Upcoming Unreal Alpha and Beta versions release

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
The problem with the CD checks is that it would cause problems for people that have the Steam or other digital versions of the game. I think a better idea would be a check for the Unreal .exe and a few other files so that people that have the digital version or plan on only having the digital version in the future (like me) won't get left in the dust if this is released.

As for the legal problems; have you blatantly told them that you have no intention of obtaining the source code? All you want is the beta files (like textures and models), .exes and the versions of UnrealEd attached to the betas.

No I didn't blatantly tell them that, but I thought it was clear. I mean there is someone who even got the sourcecode of Unreal by asking them and signing stuff, but I did not mention that. Why would they think I want sourcecode? Anyway Epic doesn't seem to have these files, or maybe has but hidden somewhere deep...

Gizzy

The Banhammer Cometh
May 30, 2009
United Kingdom
At first, Epic were reluctent to hand over the source, but an agreement was finally reached. Maybe the same could happen with the betas? Surely the betas are less valuable than the source to Unreal, so I see no reason whatsoever why Epic can't do the same with an individual here. I think it needs to be made clear that nobody wants the beta source code, just the betas themselves. Just like patch 227; if enough people want it, then why not give it to them? The betas are just as old as the source and hold less value. Someone from Epic even refered to the 227 patch on the Epic Games forums and stated that they do not monitor their progress or necessarily praise their work, but they do like that the source is being maintained.

More legal action and work would have been required with the NDA concerning the source code whereas the betas would not require as much attention. If Epic would agree to choosing someone to be part of an NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement) and then this someone and a small team would then be able to attempt to port the old assets to v225 to maximise compatability.

I pray Epic Games one day sees this thread and these posts and tries to do something about it. If they are forever lost, then they are forever lost but I am sure Epic is hiding something. Even though they once said "Those assets are long gone", I don't believe that they would ever totally erase all existance of the betas and alphas of the game that essentially put them on the map and begun a franchise of games that is globally known as one of the best FPS series to ever grace the PC and Console.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
The work on porting all of the assets would be simply massive and if it would be agreed on that, I would have to be on the team, but it would take a while before majority of that stuff would be ported, so the full betas are always better, with some install checks.
Why not mail this thread over then to someone over at Epic?

Last edited:

AWW SNACK

Feb 13, 2009
The work on porting all of the assets would be simply massive and if it would be agreed on that, I would have to be on the team, but it would take a while before majority of that stuff would be ported, so the full betas are always better, with some install checks.
Why not mail this thread over then to someone over at Epic?

A port would be worth more trouble than its worth. Besides, I find it best playing a beta in the engine it actually used, not a final version of the engine.

Regarding Epic not having the betas; its possible that there are a few early copies floating around the epic offices. I mean about a year ago there was a major Sega Genesis/Megadrive release that consisted of betas on old cds used by testers at sega. The CDs should've been disposed of years ago.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
A port would be worth more trouble than its worth. Besides, I find it best playing a beta in the engine it actually used, not a final version of the engine.

Regarding Epic not having the betas; its possible that there are a few early copies floating around the epic offices. I mean about a year ago there was a major Sega Genesis/Megadrive release that consisted of betas on old cds used by testers at sega. The CDs should've been disposed of years ago.

Yeah that's it. The guy who had this contract and had the betas was one of the testers, with his father (I hope it is okay to say that). He was not one of the main testers that were credited in game credits, but still was. Now, some of the testers are unheard of or dead, but I am sure some can be still contacted.

Anyway I do have the skills to manage the porting of the maps and most of the code, although I am bit of perfectionist and if I have to release some perfect conversion it takes time, otherwise it contains bugs or is not exactly same or not good enough, which makes me sad. Of course nowadays I don't have much patience or energy to work on something too long or I take too long pauses before starting to work on it again, if I don't release it within few days. But still it would be enormous work. I know one guy around who might manage to do it right too, that is SamuraiJake, I was impressed by some of his conversions and stuff.

Anyway as I said earlier, some of the legal issues that the legal department etc is making up is really ridiculous imo. Or that some people are afraid to share the stuff because they are afraid it won't bite them back.

Last edited:

AWW SNACK

Feb 13, 2009
Yeah that's it. The guy who had this contract and had the betas was one of the testers, with his father (I hope it is okay to say that). He was not one of the main testers that were credited in game credits, but still was. Now, some of the testers are unheard of or dead, but I am sure some can be still contacted.

If somebody that's not at Epic has the betas, then why aren't they released? Is it the fear of retribution that you mentioned later in your post?

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
If somebody that's not at Epic has the betas, then why aren't they released? Is it the fear of retribution that you mentioned later in your post?

Yes, it is always that. Or they just don't care or don't know others want them. I mean as betatesters they were not supposed to release it even. Or as with this guy, they were waiting for the right moment to release it (as it was said in the papers that after ten years it is expired and can be eventually released or something). But then the flood happened.

Last edited:

AWW SNACK

Feb 13, 2009
Yes, it is always that. Or they just don't care or don't know others want them. I mean as betatesters they were not supposed to release it even. Or as with this guy, they were waiting for the right moment to release it (as it was said in the papers that after ten years it is expired and can be eventually released or something). But then the flood happened.

Yeah I heard about that. :( Now I see why you're trying to get the betas from epic themselves and why you have to do all of this legal wrangling.

Gizzy

The Banhammer Cometh
May 30, 2009
United Kingdom
Some of the CD's do have water damage, but I know of a few shops around me that do CD repairs for a few quid :p

He was about to send some floppies to someone so they can extract the info (Before the flood :( )

If only other beta testers that still had these games would visit here...

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Some of the CD's do have water damage, but I know of a few shops around me that do CD repairs for a few quid :p

He was about to send some floppies to someone so they can extract the info (Before the flood :( )

If only other beta testers that still had these games would visit here...

It is usually expensive but I suggested to him that also...

Gizzy

The Banhammer Cometh
May 30, 2009
United Kingdom
It is usually expensive but I suggested to him that also...

Expensive to send the discs or expensive to repair them?

Sending them might cost a little, but not much. I'd be willing to pay the price :)

Blockbuster (Around the corner from me) charges £2.50 to repair discs
Gamestation (In town, about 5 minutes away) charges a little more, but they have a huge machine that zaps them clean :lol:

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
By the way, I think that we might have found the U2 RC9, so don't search for it right now :) No guarantees, though, and I can't tell you too much, but the future isn't as bad as it seems :)

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Expensive to send the discs or expensive to repair them?

Sending them might cost a little, but not much. I'd be willing to pay the price :)

Blockbuster (Around the corner from me) charges £2.50 to repair discs
Gamestation (In town, about 5 minutes away) charges a little more, but they have a huge machine that zaps them clean :lol:

Yeah but in the state they are they would be more expensive I guess. But it is worth the try to try to repair them anyway.

Gizzy

The Banhammer Cometh
May 30, 2009
United Kingdom
Yeah but in the state they are they would be more expensive I guess. But it is worth the try to try to repair them anyway.

Some companies may charge extra for more badly damaged discs, but the shops near me in the UK charge a fixed price for all discs, regardless of how badly damaged they are :)

By the way, I think that we might have found the U2 RC9, so don't search for it right now :) No guarantees, though, and I can't tell you too much, but the future isn't as bad as it seems :)

Top quality stuff GreatEmerald! I hope that you have found it since I've brushed up on my U2 history...well, I wiki'd the game :lol:

Still hopes for the U1 betas though...

Last edited:

Auction_Sniper

May 16, 2006
Have been following this thread for quite some time, but I can only hope the best for the CD recovery.... was the damaged disc a CD-R or a factory pressed disc?

Gizzy

The Banhammer Cometh
May 30, 2009
United Kingdom
Have been following this thread for quite some time, but I can only hope the best for the CD recovery.... was the damaged disc a CD-R or a factory pressed disc?

I believe it was a CD-R. Some alphas were contained on Floppy Discs too :p

Sweet avatar btw :p

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I think I can clearly state that this was hoax. I have it pretty much confirmed by trusted sources, because I know the content of the design doc for unreal from 96 and 97 and it pretty much makes this false, no maylia weird name character, no skaarj hybrid, nothing like that.. I'm sorry folks. Instead it reveals that unreal2 was to take place at skaarj homeworld and that you didn't destroy the skaarj mothership but used it to transport you to the Skaarj planet to your surprise. And that's where Unreal 2 was supposed to take place from start.

This guy who claimed to have it was obviously suffering from some ilness and wanted attention, that's all I can say to explain it. Sorry if that sounds harsh but that's how it feels like now. Unless counter proof is presented or something, I declare this officially a hoax.

Last edited:

AlCapowned

Jan 20, 2010
This whole situation is very weird. A lot of the information that the 'source' gave doesn't make sense, but some of it does. I just don't get why somebody would put so much effort into trolling a fairly small community, especially when he/she didn't seem to want any credit.

dinwitty

DeRegistered User
Nov 10, 1999
midwest,USA
www.qtm.net
This is he first time I saw this thread, unless the originator fesses up, the info sounds contrary to what I know, the main character was female (p849) and her name was Sophia if I recall right. I found some storylines years ago on the net but they were on GeoCities and that is now defunct, but maybe it will turn up on the wayback machine, I will try to search it out. Oola, the actress who played Oola in Star Wars had her own website on GeoCities also but when I heard it was going to go bellyup I DLed as much as I could of her site.
I hope she comes back and makes a new one. Anyways, other data in the original post sounded wrong, Unreal was not on Infogrames, it was on GT Interactive, also James Schmaltz is THE game creator of Unreal, its true the game started on paper ideas but thats pretty true of many development phases. But James and EPIC worked practically in the same room crowded with computers banging out Unreal.
You have to recall James made EPIC Pinball. Which makes sense he would make the Adventure Pinball game using the Unreal engine, pretty cool.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
This is he first time I saw this thread, unless the originator fesses up, the info sounds contrary to what I know, the main character was female (p849) and her name was Sophia if I recall right. I found some storylines years ago on the net but they were on GeoCities and that is now defunct, but maybe it will turn up on the wayback machine, I will try to search it out. Oola, the actress who played Oola in Star Wars had her own website on GeoCities also but when I heard it was going to go bellyup I DLed as much as I could of her site.
I hope she comes back and makes a new one. Anyways, other data in the original post sounded wrong, Unreal was not on Infogrames, it was on GT Interactive, also James Schmaltz is THE game creator of Unreal, its true the game started on paper ideas but thats pretty true of many development phases. But James and EPIC worked practically in the same room crowded with computers banging out Unreal.
You have to recall James made EPIC Pinball. Which makes sense he would make the Adventure Pinball game using the Unreal engine, pretty cool.

That's correct, it was Schmalz's idea in first place and he was also a lead level designer originally too.

and alcapowned, that guy actually revealed who he is at oldunreal and posted about it, so it's not that he didn't want the credit. But this all started the asking for the content and stuff and yeah it's pretty weird.

Last edited: