Aiming oddities/bugs

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

haarg

PC blowticious
Apr 24, 2002
Over there
While playing on the FragBU server a couple weeks ago, we noticed and tracked down some oddities with aiming in UT3.
  1. When walking up a slope your view gets offset downward. However, the point your guns fire from does not. This means that your crosshair is slightly lower than where your weapons will actually hit.
  2. The same thing happens when walking down a slope, but with your view offset upward.
  3. When the redeemer explodes but does not kill you or knock you down, it will shake your screen. After the shaking stops, it puts your view back to what appears to be normal. However, for about one second after that, your view and crosshair are offset slightly from where your weapons fire.
  4. UT3 has landing view shake like UT2004, except the position your weapons fire from are not effected by it. This means that with landing view shake on (the default), the position your weapons fire from does not match your view and crosshair when landing. This is the opposite of UT2004.
Thought it would be good to make people aware.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
1 - 3 I showed to you guys because no one knew what I was talking about on ts since the game was released. :p At least now I know I'm not totally crazy. :D

4 I never noticed until Haarg pointed it out at the last FragBU.

Skold

Sexy!
Aug 10, 2000
These things all help me aim better, and i consider them features.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
I know that if you have the gun to the right hand your aim is slightly to the right but I find its pretty bad. When turning a corner in a hallway you can put the crosshair inside the edge of the wall and the shot will fire through.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
While playing on the FragBU server a couple weeks ago, we noticed and tracked down some oddities with aiming in UT3.
  1. When walking up a slope your view gets offset downward. However, the point your guns fire from does not. This means that your crosshair is slightly lower than where your weapons will actually hit.
  2. The same thing happens when walking down a slope, but with your view offset upward.
  3. When the redeemer explodes but does not kill you or knock you down, it will shake your screen. After the shaking stops, it puts your view back to what appears to be normal. However, for about one second after that, your view and crosshair are offset slightly from where your weapons fire.
  4. UT3 has landing view shake like UT2004, except the position your weapons fire from are not effected by it. This means that with landing view shake on (the default), the position your weapons fire from does not match your view and crosshair when landing. This is the opposite of UT2004.
Thought it would be good to make people aware.
Screenshots would help.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
inaccuracy1hn2.jpg

inaccuracy2ys6.jpg

:p

haarg

PC blowticious
Apr 24, 2002
Over there
This isn't something that is easy to capture in a screenshot since they all require motion. And they are nothing like what T2A posted, as these are all issues where a sniper shot visually matches what is being hit, but the crosshair points somewhere else.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Yeah, but the tracer/projectile not matching where the game actually traced out the shot vector doesn't help either. D: