Windows 7 - Yay Or Nay?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Windows 7 - Yay Or Nay?

• Windows 7 -> Yay

Votes: 48 70.6%
  • Windows 7 -> Nay

Votes: 11 16.2%
  • I use other non-Windows operating system

Votes: 9 13.2%

• Total voters

Phoenix_Wing

Official Kantham Stalker
Mar 28, 2008
California
Build 7600 here... hate the damned thing. I installed x64 edition (which i regret so much now) and Linksys has no support (nor does Windows) for x64 wireless card drivers. Had to modify the .inf to get it to install.

Windows Printing still is terrible. It wont discover the network printer. Have to create a Local Port -> TCP/IP (how this is local i dont know) then specify the printers IP for it to connect. The designer of that should be shot.

Unplugging my wireless card causes it to revert back to trying its old x86 drivers which dont work whatsoever.

Monitors were nice. It had OOB support for dual mons even without my card installed.

Aero theme is kinda nice. Annoying after a while, but it looks kinda pretty.

The whole network sharing which they raved about is rather mediocre. Have to have two W7 PCs running to use it, and all it really does it share some crap, which most of the time you never do.

Updates. Frequent but pee me off. Can only set it to 4 hour irritating response time. And if your not there for 10 minutes after the 4 hours are up it auto-restarts, which has caused a ton of work to be lost. You can regedit some values to turn this off, but they should make it so you can explicitly define when it can bug you over them.

ChkDsk. I hate this thing. I have 4 SATA drives in my PC, 2 being Raid1. ChkDsk wants to scan on startup each and every drive. It gets to my Raid ones, and just dies when it finds these so-called errors. It then procedes to restart, and repeat. This can also be turned off, but in registry and other stuff. No way to turn it off in the UI.

UAC i still hate. Now its easier to turn off, but its terrible. Its mainly designed for idiots though who fail with computers so they dont do something stupid, but i wish there was an option during install to state your level.

Overall i would have to give this a 3.7/5. It is an improvement from Vista... but i still prefer my 'Nix distro over it any day.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
The homegroup thing is a huge step up for network sharing. Of course you have to have two Windows 7 machines to use it, no other version of windows has homegroups...

Anyway, all your problems are fine if they affect you. I haven't had any issues :) I'd love to know what Linux distro you are comparing to, or rather, which window manager. I have worse problems on Linux right now than Win 7.

I can't do multiple monitors because the Intel driver won't support it correctly.

My wireless card has a completely unstable driver and so it constantly disconnects from my access point all the time.

I had to type the IP of the printer to set it up in Linux as well. I also had to try three different drivers for the same printer before I found the one that would actually connect to it.

Oh, and it also forces me to fsck my drive every 5 days... WTF?

My point isn't that Linux sucks here, it's that everyone has problems with every OS and it mostly comes down to what you can put up with. Based on your scoring system I would have to give me Linux experience 3.7/5 even though I feel that is utterly wrong :p

Wulff

Bola Gun fun anyone?
May 25, 2004
Netherlands
Homegroup, Workgroup does the same, and is supported by Windows versions other than Windows 7, as well as Linux.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
Workgroups have always been janky for me to get working at home. Maybe other people have better luck but I've never been able to get \\hostname to work on my home network with previous versions. Did not have that problem with the Beta and RC running on my desktop and laptop.

Anyways, finished putting the new computer together around 11:30ish last night, had home premium up and running around midnight, and then another 2 hours of copying data back from my external drive. Currently waiting on Steam to finish downloading my games.

I'm quite happy :)

Bi()ha2arD

Toxic!
Jun 29, 2009
Germany
phobos.qml.net
Workgroups have always been janky for me to get working at home. Maybe other people have better luck but I've never been able to get \\hostname to work on my home network with previous versions. Did not have that problem with the Beta and RC running on my desktop and laptop.

Workgroups work fine. Combination W7 RC + XP Pro + Samba on OpenBSD works without problems, even with \\hostname.

M.A.D.X.W

Aug 24, 2008
windows_7.gif

Phoenix_Wing

Official Kantham Stalker
Mar 28, 2008
California
The homegroup thing is a huge step up for network sharing. Of course you have to have two Windows 7 machines to use it, no other version of windows has homegroups...

Anyway, all your problems are fine if they affect you. I haven't had any issues :) I'd love to know what Linux distro you are comparing to, or rather, which window manager. I have worse problems on Linux right now than Win 7.

I can't do multiple monitors because the Intel driver won't support it correctly.

My wireless card has a completely unstable driver and so it constantly disconnects from my access point all the time.

I had to type the IP of the printer to set it up in Linux as well. I also had to try three different drivers for the same printer before I found the one that would actually connect to it.

Oh, and it also forces me to fsck my drive every 5 days... WTF?

My point isn't that Linux sucks here, it's that everyone has problems with every OS and it mostly comes down to what you can put up with. Based on your scoring system I would have to give me Linux experience 3.7/5 even though I feel that is utterly wrong :p

Im using Mint 7 (Gloria). It had my wireless card OOB support (ndiswrapper already installed with my driver), Printer was easy to setup as it had drivers installed, Dual monitor support was easy as Mint grabbed my drivers for my NVIDIA card, then just edited the XServer config file and added the NVIDIA generated Dual Monitor lines (NVIDIA's control panel for Linux is awesome!)

I've had more issues with other distros, thats why i've stuck with Mint. It has so many preinstalled drivers, and little tools. Plus i love the Synaptic Package Manager linux has so i just stuck with the OS.

Thrash123

Obey Leash Laws
Jul 19, 1999
Nowhere to be found.
www.classicwfl.com
Using build 7100 right now, have been for quite a while. Haven't had any major problems, zero compatibility issues, and love it. I'll be picking up a couple copies of Ultimate over the next 6 months (one for my desktop, one for my laptop).

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Also note that Home Premium doesn't have the virtualized XP support, which may be a dealbreaker (it is for me, which is why I'm going to spring for Ultimate).
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/compare/default.aspx
For most poeple that would only be useful for something like games, but it doesn't virtualize DirectX. Who is still using apps that won't work on modern operating systems? Businesses, probably.
Im using Mint 7 (Gloria). It had my wireless card OOB support (ndiswrapper already installed with my driver), Printer was easy to setup as it had drivers installed, Dual monitor support was easy as Mint grabbed my drivers for my NVIDIA card, then just edited the XServer config file and added the NVIDIA generated Dual Monitor lines (NVIDIA's control panel for Linux is awesome!)

I've had more issues with other distros, thats why i've stuck with Mint. It has so many preinstalled drivers, and little tools. Plus i love the Synaptic Package Manager linux has so i just stuck with the OS.
I've tried Mint. Right now I'm on Kubuntu 9.10 and having the same issues.

The nVidia driver has TwinView which is nVidia's own implementation of multiple monitors. I have an Intel card. I could of course manually edit 100 files (exaggeration) and get it to work, but why? Most Linux-phytes also hate nVidia because their driver is closed and proprietary. :p

The wireless driver is for my Atheros based card. Atheros has a long drawn out history of horrid Linux driver support despite the driver being kernel level and open source. The ndiswrapper implementation isn't easily available as this card doesn't have a de-facto Windows driver, you have to extract the appropriate one from a Windows installation. Plus, using a Windows driver seems adverse to the whole point of Linux.

Anyway, my point was that the problems you mentioned are not unique to Windows. You can have them on any operating system, even Linux. You're obviously biased in one direction, which clearly has affected your opinion in this case.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Windows 95 must have been a real turn on for you.

Windows-95 was Ossom!! a purely utilitarian OS that didn't gobble up your precious CPU cycles and RAM doing stupid things "because it's pretty" :rolleyes:

If it wasen't for the fact that it crashed like a mother, and obviously wont support anything even remotely new, i'd still use it!
Alas, i'll just have to settle for making thease newfangled Windos look and act more like it.

As for Win7? no, not untill i build a new rig at the very least, maybe then if people still find it solid and stable, but my current rig will stay XP.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Yes, I loved how you could close the start button in Windows 95! The epitomy of solid work!

Sorry, but user interfaces and usability have progressed since 1995's blocky, turdy grey look.

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
Sorry, but user interfaces and usability have progressed since 1995's blocky, turdy grey look.

what do you eat to get grey turds?
Are you really sorry?

Also interface and usability can be perfect and grey/blocky simultaneusly... Depends how well it's designed[\I]

which isn't to say "classic" is perfect or win95 is good...
I design various types of software interfaces for a living btw.

I think Aero is nicely designed to appeal to people at face value and I think classic is identical in usability just gains a little efficeincy for losing a lot of aesthetics. If I were Microsoft I wouldve reinvented a third best of both worlds option.

Dynamic wallpapers kicks ass too!