middle area. (or at least, I designed it that way)
He may have been playing Greed... one often forgets the map has a high sniping platfrom when the trans is not available... ;)

Hazel.H

Jan 15, 2004
Thanks for reviewing the maps SkaarjMaster, and it's nice to see people are still playing them :)

milb

****** from Teen Arts
Feb 12, 2004
Germany
www.milb-maps.net
G.Lecter said:
There was a bot pathing issue in DM-Ith where a bot gets stuck in a high ledge (I think it was near the 50a), making the FPS drop terribly every time someone was in that bot's sight... is there an updated version? This bug kept me from choosing an otherwise awesome map several times...
Hm, haven't had any problems there and still don't have. The pathing is messed up around the armor ... I could delete some paths which aren't used by the bots. Dunno if this would help.