UT3 Rockets Up Steam Sales Charts

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Kotaku has posted the latest PC sales charts that shows Steam sales through March 9. Unreal Tournament 3 comes in at an impressive number three, just behind the recently released Empire: Total War and the very cheap and lovable World of Goo.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
Darkpulse is wrong... erm.. hal is wrong

The steam chart isn't part of NPD data. The whole problem with NPD is that it doesn't include sale info from online retailers like Steam and Direct2Drive.

Sk.7

Jan 31, 2008
Ah let's hope that the Titan Pack did this (ah VCTF-Rails <3) :)

Now all we need is a UT3 Gold Edition release that will have a Tournament single player in it :D

{Ogre}Spin

Apr 24, 2002
Visit site
Indeed, NPD numbers show that 8 out 10 top titles are sims or WoW with their addon packs..sad indictment of retail shelf space.

D2D and Steam sales represent much more realistic numbers, it also demonstrates REALLY well what a free weekend and promotional price reduction can do through Steam, considering ut3 didn't chart top 10 on D2D sales (meaning that without the steam promotion pretty much no-one was buying UT3 at this stage in it's life cycle...surely even Jafo can see the benefit there;))

Really pleased to see full servers, plenty of matches, sales push on an older title and the big ass content pack. Frankly UT is getting better marketing right now than ever in it's past (at least in my eyes)

Poker

Anus Retentus
Apr 17, 2006
Does that include the freebie weekend? I'd have to guess it does.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
Didn't "they" rectify that this year though?
I thought there was talk about including areas of digital download into the NPD sales chart after they had issues 2008 with their PC sales figures being indicative of actual sales.
(ie. NPD said that the sales figures they had last year for PC games sales should be roughly doubled to get more of an accurate sales figure)

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Darkpulse is wrong... erm.. hal is wrong

The steam chart isn't part of NPD data. The whole problem with NPD is that it doesn't include sale info from online retailers like Steam and Direct2Drive.

Troo.

They are sepperate lists (and it says as much, "NPD and the latest Steam and D2D charts") because NPD does not count online Distro sales, actually, i belive NPD only counts physicall "over the counter sales" in stores, which means they aren't counting physical copies sold online via Amazon and the like either (correct me if i'm wrong).

This is why NPD charts are useless, but that's going a bit off topic..

virgo47

Waiting for next UT
Jul 5, 2005
Bratislava, Slovakia
members.clanci.net
For 12 bucks on Steam (at least here in EUR) it's a SIN no to buy it. ;-) Not that I tried everything from black edition (acutally I only tried few mins Greed online and Betrayal offline) but UT3 is definitely worth it.

Thanks to Steam for proper propagation as well.

MeepZero

ph34r t3h m33p
Feb 4, 2003
Ohayo
Visit site
Out of curiosity, has this reflected positively on the number of people playing the game? Are there noticeably more active servers now?

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Out of curiosity, has this reflected positively on the number of people playing the game? Are there noticeably more active servers now?

I haven't kept an eye on it, but lets have a look at gamespy stats..

Right now it says "696 servers, 580 players" for UT3, and that on a Tuesday afternoon European time, i'd say thats a small improvement, it'd usually be sub 500 people at this time before the patch, but it's hardly earth shattering stuff.

Wowbagger

Curing the infection...
May 20, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
I have had a look at the stats for quite some time during primetime and the playernumbers have been around 500 for quite some time now.

During the Free weekend it doubled with an all time high on Sunday with 1670 players. ( i assume more people had managed to actually download the game at that time)

After the Free weekend (Monday night) it went down to 1000 players.

I have no idea if those extra 500 players are new customers or old ones returning for the Titan Pack though.

This is not a professional investigation, just me having a look at the Gamespy Stats during primetime in Europe.

Personally ive noticed that our server has filled up nicely during primetime recently :)

Last edited:

StreetPreacher

Mar 10, 2001
Wow - it's the #1 seller on Steam at the time of this posting! Well done Epic. I never thought I'd see the day.

[NBK]Rattman

Goo God
Feb 22, 2005
nbkillas.com
The only problem with the steam release was that i think they were ill prepared for how many people were gonna download this game...

I had at least 4 members of my clan(that's 4 potential new players) buy it through steam and spent at minimum 2 days downloading the game cause the downloads were so slow

We have been playing it a lot the last couple days and the server has been filling up pretty quickly

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com

YES.

it made a big difference on both of my servers and it seems to be carrying over after the weekend too. also found that there were alot more active servrs after the weekend and last night at 1or 2am EST the Epic ctf server had like 15+ players where usually itd be less than 10.

Wow - it's the #1 seller on Steam at the time of this posting! Well done Epic. I never thought I'd see the day.

:)

Last edited: