UT3 DM-HardFall

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SuperAlgae

Tritoxa incurva
Aug 10, 2005
2010 Apr 24 -- Release Candidate 3

Download RC3 of DM-HardFall at:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4156719/DM-HardFall-RC3.zip

This version includes crisper shadowing and a number of other tweaks.

Changes include a few more pieces of deco and small adjustments to pathing, lighting, post-processing, kismet, and collision.

RC1 has been available since Dec 22 from page 5 of the thread. I just hadn't updated this first post yet. I plan to upload an RC2 with a few changes I wanted, but the changes are small. Unless anyone finds problems, RC2 will become the final release.

Here are some screenshots from the latest build.

This includes significant improvements to item placement and flow.

This version includes changes based on feedback and a number of other small changes. One of the more visible changes is my rework of an adjacent building seen here.

The brown building is the old version. My main goal when creating it was to keep the polygon count low. In this respect it was a success, and I used materials to try to compensate, but it still looked too plain and fake to me. Therefore I decided to add a little to the poly count and redo it in a different style.

This is a near-final version. I expect any changes from here will be small or will be extras such as moving traffic. The changes since the last release include, among other things, detailing of the "radio" building and work on the surrounding buildings.

At this point I am looking for feedback on anything and everything. Here are a couple particular questions I have...

I recently added a sniper perch to an adjacent building. One of the jump pads on the dark-side ledge of the garden building leads to it. It has a single pick-up of sniper ammo but no health and no sniper rifle. The rifle is on the other side of the level. The idea is to make sniping be a planned activity, but I think this might be overkill. After all, the view from the sniper area is good but not great.

I'd also like any feedback on sound. I just have a pair of headphones, so I don't know if things sound right on higher-end systems. Furthermore, ambient sounds are quiet for me from the in-editor game, but they sound louder in the full game, so I'd like to know if the balance of sound volume is good for others.

Any other feedback on item quantity/placement, sounds, appearance, performance, etc is appreciated. Thanks.

Screenshots...

This is an overview showing one end of the garden building along with the updated radio building and other surrounding buildings.

An interior shot of the radio building.

A stairwell in the radio building. In the background there is a yellow generator/engine. I tweaked the texture of it to make it appear to shake. It just seemed unnatural for it to make an engine sound without any sign of motion.

A lift in the center of the radio building. The lift itself is a custom mesh I created within the UT3 editor.

This hallway has a moving dust effect. The light cones are pretty standard, but there is also a subtle dust/fog effect through the rest of the hall. I used a grid of sheets with a material that disappears at shallow angles and as you get close. I also used DepthBiasedAlpha to prevent hard edges where it intersects geometry. The way this differs from most fog effects is that it actually catches the light by using the diffuse and transmissive channels rather than just being emmisive.

An exterior shot of the radio building.

This is what I used for the in-game preview image (cropped down to 2x1 of course).

Looking down on the garden building. You can see the newly added sniper perch on the under-construction building in the foreground. As mentioned above, I currently have the sniper rifle on the other side of the level so that sniping must be a planned activity.

This version includes a lot more detail for the garden building... including sounds. Here are some screenshots.

Need a pick-me-up for your 3DBuzz Contest hangover? Well here you go. This is one that didn't make the deadline, so I've picked up work on it again and have a play-test download.

More information is available at http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=167492&page=5

www.flickr.com/photos/15292857@N08/2932200249
www.flickr.com/photos/15292857@N08/2932200227
www.flickr.com/photos/15292857@N08/2613653487
www.flickr.com/photos/15292857@N08/2614486446
www.flickr.com/photos/15292857@N08/2613653345

Last edited:

LtClifff

Feb 26, 2008
I like BSP. But I feel that the effect you are going for could be beter achieved with static meshes in this case. Looks like a good layout and the visual stlye is promising, If rather bland.

SuperAlgae

Tritoxa incurva
Aug 10, 2005
I like BSP. But I feel that the effect you are going for could be beter achieved with static meshes in this case. Looks like a good layout and the visual stlye is promising, If rather bland.

Any ideas on particular static meshes? It is difficult to find meshes in the shipped UT3 assets that work well for a contemporary city setting and aren't "grungified" to death. I am going for a less visually noisy look than most UT3 levels. The question is how to stay "clean" without being "bland". I've tried to compensate with light and shadow (the strength of BSP), though having an outdoor environment highly exposed to sunlight actually works against me in some places.

I could always do some of the classic up-ended tiles, etc, though I'd like to go for something different if possible.

Suggestions are welcome.

Apr 11, 2006
A glass enclosure would be pretty fitting for a rooftop area with trees and such on it, and would allow you to cast more interesting shadow patterns without necessarily giving up the well-lit environment. Could be done in either simple static mesh (Metal supports + Glass planes) or BSP.

In general I think you need more trim, and perhaps just a general more complexity of BSP to pull off a convincing environment.

Screenshot #3 in particular - Those pillars are not convincing at all because even though you've got different materials banded around horizontally, the brush doesn't correspond any height/depth changes to those visual details.

You need some trim to tie in the floor texture to the red brick texture you're using. Some type of oxidized copper plating or grating would look good. Again in screenshot #3 - I think any time you've got a red brick meeting floor tile you need at least something to buffer the two because the contrast is so stark.

SuperAlgae

Tritoxa incurva
Aug 10, 2005
A glass enclosure would be pretty fitting for a rooftop area with trees and such on it, and would allow you to cast more interesting shadow patterns without necessarily giving up the well-lit environment. Could be done in either simple static mesh (Metal supports + Glass planes) or BSP.

Thanks for the feedback. I originally considered a glass archway over the center area but went with the vine-covered beams instead. I may or may not add glass, but I think I will add more beam/arch structures towards the edges of the building so that more areas get interesting shadows.

In general I think you need more trim, and perhaps just a general more complexity of BSP to pull off a convincing environment.

Screenshot #3 in particular - Those pillars are not convincing at all because even though you've got different materials banded around horizontally, the brush doesn't correspond any height/depth changes to those visual details.

It's actually just one material, but I get what you are suggesting. While the UT3 material capabilities are great, sometimes it's just not convincing without real 3D variation.

You need some trim to tie in the floor texture to the red brick texture you're using. Some type of oxidized copper plating or grating would look good. Again in screenshot #3 - I think any time you've got a red brick meeting floor tile you need at least something to buffer the two because the contrast is so stark.

Yes, in the last screenshot there is some static mesh trim, but those places are the exception. I'm not sure I want such trim everywhere, but I think what would work is having a BSP concrete (or metal) border along the bottom of most brick walls. This is common in real-life, would make the texturing more interesting, and would make the edge less harsh.

Also, your term "grating" got me thinking. I should not look to add pure "deco" and instead think about what such a place would need. For example, where does rain water drain to? I should add some grates along the walls or in the floors. And with all those plants, they need a way to water them, so I should add some pipes/hoses. If I add them in a meaningful way (rather than just random pipes), then it will help make the setting more convincing.

On the topic of gameplay, did anyone have a chance to download it and try it out?

Grogan

I tried it, I was sold instantly on looking at the screenshots. I love rooftop, get dizzy looking down and fall to your death style maps :)

Obvious things like visual work needs to be done (e.g. those unfinished concrete monolithic buildings in the background), but also I think some of those jump pads could be fine tuned a bit so they don't result in death quite as often. As I got playing it more though, I did realize that every one of them works if you hit it just right, in the right direction at the right velocity and in some cases add to the momentum by pressing the space bar etc. Seems a bit finicky in the heat of battle though.

I do like that one long jump where you MUST land in that pool of water or die. I wouldn't want you to dumb that one down at all.

There do seem to be a lot of "dead ends" inside the building where the health pickups and stuff are. Corners where you can't jump up and have no choice but to go back and find a way around... hoping you're not going to get ambushed and trounced by a flak cannon heheh

I found sniper ammo, but never did find the sniper rifle in the few times I played through it. I'm sure there has to be one there and I'll look for it, but on maps like that it wouldn't hurt to have a few of them, prevalent. They are more challenging than rocket launchers at least. I wish more people would make those scarce rather than sniper rifles.

I like what you're saying about sticking with a "clean" look for this one. I get tired of grim looking maps all the time.

Great job so far, this map is a lot of fun as it stands, and has the potential to be fabulous.

I've been playing it with normal weapons the first few times, but like all maps I'll probably soon be playing it with instagib.

Last edited:

Grogan

Heheh, I did find the sniper rifle. No wonder I couldn't! That's a very difficult jump to get to it. You have to hit the jump pad just right on that steeple-like thingy on the gargoyle building in between the main ones, to be propelled to the ledge on the corner of that building across the street. I saw there was a pad over there briefly but couldn't get to it. Most of the time, even when I can hit that jump pad on the steeple it just propels me back up to where I was, rather than catapulting me to the ledge across the street.

Very, very cool though. I spent the last three rounds trying to make that jump. I did get it once and when I got the sniper rifle it was sheer joy picking off those fugly bots in the head.

SuperAlgae

Tritoxa incurva
Aug 10, 2005
... I think some of those jump pads could be fine tuned a bit so they don't result in death quite as often. As I got playing it more though, I did realize that every one of them works if you hit it just right, in the right direction at the right velocity and in some cases add to the momentum by pressing the space bar etc. Seems a bit finicky in the heat of battle though.

The jump pads have higher "air control" than normal, which makes it easy to throw yourself off course. The trick is to jump onto the jump pad so that you can let go of the controls before hitting it. If you do that, then they become almost too easy. You bring up a good point though... someone who does not know the "trick" will be at a big disadvantage, which could turn people off. I might need to reduce the air control to normal levels for some of the jumps.

I do like that one long jump where you MUST land in that pool of water or die. I wouldn't want you to dumb that one down at all.

If you do that jump just right, then you can pick up the shield belt (on one of the high horizontal beams) without hitting the beam.

There do seem to be a lot of "dead ends" inside the building where the health pickups and stuff are. Corners where you can't jump up and have no choice but to go back and find a way around... hoping you're not going to get ambushed and trounced by a flak cannon heheh

There are some places that are short "loops", but there should be no dead ends. For the "dead ends" on the top level where the healths are, you can jump out the window with a double jump. It might require a little bit of a running start though. A perfect running double-jump can make it up a 128 unit high ledge. I think the ones at the windows are only 96 units.

Heheh, I did find the sniper rifle. No wonder I couldn't! That's a very difficult jump to get to it. You have to hit the jump pad just right on that steeple-like thingy on the gargoyle building in between the main ones, to be propelled to the ledge on the corner of that building across the street. I saw there was a pad over there briefly but couldn't get to it. Most of the time, even when I can hit that jump pad on the steeple it just propels me back up to where I was, rather than catapulting me to the ledge across the street.

Very, very cool though. I spent the last three rounds trying to make that jump. I did get it once and when I got the sniper rifle it was sheer joy picking off those fugly bots in the head.

One of the jump pads on the ledge of the smaller building leads to the steeple jump pad and to the ledge across the street. If you use the trick above, then it should be automatic. The other steeple jump pad is just for the way back.

Thanks Grogan for the thorough feedback.

Grogan

Ok, that explains it. It was the jump pad on the other side that leads to the ledge (duh). Thanks, I was just jumping down and trying to hit them, not using a jump pad to get to the steeples. I can't wait until tonight when I can play with this again. This is probably the first map where I've had to pay this much attention to jump pad sequences (normally they are brainless things). I'll take back what I said about the jumps, it seems to be the main point of mastering this map.

Yes, dead ends was the wrong term for those corners. It just felt like that when I was scrambling for a health pickup.

I did try it with instagib, but after a couple of rounds I switched back because I couldn't enjoy the jumps (had to pay too much attention to shooting)

SuperAlgae

Tritoxa incurva
Aug 10, 2005

I added some additional BSP detail and did some other adjustments to the pillars. Here's the comparison...

-- BEFORE --

-- AFTER --

I'm not sure I'm completely happy yet, but they are a little more convincing.

SuperAlgae

Tritoxa incurva
Aug 10, 2005
Here's the latest shot of the pillars. I've been working on a number of other improvements that I hope to finish later this week.

Last edited:

SuperAlgae

Tritoxa incurva
Aug 10, 2005
Update!

I've uploaded a new play-test version with a lot more detail. See the first post for more info.

SuperAlgae

Tritoxa incurva
Aug 10, 2005
The garden building has much more detail than before... more greenery, trim, small supply sheds, some pipes, and the couple small interior areas are now finished (accessible from the ledge). The overall feel is the same, but the visual "density" is much higher. Plus there are ambient sounds... birds, insects, traffic, wind, lights, water, etc.

WedgeBob

XSI Mod Tool User
Nov 12, 2008
Cleveland, OH, USA
Heh, looks more like a CS:S map than a UT3 map, to me. Something along the lines of either DE_Torn or DE_Inferno, if I'm not mistaken. Needless to say, can't wait to try it.

Last edited:

Grogan

I've been spending most all of my game time on Far Cry 2 lately (on my third time through and still hooked lol) but I took some time out last night to play this marvelous map.

I don't really have anything to say except that its looking good and that I'll look forward to further updates. The "garden" building is coming along nicely.

SuperAlgae

Tritoxa incurva
Aug 10, 2005
Radiosity Emulation

As an aside, here is a shot showing the impact of radiosity lights I put into the level. This is not a shader effect; I'm not that cool. It's just old-fashioned, manually-added bounce lights.

This is what it looks like with radiosity lights...

This is the same shot without them...

Note that the version of the map available for download already has radiosity lights. I just turned them off in the second shot to show the difference.

Here are a couple shots of the radiosity lights in the editor. I use spotlights with a cone angle of 89 (just short of a half-sphere) and put them just a unit or two off the surface. I found this got the desired effect without causing lightmap artifacts. I also enable only the BSP and Static lighting channels for them to avoid possible performance issues.

Last edited:

SuperAlgae

Tritoxa incurva
Aug 10, 2005
New Version Released

I went without working on this level for months, but I recently got back to it and now have a near-final version. See the first post for details.