1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UT3 Rockets Up Steam Sales Charts

Discussion in 'News & Articles' started by hal, Mar 9, 2009.

1. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

Kotaku has posted the latest PC sales charts that shows Steam sales through March 9. Unreal Tournament 3 comes in at an impressive number three, just behind the recently released Empire: Total War and the very cheap and lovable World of Goo.

2. elmuerte

elmuerte Master of Science

Darkpulse is wrong... erm.. hal is wrong

The steam chart isn't part of NPD data. The whole problem with NPD is that it doesn't include sale info from online retailers like Steam and Direct2Drive.

3. Cr4zyB4st4rd

Cr4zyB4st4rd I make awesome ©

The Sims, 4 times o_O

Nice to see UT3 jump though

4. Sk.7

Sk.7 New Member

Ah let's hope that the Titan Pack did this (ah VCTF-Rails <3) :)

Now all we need is a UT3 Gold Edition release that will have a Tournament single player in it :D

5. {Ogre}Spin

{Ogre}Spin New Member

Indeed, NPD numbers show that 8 out 10 top titles are sims or WoW with their addon packs..sad indictment of retail shelf space.

D2D and Steam sales represent much more realistic numbers, it also demonstrates REALLY well what a free weekend and promotional price reduction can do through Steam, considering ut3 didn't chart top 10 on D2D sales (meaning that without the steam promotion pretty much no-one was buying UT3 at this stage in it's life cycle...surely even Jafo can see the benefit there;))

Really pleased to see full servers, plenty of matches, sales push on an older title and the big ass content pack. Frankly UT is getting better marketing right now than ever in it's past (at least in my eyes)

6. Poker

Poker Anus Retentus

Does that include the freebie weekend? I'd have to guess it does.

7. dub

dub

Didn't "they" rectify that this year though?
    I thought there was talk about including areas of digital download into the NPD sales chart after they had issues 2008 with their PC sales figures being indicative of actual sales.
    (ie. NPD said that the sales figures they had last year for PC games sales should be roughly doubled to get more of an accurate sales figure)

8. Grobut

Grobut Комиссар Гробут

Troo.

They are sepperate lists (and it says as much, "NPD and the latest Steam and D2D charts") because NPD does not count online Distro sales, actually, i belive NPD only counts physicall "over the counter sales" in stores, which means they aren't counting physical copies sold online via Amazon and the like either (correct me if i'm wrong).

This is why NPD charts are useless, but that's going a bit off topic..

9. virgo47

virgo47 Waiting for next UT

For 12 bucks on Steam (at least here in EUR) it's a SIN no to buy it. ;-) Not that I tried everything from black edition (acutally I only tried few mins Greed online and Betrayal offline) but UT3 is definitely worth it.

Thanks to Steam for proper propagation as well.

10. Cox

Cox New Member

Wow, UT3 is currently first on Steam! Top seller. Yeeej! ;)

11. hal

hal Dictator Staff Member

Poorly worded on my part. Fixed.

12. TheIronKnuckle

TheIronKnuckle What the hell is this "ballin" thing?

it's good to know that unreal is getting back the exposure it deserves. I stil hate steam, but it's the way of the future and its proven its worth with such statistics.

13. Cryton

Cryton Loafing Bast

Any actual figures of how many units were sold?

14. MeepZero

MeepZero ph34r t3h m33p

Out of curiosity, has this reflected positively on the number of people playing the game? Are there noticeably more active servers now?

15. Bersy

Bersy New Member

Yeah, it's actually above 1000 most of the time now.

16. Grobut

Grobut Комиссар Гробут

I haven't kept an eye on it, but lets have a look at gamespy stats..

Right now it says "696 servers, 580 players" for UT3, and that on a Tuesday afternoon European time, i'd say thats a small improvement, it'd usually be sub 500 people at this time before the patch, but it's hardly earth shattering stuff.

17. Wowbagger

Wowbagger Curing the infection...

I have had a look at the stats for quite some time during primetime and the playernumbers have been around 500 for quite some time now.

During the Free weekend it doubled with an all time high on Sunday with 1670 players. ( i assume more people had managed to actually download the game at that time)

After the Free weekend (Monday night) it went down to 1000 players.

I have no idea if those extra 500 players are new customers or old ones returning for the Titan Pack though.

This is not a professional investigation, just me having a look at the Gamespy Stats during primetime in Europe.

Personally ive noticed that our server has filled up nicely during primetime recently :)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  18. StreetPreacher

StreetPreacher New Member

Wow - it's the #1 seller on Steam at the time of this posting! Well done Epic. I never thought I'd see the day.

19. [NBK]Rattman

[NBK]Rattman Goo God

The only problem with the steam release was that i think they were ill prepared for how many people were gonna download this game...

I had at least 4 members of my clan(that's 4 potential new players) buy it through steam and spent at minimum 2 days downloading the game cause the downloads were so slow

We have been playing it a lot the last couple days and the server has been filling up pretty quickly

20. UnrealGrrl

UnrealGrrl Enemy flag carrier is Her!

YES.

it made a big difference on both of my servers and it seems to be carrying over after the weekend too. also found that there were alot more active servrs after the weekend and last night at 1or 2am EST the Epic ctf server had like 15+ players where usually itd be less than 10.

:)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2009