Rate the Last Movie You Watched

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
I thought the ending was refreshing. My only real complaint with the movie is that you don't really feel the gravity of his character's sudden loss of hope.

Up until the he sees his wife dead in the window, he's the strong group leader who is trying to get people out of the mist. The movie doesn't really give us time to appreciate the moment where his wife is dead and he snaps. That, and the CGI monsters really sapped a lot of the dread the mist itself played in the movie. The meat of the movie is Thomas Jane and friends VS the nutbars in the super market. The mist stopped beng scary the first time I saw that first digital tentacle.

Despite this, I enjoyed it. Cliches and all.

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
Well he did write the mist, so I think his opinion carries some weight.
Right. And I think Steven Spielberg truly believes that each of his movies have spectacular, transcendent endings as well.
My only point was that the success of a films conclusion is entirely up to the viewer.

If the ending was fulfilling and satisfied my interests, then it was great. On the other hand, if I can pick it full of holes and it annoys me, then it's crap; regardless of who is plugging it or how they try and explain it.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
You only live twice 6/10

Solid middle-ranking (lower middle) Bond.

In these days where a green screen permits any size of dramatic set and where large interior sets have become a cliché, it is hard to understand just how amazing Ken Adam's sets were - plus points for spectacle.

The Myth 5/10

Actually OK Jackie Chan vehicle caught between trying to be Indiana Jones, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and a Jet Li historical epic and failing to be any of those as a result.

Often pretty and frequently lavish, this is a good looking movie that is marred by very poor continuity, lazy technical defects that should have been fixed in post-production and a poorly considered narrative structure.

The good points? Jackie Chan is as personable as ever, some of the action is very good (I liked the RotLA truck scene done with a wagon running along the edge of a cliff.) Some good battle scenes and generally a good look to the movie.

All said and done, probably only for JC completists.

Death Race 5/10

Fatally hampered by the three races over three days structure, so only the last race matters, this is still a watchable although ultimately tiring set of car smashes.

X-Men 6.5/10

Too short to allow the large cast to be properly introduced, this is still enjoyable enough with some decent action scenes.

Mr. UglyPants

2007 never existed, it was all a dream.
Aug 22, 2005
Canada... eh
Angels & Demons: 7/10; i have to say the movie kind of sucked. It was too linear and any plot twists were all linear too, it was alright, not amazing, not bad just alright.

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
Yeah that's it, Clichée. "Try turning the night vision on" moment.
Maybe I'm already too old :)p) for suspense scenes like these, but living them for real would be entirely another story. Entirely given.
I EDC a flashlight and every time I watch such a scene a small part of me goes HA HA in a Nelson voice.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
Futurama: Into the Wild Green Yonder- 8/10

Stands up well to a third viewing. Although there is no indication there is going to be another Futurama film, I certainly hope this is not the last one.

dotnetbeast

Mood Muzik
Feb 14, 2006
Washington D.C.
N.W.A.: The Worlds Most Dangerous Group - 9/10

Great documentary. Makes Suge Knight look like a douche. Because he is.

I know I might get flack for saying this, but Eazy-E's wife is hot.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
doom0042dz5.png

How dare you say such things.

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
X-Men: The Last Stand 7/10

In some ways this is the most interesting of the three, the questions about difference, power and responsibility are much more central to the plot and characters. Of course, being a summer blockbuster, one would not expect it to give the difficult answers - all the more surprising that despite some cop-out at the end, there are some hard answers and some of the characters do experience growth.

The action is just fine but the character and plot development does sap some of the narrative drive and so it is less of a roller coaster ride than the previous installment.

glow_trance

Dec 6, 2008
The Last Stand seemed kind of rushed or maybe even a little slopped together, but I guess you do what you have to in order to squeeze it into a trilogy

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
Star Trek 6/10

I believe my children would say, "Meh."

Some great space battles but many scenes were undermined by a certain flabbiness, they simply overstay their welcome and undermined the tension.

They opening scenes are a good case in point. It is interesting
to compare with the somewhat similar opening to The Abyss.

The plot somewhat
redoes The Motion Picture
and would have benefited from more time and effort being spent on originality.

Don't get me wrong, there is much to enjoy in this movie but it underachieves.

This movie probably has the most annoyingly loud spaceships in a vacuum that I've heard in a long while. :)

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Flight of the dead: 5/10 Stupid zombie movie. Predictable and corny.

Only thing I found remotely interesting and "enjoyable" was the "death pit" in the middle of the floor, zombies crawling out like some spiders do to catch their prey

Deep rising: 7/10

Funny horror. A monster from the bowels of the sea cradle rises up and attacks a cruiseship. A group of pirates (and their "drivers") really took the wrong moment to board the ship. I used to dislike this movie, but now I find it rather enjoyable. Still very predictable, but for once it didn't really bother me.

Escape from alcatraz: Solid/10

No matter how many times I watch this movie, I'll never get bored. It's just the whole mood, the strong acting and suspense. In my book it's a classic. And once again, fitting music is used at the right times.

Last edited:

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
The Abyss SE 8.5/10

Outstanding action movie with the added bonus that the overpaid actors aren't acting - they really are that cold and wet. :)

Points deducted for an excessively sentimental ending but otherwise it's great drama, characters, amazing sets and underwater photography. Although groundbreaking at the the time, some of the CGI now looks a little frayed around the endings but is still perfectly serviceable.

das_ben

Concerned.
Feb 11, 2000
Teutonia
Shaun of the Dead. The movie's good, but not nearly as funny and especially not clever as everyone makes it out to be. It had me snickering in a few scenes, but a lot of the humour also left me completely cold. Bonus points for notable performances by Bill Nighy and Penelope Wilton - pleasantly standing out from the rest of the alright cast. 7/10

Lions for Lambs. A truly poor movie, back from the high times of political discord in the US. The script is so blunt it pretty much deserves to be called propagandistic and both Meryl Streep as the "liberal journalist gone wrong but going back to her ideals" and Robert Redford as the "liberal professor trying to better the world by encouraging his students" are clearly enjoying their roles way too much. The only aspect of the film I found to be interesting was the simultaneity of the three related storylines. 4/10

Une Femme Mariée. Somewhat tiring - I'm not a big fan of the prolonged monologues and documentary interviews. 6/10

Bonnie & Clyde. Simply great - on all accounts: acting, photography, direction, the script. Bringing over-the-top violence to American cinema, as well as glorifying crime on a scale unprecedented in Hollywood, Penn in this movie sets the mood for following filmmakers. 10/10