Fallout 3 Release 28th October

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I accidentally got Lucas killed.... guess I'm reloading back to the vault :p

Also, do you ever get a car or anything? Running around is FREAKING SLOW!!!!

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
I actually got Lucas Simms killed as well...

L2 Quicksave Brizz!

You do get to fast travel Oblivion style, but otherwise you're stuck hoofing it as far as I can tell.

So yeah, I'm having fun with this game (although my Vista laptop sucks at running it :(). The combat system isn't that great, yes, but it's not irritating--there is some sense of strategy with V.A.T.S. I fell I'm playing more of the RPG than the FPS. This is a good thing.

I can't say whether or not the game is a worthy addition to the Fallout series, and I won't deny how similar this game is to Oblivion, but it's a hell of a lot better than Bethsheda's previous title.

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
I don't really find it very similar to Oblivion. The combat feels like something else entirely. Especially because you want to use VATS most of the time.

Yes, the animation isn't that great and the faces aren't up to "Mass Effect" for example, but that's a minor consideration here. The world and the atmosphere is really awesome. And I'm having tons of fun just walking around and exploring.

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
game ****ing owns

its not the be all end all of rpgs, and certainly isnt game of the year or even rpg of the year but its still hella fun to play and way better than I expected

ilkman

Mar 1, 2001
East coast
The game is enjoyable so far but has some problems.

The biggest problems are with ammo, and how tough some guys are to kill.

I may find a decent amount of ammo in one place but I'll end up having to use it most of it on just a few guys. This is due to how tough some are to kill and how often some guns miss. How high does a certain weapon skill have to be before it won't take a lot of ammo to kill someone? I find myself carrying around multiple weapons just to take advantage of all the different types of ammo I find. And even still that strategy doesn't always work.

I use VATS as often as possible too.

I've been finding shotgun ammo for a while now but have yet to see a single shotgun anywhere.

Other issues are with wasteland mob agro range. If that little red blip is on the waypoint direction finder then chances are that mob knows you're there and is already chasing you no matter what you do to avoid it. This plays into the whole ammo shortage as well. Radscorpions and other wilderness mobs are insanely tough. I'm not using the 10mm pistol either. I'm using anything and everything I've come across; hunting rifle, Chinese rifle, assault rifle, mines, grenades, etc.

So far I've made do, but I fear as the mobs get tougher I'll end up with even more ammo problems. I guess it pays to go melee in this game.

Lastly, a good deal of the ammo I do find is in shops to buy, or you have to steal it from friendly factions thus affecting your karma.

What made it easier in Fallout1 and 2 was the random encounters when traversing the wasteland. You kill the mobs and scrounge their ammo. Because of this I never had ammo problems in F1-2. As a matter of fact I ended up having an ammo surplus and had to sell a bunch to keep my weight down.

I don't think there should be a ton of ammo to find. Its a wasteland and it should be scarce, but it wouldn't hurt to put a little more in. As it stands right now I never have more than 20-30 rounds for my 10mm, never more than 10 for my .32, never more than 10 for my hunting rifle, I've been lucky with the assault rifle and have around 80 but it gets used like crazy cause the thing is inaccurate, around 30 rounds for my laser pistol except I'm not specced for energy weapons, less than 20 for a sniper rifle I found, etc etc etc.

I guess I'll tone down the difficulty to see if that helps.

Last edited:

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
Ammo management is a bit tricky, but it's not too hard. If you explore locations like subway systems (in the city), factories or other raider lairs you'll come across many stashes. And usually without expending more than you find. There were occasions when exhausted my main weapons, but I haven't used melee weapons so far, except against radroaches and the like.

Against super-mutants the hunting rifle is cool at long range, because they also carry them, which generally results in an ammo surplus. I usually have around 100 rounds of that.

The 10mm submachine gun is great indoors and the ammo is plenty most of the time.

I just came across a factory full of enemies using assault rifles. And there were lots of ammo boxes around. So I came out with slightly over 300 rounds. Unfortunately I expended that on a largely futile treck around the city, trying to get into the center.

There is tons of laser pistol ammo around as well, though I don't use it that much. It's good against Mirelurks though.

Ammo that is rare in my experience is the sniper rifle one and .44 Magnum.

The problem might be that you walk around the wasteland exclusively. Try venturing into the outskirts of DC. There are some tough enemies there, but also opportunities to score nice loot.

Last edited:

Majik

blargh
Jun 24, 2004
Denmark
I'm around 14 hours in now, level 8. I was faced with the same dilemma at the beginning, but now that I've raided a few buildings and a couple of subway lines, I've got plenty of ammo for most of my weapons now (150-250 usually).

I think the kind of ammo and weapons you're likely to find heavily depends on which area you're scavenging in. I've found at least 7-8 shotguns by now, but not a lot of ammo and to begin with I couldn't find any ammo for my laser pistol at all and all of a sudden it was commonly found in the area I was scavenging. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the amount and chance of finding ammo increases as you level up. If not, at least there's the Scrounger perk at level 8.

Combat also seems a fair bit easier now that I'm better at repairing weapons (a skill I grossly underrated when I created my character) and have the Gunslinger perk (raises accuracy while using pistols in VATS, which is good for sneak attacks from a distance). It also helps that I've got 7 in perception and stealth as a tag skill, making it easier not to aggro nearby enemies.

anaemic

she touch your penis?
Jan 7, 2002
london, uk
ive taken to carrying one gun for every type of ammo i can lay my hands on, the ammo itself seems to be weightless.
it is killing my ability to carry lots of loot but no ones ever rich enough to buy my swag off me anyway. theyll charge me 1000 caps to repair my guns to 25% but they only have about 200 themselves to trade with, which is stupidly small, considering to rent a bed for a night is 120 (even an empty bed in rivet city)

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
I'm having trouble somewhat with ammo as well, although not entirely. It seems that dungeons provide just enough to get by.

I would call the game 30% Oblivion 40% Morrowind and 30% other game that I have never played (i.e. Fallout). I say Morrowind because of the spikier difficulty, which has a much more believable curve than that scale-fest Oblivion.

What quests are people doing?

I tried going to Arefu, a town that is the objective of a quest from Megaton, and found that quest line to be BRUTAL. Supermutants and Radscorpions and Mirelurks at level 2-4?! Then on a new game I went to the Super-Duper Mart for the Survival Book quests, found it to be much easier. Afterwards I tried the Those! quest where I kill a bunch of fire ants (that breath fire), to find it to be a real challenge. After 1 missile, a dozen frag grenades, another dozen landmines, a couple hundred bullets from several guns, a lot of pain, and a lot of dead ants I finally got through the damn thing. I'm wondering if the main questline will turn out to be the easiest thing to do in the game or the hardest.

Also Niam Leeson voice-acting as the father is pretty damn awesome.

Wulff

Bola Gun fun anyone?
May 25, 2004
Netherlands

I tried going to Arefu, a town that is the objective of a quest from Megaton, and found that quest line to be BRUTAL. Supermutants and Radscorpions and Mirelurks at level 2-4?! Then on a new game I went to the Super-Duper Mart for the Survival Book quests, found it to be much easier. Afterwards I tried the Those! quest where I kill a bunch of fire ants (that breath fire), to find it to be a real challenge. After 1 missile, a dozen frag grenades, another dozen landmines, a couple hundred bullets from several guns, a lot of pain, and a lot of dead ants I finally got through the damn thing. I'm wondering if the main questline will turn out to be the easiest thing to do in the game or the hardest.

Tried Arefu too, but then I read super mutants, and went the other way. Still haven't finished the Those! quest, boy needs a new house. :\ Did find plenty of ammo upon existing the subway, brotherhood loner versus bunch of super mutants, got some XP from it. I need more stim packs, after that. On the main quest, I did hack the terminal to gain information about dad, then convinced that woman to give me the caps.

Majik

blargh
Jun 24, 2004
Denmark

I've been through those as well.

I didn't encounter any Super Mutants or Radscorpions during the Bloodlines quest (I think I was at the same level as you), but the Mirelurks near the lake beneath Arefu where a real pain in the ass. I kept my distance from the lakes after that.

I honestly didn't think the fire ants were that hard, especially not if you exploited their weakness by shooting their antennas causing them to frenzy and kill each other. That trick saved me a ton of ammo during that quest. Still need to find a home for the kid.

