UE1 - UT Coronas not all showing up in game

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Chopin

Aug 23, 2005
So I have a map that uses corona lights. I have bCorona set to True, I have selected one of the flares from GenFX as a skin, I have brightness turned to 0, and a light radius of 255, a small draw scale of .0625, the whole works. I believe I did it correctly.

However at any given point in the map most (sometimes all) of the flares do not display at all, and I often have to fly to that part of the map really close to them to get them to show up. Sometimes if I fly higher than the flare it will display but as soon as I dip down below it it will not display anymore.

Here is a screen of the problem:

shot0089h.jpg

I have corona lights in front of all of the stadium lights there but as you can see only some of them are showing up. If I fly somewhere else in the map those will dissappear and others will show up.

I need to make it so all of the coronas display all the time, regardless the player's location or distance from them. How do I fix this?

Thanks

War_Master

May 27, 2005
I bet that map is a big fps killer. I see there's way too many coronas placed and doubt the engine can handle that. Have you tried removing about 70% of them to see if they all show?

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
I'm pretty sure there's a hard limit on the number of coronas allowed in view at a time. Maybe you can use volumetric lighting instead to achieve a similar effect, though that probably requires some kind of fog.

Chopin

Aug 23, 2005
The framerate is just fine I generally get between 60-80 fps at any given time with everything turned up to the max.

I don't think the number of coronas its the issue because sometimes none of them show. But i'll try removing a bunch and see if that helps.

Chopin

Aug 23, 2005
Okay, I just put that theory to the test and it has nothing to do with the number of coronas - even if I reduce the count to only 2 in the map it still does this. If I place one on one end of the stadium and one on the other and fly around either one or none will show up at any given time. Any other ideas on how to fix this? I tried setting bAlwaysRelevant and bGameRelevant to true but those didn't do it either.

War_Master

May 27, 2005
Sometimes bsp cuts cause some weird glitches. Try rebuilding the bsp and zones with different values specially because this engine always messes up round shapes and seen it even in default maps.

Chopin

Aug 23, 2005
Well i'm redoing the lights anyway, putting them on top of the stadium instead, so we'll see what happens with that, maybe by then the ued gods will look upon my with favor...

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
I'm pretty sure there's a hard limit on the number of coronas allowed in view at a time. Maybe you can use volumetric lighting instead to achieve a similar effect, though that probably requires some kind of fog.

Either that or the coronas are being clipped off past a certain distance. It would be a similar effect to what you get on certain big maps on the first Unreal where mountain sides are clipped, revealing the skybox behind.

Last edited:

Chopin

Aug 23, 2005
W00t

shot0091a.jpg

"there's a hard limit on the number of coronas"
"you cant see them past a certain distance"
"that map is a big fps killer"...

18.5 ms per frame = 54 frames/sec
that's with 540 coronas displayed at once

noobs

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de

Was that really necessary? Be careful with stuff like this, people might remember and stop helping you.
Nobody said anything about a definite limit on the number or a definite framerate hit. We were speculating, and we even wrote it that way ("I bet...", "I'm pretty sure..."), so no reason to insult those who were trying to point out possible problems.

Chopin

Aug 23, 2005
Well you understand it that way now. At any rate you need to relax, all I said was "noobs" you don't need to lecture me for a whole paragraph.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
You didn't give the solution ! Why do you think humanity hasn't reached interstellar travel ? It's because we keep reinventing the wheel :mad:.

(jk but you get the idea ;) )

P.S: All sniper map ?

all I said was "noobs" you don't need to lecture me for a whole paragraph.

Noobs is to newbie what "bloody stupid peasants" is to poor people.

Last edited:

War_Master

May 27, 2005
I vote for a perma ban, this guy comes asking for help and always ends up insulting the ones that helped him. That was one of the reasons I didnt want to help him out in the first place and always makes some senseless mistakes that noone else does and comes asking for help here. :rolleyes: Now, whos the noob there if you ask me... because none of us would have made that mistake in the first place when you did.

Chopin

Aug 23, 2005
I vote for a perma ban, this guy comes asking for help and always ends up insulting the ones that helped him. That was one of the reasons I didnt want to help him out in the first place and always makes some senseless mistakes that noone else does and comes asking for help here. :rolleyes: Now, whos the noob there if you ask me... because none of us would have made that mistake in the first place when you did.

Okay, you see if you can do the same thing correctly then, since you're so confident you would be able to do it right the first time. Make a cylinder of radius 16384 and height 8192 and line the outside with 540 coronas and make them all display at once and then post a screenshot.

TurdDrive said:
HAHA

Noobs

who was the one with the problem in the first place?

Same with you

Last edited by a moderator:

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Someone is asking for another RO off-time?

Please people, chill down. Stupid things and misunderstandings happen all the time on the internet. It's learning from these mistakes that counts. SilentKoala (hopefully) learned that different people have different conceptions about what is funny. Rule of thumb: Don't throw around potential insults if you don't mean it that way, unless you really know the audience and your audience knows you.