Cliff Bleszinski Responds To Critics

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Several of Cliff Bleszinski's recent quips have made him focus on internet outrage from PC gamers. ShackNews decided to go straight to the source to see if he could set the record straight. One of the questions from the short interview:

Shack: What would you say to fans that claim you've abandoned your roots by not doing a PC port of Gears 2?

Cliff Bleszinski: We're a business and we're going where the market is. There's a hundred guys at work, a number of which have wives and kids, and there's a certain amount of responsibility to make sure that they can afford their Pedialyte and their Enfamil. And you know, we're a business, and it makes sense for Gears to keep it on the 360 and have Microsoft market the hell out of it and make the best game that we can.

I'll always love the PC. That's where our roots are, but, you know, companies evolve and their strategies sometimes shift, and that's an unfortunate reality of business.

In the game business to make money...wow imagine that.
I play PC games and if Epic doesn't make games for PC then I guess I won't play them. It's pretty simple for me. Nothing against Epic. They want to succeed and they are going where the market leads them.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Are Pedialyte/Enfamil that hard to afford? I don't know, but this sounds very serious.
Also, every time they'll say "Focus 100% on X360 version" doesn't make any sense to me.

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
This is why Valve is just a better company than Epic as far as taking care of their fanbase and not abandoning the people who helped to make them what they are today. Epic is really the new EA ... these days they only care about making money and the bottomline. Making old fans happy is just a thing of the past. And then we get these pathetic and insulting explanations ... to think I used to really respect this arrogant prick.

Matfei

[:«]Ω[»:]:Mױפקזג:]:
Apr 22, 2008
Behind the Great Australian Firewall
CliffyB said:
And because I'm the one that's doing all the interviews, suddenly everyone's assuming that I'm the one that makes that call. It's like, alright, I'm going to make the best game I can with the talented people I work with, and it's up to the powers that be to decide where it winds up.

It's all about how you say it in the interview, douchebag.

No ones gunna go 'oh, ok' when you call them a pirate.

Nirvelli

Slight OCD.
Aug 18, 2004
P-Town, NW USA
Yeah, I find it interesting that when it comes to the Gears games, they have always talked about how they don't make a PC version with it because they can't make the best game possible unless they "focus 100% on the 360 version," but when they were working on UT3 for PC and consoles at the same time, and we all said "hey, won't that make the PC version worse?" they said "no, we can work on PC and consoles at the same time, and they will all be the best."

So Epic can or can't do multi-platform work? I'm just a bit confused.

Last edited:

Mad Max RW

Road Warrior
Nov 13, 2003
www.duckandcover.net
When a PC dev gets big and wants to continue existing they simply must switch to the console. That's the way it is and always will be. Even id and Valve are beginning to make the switch. And with a stinker like UT3 it's pretty obvious Epic threw in the PC towel. They should have gone out on a high note with UT2k4 instead of releasing a slapped together technology demo for Gears of War etc.

RennyManJr

Hater in Rehab
Jan 20, 2008
Modena, Italy
www.runesofwar.net
Cliff Bleszinski: Look, we put a lot of work into Gears PC. There was basically a whole new act in there. And we thought that that section was a very well done section of game, filled in some plot points that might have been missing from the first game to be perfectly honest.
Except for the fact that that section was the worst optimized section of the game, stuttering even on a high end quad core sistem with a radeon hd3850 512MB and (this is the most puzzling part, since i think the problem lies in the streaming of the levels) a recently formatted Seagate hard disk with 16MB cache set up to use the 3GB/s sata bus. And he's using all of them according to the benchmarks i've done on it.

It may be a good chapter storytelling wise, but the performance sucks in every rig i've seen until now. And they are all recently bought gaming PCs.

Severin

Feb 8, 2008
Aye aye matey's. Its the plank for that scurvy dog and keel haul those land lubbers.

Oops sorry, was sorting out a problem on my pc earlier.

Apathy

The original
Apr 16, 2004
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Was UT3 that big of a failure that they are abandoning pc games or just gears 2?

I don't even know if UT3 was a failure or not since I didn't buy the game but people who do own it complain a lot about the lack of players online and that may mean that sales were low, but if they made a "good" gears 2 port it would definitely sell.

That goes for any pc game really, make a good one and it will sell, if you just throw something together then of course it's not going to do very well, and ports from a console game typically seem thrown together and buggy.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
Are Pedialyte/Enfamil that hard to afford? I don't know, but this sounds very serious.
While people in CliffyB's line of work should not be having any trouble with this, that stuff defnitely is very expensive. Enfamil (baby formula powder) can be $10-20 a can.
Pedialyte is basically overpriced Gatorade.

UndeadRoadkill

Mar 26, 2001
they can't make the best game possible unless they "focus 100% on the 360 version," but when they were working on UT3 for PC and consoles at the same time, and we all said "hey, won't that make the PC version worse?" they said "no, we can work on PC and consoles at the same time, and they will all be the best."

They're saying the same thing about the upcoming PCF game:

Mark Rein said:
On Gears 2 we decided 100% of the effort was going to go to the one console version. I believe that concentration of effort has made Gears 2 an even better game than the original... ...In addition PCF is now working on their own kickass game, to be published by EA, which is being designed from the start for both PC and console

TheIronKnuckle

What the hell is this "ballin" thing?
Gears of War is a console franchise first and foremost.
And what about UT? PC on bread with butter pls.
But we just believe that collectively we can laser-focus this franchise, keep it on console, and it will be stronger as a result. I mean it's just plain and simple.
If it's so plain and simple then why couldn't you do the same thing with ut3 and keep it laser-focused on PC?

The guys at Valve, Rockstar and ID manage to feed their kids while still making games that don't come off as stitched together tech demos left over from a console game developer's toolkit.

I'm sure no one at Epic has problems buying baby formula. I mean how big are Epic babies?

In all honesty though with everyone tightening their purse strings (including publishers, and I'm sure everyone in the chain of command of the game development industry) things get expensive faster nowadays and pay off less.

I wish Epic all the best in their future endeavors and hope they rake in tons of cash in the console market. I hope they then use some of that cash to bring the Unreal series back to the forefront of PC gaming with either an Unreal Tournament for the next generation or.. what I'd like to see more,.. Unreal,.. the strange, beautiful alien worlds, the creepy sci-fi experence that dragged me into PC gaming to begin with renvisioned and brought screaming onto today's modern pc hardware.

Of course, we're more likely to wind up seeing Gears of War 7: Locusts gone Wild on some as of yet unreleased Microsoft hand held gaming device that doubles as a cell phone and a portable taxidermy toolkit or a waffle-iron.:D

Quote from Clifford
"We're a business and we're going where the market is. There's a hundred guys at work, a number of which have wives and kids, and there's a certain amount of responsibility to make sure that they can afford their Pedialyte and their Enfamil. And you know, we're a business, and it makes sense for Gears to keep it on the 360 and have Microsoft market the hell out of it and make the best game that we can.

I'll always love the PC. That's where our roots are, but, you know, companies evolve and their strategies sometimes shift, and that's an unfortunate reality of business."

LOLOL.
OK what would happen if suddenly the whole UT mod community (which is basically a PC community) decides that they will do free maps and mods solely for PC and if Epic and MS or Sony wants to see all that work on their precious moneymaking consoles they would need to share some profits. What’s the price of a mid sized professional level these days? ~5000 $ per console?
My point here is: If Epic looks everything through the $ value (which is fine, I don’t mind) should they expect a different behavior from their community? I don’t think so.

I know, UT is not GOW, but this could be much broader issue than GOW in the future.