I stumbled upon a battle in progress at a metro station. A couple of Brotherhood of Steel paladins against a horde of Super Mutants. Not particularly hard initially since the mutants were concentrating on the Paladins and could easily be picked off with sneak attacks. Afterwards I agreed to save their friend or trainee from a building (not an actual quest)...another horde of Super Mutants outside and a few inside.

Fxed the pipe leakages in Megaton, decided to defuse the bomb and got my own place. Now I'm at a town called Big Town, about to help them out with some attacks.

Last edited:

ilkman

Mar 1, 2001
East coast
I ventured towards DC in an attempt to reach Rivet city and talk to the aunt of the kid from the 'those' quest and finish it off. On my way I encountered more raiders, some super mutants and a few other things. Now, while my ammo isn't super high, its doing a lot better than before. I found a laser rifle which I had previously found ammo for. I found a sawed off shotgun, a minigun with ammo, some rounds for my sniper rifle, and a bunch more ammo for my hunting rifle. I'm happy now.

I'm only lvl 7 right now. My perception is really good. I think its at 8, whereas I started at 7. I figured out how to repair my guns and have been doing that on my own. My repair skill is around 45 currently. I haven't put too much into sneak but have been trying to balance science for hacking, lockpick for opening things ( a surprising amount of containers are locked), medicine for stimpacks and rad removal, and small guns for now until I get more ammo for heavy guns. I started out with more in heavy guns.

I decided to save megaton and I got my own place. I was pleasantly surprised to discover a podium to place/store all the bobble head figures that can be found. So far I've found 4. One in the sheriffs house in Megaton, one in the house of the old guy defending Arefu, one in Vault 106, and one before you leave vault 101 on your dads work desk. Each bobble head permanently increases a skill by a certain amount.

I went ahead and created a Live profile to keep track of any achievements in the game but nothing has come up. Are there even achievements for the PC version? While I won't dislike the game any more or less if there are none, I'd certainly be disappointed.

Edit: I guess there are no achievements for the PC. I saw the list for xbox360 and a few of those I should have received but got no notice of it. Oh well.

Oh, P.S. I love using VATS. See the attached images.

Attachments

• ScreenShot0.JPG
    ScreenShot0.JPG
    184.1 KB · Views: 42
  • ScreenShot2.JPG
    ScreenShot2.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

ilkman

Mar 1, 2001
East coast
There sure are. Here's the few I've managed to get:

http://live.xbox.com/en-US/profile/...etails.aspx?compareTo=Lord Brizz&tid= ]:cn*i7

I'm not sure if you need to have it turned on from the outset though.

That site looks like its for xBox. Do you have that or the PC version? Does the xBox one track the PC version too?

The whole process of creating a Live account was so convoluted. I looked it up online and it said to open an account from the game main menu by pressing 'Home'. I did that.

Then it asked me to create a profile name, so I did. Then that was that. So did I create a profile? I don't know. I then went to check out signing into a Live account. I didn't have one so I made one, at least I thought I did. I put in an email, password (once, it didn't ask for a second confirm one), and then it asked me for another profile name. I put in the same one. Then...nothing. It signs on my profile name, but I never received any email from live, or confirmation of account creation. I don't know what I did. But even still, it won't track my achievements. Unless I am looking in the wrong spot?

If anyone can help clear up how to make a Live account so I can track my achievements that would be super great.

Last edited:

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
This game owns. I am thoroughly addicted to it. My character is very melee based, I've nearly maxed out that skill and a lot of the time in V.A.T.S. I will one-shot enemies. Here's my dude enjoying his latest kill!

[screenshot]http://www.cschammel.com/img/fallout3_shot1.jpg[/screenshot]

Also, I have a ****ing flaming sword now and I can't begin to explain how much that ****ing owns. Seriously. Holy ****.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2004
I saw the motorbikes and was like "aw, a motorbike would so rock in this game" No vehicles is lame, i'm sure some people know how to build vehicles or had some stashed away before the war...walking is a PAIN! especially when you are needing to travel so bloody far, now THAT'S where a motorbike comes in handy. They are living in the wastelands so a fuel of waste would be nice as everywhere there is fuel. I'm sure someone will make a mod where you can drive a car, or ride a motorbike. I hardly use VATS, my guy is messed i guess cuz it does next to no damage. I'll probably restart it when i finish the game, which i assume will be soon as i just reached the citadel.

25 hrs in level 12.