Guitar Hero 5[Guess who is rolling in his grave right now?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Synastren

Explodious!
Jun 22, 2001
KU
Guitar Hero has gone down hill. Guitar Hero 3 was perfect, they had every little problem figured out and the songs didn't get boring too quick. Then they copy Rock Band and it's just boring. The gameplay is all messed up, and it's like they just want to be Rock Band. I end up playing more Rock Band 2 than I do any Guitar Hero now. Expert isn't even that difficult on Rock Band, but it's a hell of a lot better than playing a flawed and boring modern rushed release from Guitar Hero.
Well, I thought GH3 was terrible and not fun. I think I know the reason for this.
After GH2/80s, Activision bought Red Octane (dev), and therefore got the ip, which they then passed to Neversoft (who had only really made Tony Hawk games). Activision has whored out the GH franchise for gobs of money.
Check this out.
  • Guitar Hero 3 - 2007 (late)
  • Guitar Hero: Aerosmith - June 2008
  • Guitar Hero World Tour - October 2008
  • Guitar Hero: Metallica - March 2008
  • Guitar Hero 5 - September 1, 2009
  • Guitar Hero: On Tour - June 2008
  • Guitar Hero: On Tour: Decades
Also due out is GH: Van Halen, GH: Smash Hits (a rehash of GH songs that were released before Activision got their hands on the IP), another iteration of On Tour, Band Hero, and DJ Hero.

FFS, they're publishing at least two titles a year!

I know that Harmonix doesn't have the uberdifficult note charts that the GH series has evolved into having since GH3, but they are at least fun. I think that owes to the fact that Harmonix is composed of a lot of musicians who know what they're talking about. I think that Neversoft has been trying to copy everything that Harmonix has done (ie: they did GH1 & GH2/80s, and then made RB after Activision bought the GH IP out from under them) in an attempt to make money hand over fist. It's irritating.

Oh, and the GH series has been pushing its DLC just as much as the RB series... but I'm interested to see if it will be possible to use the GH DLC between games like the RB series allows.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Well, I thought GH3 was terrible and not fun. I think I know the reason for this.
After GH2/80s, Activision bought Red Octane (dev), and therefore got the ip, which they then passed to Neversoft (who had only really made Tony Hawk games). Activision has whored out the GH franchise for gobs of money.
Check this out.
Harmonix otoh doesn't seem to understand how to sell/market their game.
They basically ignored the rest of the world when RB 2 was released and for some reason neither game is in the 'classics'-list which is rather odd for games that are supposed to have been best-sellers.

And at this time it looks like the Beatles-variant is heading into the same direction as I've seen more GH5-adverts. RB-hardware still is unavailable.

I'd say Rock band vs GuitarHero is like Linux vs MS.
One may have the 'better' product with lots of 'cool' stuff for geeks, but the other simply manages to out-sell (sp?) them to the point that it might as well be a monopoly.

btw : you can't use DLC from the Beatles game in RB-series and vice versa either, so they've pretty much killed the only advantage they might have had.

First DLC for that Beatles-game ... "All you need is love" (160 Credits).
You'd have thought that that song would have been part of the game.

Breadtruck

All's Well That Ends Well
Feb 6, 2005
Maine
Check this out.
  • Guitar Hero 3 - 2007 (late)
  • Guitar Hero: Aerosmith - June 2008
  • Guitar Hero World Tour - October 2008
  • Guitar Hero: Metallica - March 2008
  • Guitar Hero 5 - September 1, 2009
  • Guitar Hero: On Tour - June 2008
  • Guitar Hero: On Tour: Decades
Also due out is GH: Van Halen, GH: Smash Hits (a rehash of GH songs that were released before Activision got their hands on the IP), another iteration of On Tour, Band Hero, and DJ Hero.

I know that Harmonix doesn't have the uberdifficult note charts that the GH series has evolved into having since GH3, but they are at least fun. I think that owes to the fact that Harmonix is composed of a lot of musicians who know what they're talking about. I think that Neversoft has been trying to copy everything that Harmonix has done (ie: they did GH1 & GH2/80s, and then made RB after Activision bought the GH IP out from under them) in an attempt to make money hand over fist. It's irritating.

Oh, and the GH series has been pushing its DLC just as much as the RB series... but I'm interested to see if it will be possible to use the GH DLC between games like the RB series allows.

I honestly do like GH3. Now World Tour and their other creations they've shoved out, no. They've lost all sense. If they took the time to actually improve the games instead of just pushing it out as fast as they can, maybe I would like it. This is why I much rather prefer Rock Band now. The downloadable content is enough to keep me satisfied. I'm waiting to get my hands on the Mayhem Fest pack for Rock Band so I can play some songs from the type of music I listen to regularly ;)