Batman: Arkham Asylum Demo This Week

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Eidos today have announced that the demo for the upcoming UE3-powered Batman: Arkham Asylum will be out worldwide on August 7th on PC, PS3, and Xbox 360.

The download, which kicks off as Batman delivers The Joker to Arkham Asylum, is said to sample the "Invisible Predator" stealth and "FreeFlow combat" mechanics, as well as provide a glimpse of the "infamous foes" players will face off against in the full version.

The full game is out August 25th.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
I've steadily become less and less excited about this game until it reached a point where to me, it now looks like a pretty generic affair on par with Wolverine, Bionic Commando and The Watchmen TEIN. Linear 3rd person beat 'em up.
In fact that whole genre as a whole feels pretty stale to me.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
What dub said reminds me of the descending spiral of Damnation... and it was true. I have hopes for this game though.

Brits_Hit

Flak Monkey
Aug 1, 2003
Toronto, Canada
dynamic5.gamespy.com
I've steadily become less and less excited about this game until it reached a point where to me, it now looks like a pretty generic affair on par with Wolverine, Bionic Commando and The Watchmen TEIN. Linear 3rd person beat 'em up.
In fact that whole genre as a whole feels pretty stale to me.

I actually thought Wolverine was great, but that's just me.

This looks a little more in-depth than Wolverine and combat looks very satisfying.
Anyway, we'll find out how it plays soon enough.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
I wonder if MS is going to lock this demo for non-gold members ... (seems standard these days :()

Oh well ... if the IL2-demo is any good I'll have something to play until the bat-demo unlocks.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
I actually thought Wolverine was great, but that's just me.

The major issues I had with the game were that it was extreemly linear. Some of the invisible walls are just ridiculous.
Secondly the above mentioned games got repetitive real quick for me. After a while it just felt like the same old quick-time routines over and over again.
Wolverine wasn't bad and had some good bits, but for me it was a 'play once-forget forever' game.

For Batman I've heard a bunch of comments off people who played a demo and what I seemed to hear a lot is "single button - button mashing" and "the stealth element isn't really what it was made out to be".
Also from the videos of those demos it looks pretty similar to Watchmen and even more so; Wolverine. (The batvision thingy mode looks fairly similar to Wolverine's Feral sense)
[had to seeearch for this one, but for example check the impressions at the start of this IW episode]

Still there's no real way of knowing what the game will be like until we play it, but it doesn't look promising from where I'm standing.
On the other hand, there will be a demo :tup: so I'll make up my mind based on that. Got to be glad to have that option nowadays...

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
No way they will make it free. Not in 2 months or something. :rolleyes:

ooh ... replacing the S with the $ ... clever :rolleyes:
MS is just desperate because they know that gold doesn't add any value except through artificial barriers like 'early access' to demos and 'discounts' to some of their DLC.

I just wonder when they're going to start charging pc-users for Live! again ...

It's more like 2 weeks ;)
// ---