CliffyB: No Gears 2 For Windows

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
And like I said TO ME a real gamer cares about the game not the platform. If a game is fun enough to a person the platform is irrelevant.

I still find it funny that someone thats not willing to buy a platform for a game they "might" like is not a "true" or "real" gamer. You continue to taunt time and time again as if your comments would somehow change my stance on the ideals that 360 represents.

For some of us it'll never be as simple as handing over the money, we know what that money will represent when it changes hands and to fund that directly. Well like I said thats a choice "I" make, I dont think Ive ever seen people trying as hard as you are in the opposite... Its like that on alot from alot of 360 forums, its like buy one, buy one, just buy one. Sure people might say buy a PC but I very rarely if ever hear people say dont buy a 360 (and are serious), those comments usually come from people with dead 360's.

If the platform is so irrelevant, why do we bother with so many different ones?

Im just proud to say I support alittle thing called consumer choice if that gets me a "hater" label then so be it!

I dont hate mc donalds, I dont go around telling people not to buy there but I prefer my burgers from hungry jacks! If I give money to mc donalds for burgers you think they'll change the way they cook the burgers to make me like em more?

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
Someone who barely posts around here has some nerve telling me to grow up.

/e-peen. Laughable.

Because we all know posting lots and lots on an internet forum devoted to video games is the height of maturity.

Also despite all the console hating going on around here there are obviously more than enough console gamers who enjoy playing games like this (nearly 5 million gamers have spoken with their wallets)

Quote wiki - "In March 2005, 50 Cent's second commercial album, The Massacre, sold 1.14 million copies in the first four days—the highest in an abbreviated sales cycle— and peaked at number one on the Billboard 200 for six weeks"
(...)
"The lead single, "In da Club" (...)broke a Billboard record as the most listened-to song in radio history within a week"

Amount of sales does not equal quality, as demonstrated by the above example.

Your definition of true gamer sounds pretty good. It's your abuse of that otherwise fine definition to 'prove' that we are idiots that irks me.

Your concept of loving the game regardless of what platform it's on is exactly WHY I love PC gaming.
I have found, from experience, that most console-only games are of lower quality and depth than a typical good PC game, as well as dumbed: easy entertainment for the masses. In nearly 14 years of gaming I have grown over the cheap thrills of "ooh, chainsaw! Rox0rz!" and "Ooh! Shiny!".
Also, I am certain that console FPS games are not the type of FPS that I like. Those are all on PC.

Disliking console gaming because of that is not because of the console, or immature in any way, it's simply knowing what one wants.
Hell, if one released a good game for my graphing calculator I'd probably play it. If they released a bad one, I wouldn't. Does that make me a platform racist?
For platformer games and the odd casual game, I have bought an N64, Gamecube and PS2. For all other, 'real' games I have my PC.

You can argue with me about the quality of console games and it they really are inferior, but it won't make a difference: to me, most of them are, and that's why I game on PC.

That is also why I am pissed off by one of the most respected PC developers turning it's back on the platform and going for cheap-n'-easy games only, which denies me their talent at making good games.
It's no biggie, I have other games. Like others said, Quake Live is coming up, there's BF heroes soon, crysis warhead, I still have to play through bioshock (although the PC port is also quite horrible), etc. I won't stop gaming because one company decides being MS's ho is a good idea.

Last edited:

DevilBlackDeath

Sep 1, 2008
There's no REAL gamer, just because "oh, you prefer PC or PS3, I love 360, 360 FTW, you're not a REAL gamer because you don't want to buy 360 (FTW:lol:) for playing so so so so so so much great game", this is a kid attitude. Why the f**k don't they just release on the maximum platforms possible depending on gameplay and brand, and let's add at least a coop cross-platform, and Gears just become the best game ever, let's have fun TOGETHER, all the one which reject other platform players(some don't do so and that's good), stop do this, and let's just have the same game on different platforms but with the same fun, and let's talk together about it, give tips to players of other platforms!!!;););) That's just the dream of a minority of gamers like me, but it seems some "fanboys" continue to totally deny computers or consoles(for PC fanboys). I can see some people on this forum have this dream too. I'm almost sure, it will be released on PC, Epic, if you do so, don't give us extras, it will be another reason for 360 fanboys to blame us, maybe we'll can at last speak quietly, Anuban, just change your mind, why do you want to got it exclusive, to "value" your buying of the 360, but keep in mind that a computer that can run games on maximum with very high resolution worth 3000-4000$ only for case what's inside.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Yep. It is stupid to say "focus on the game" when games are not released on all of the platforms they CAN be released on. When that happens, it will be about the games. For now, it's not.

DevilBlackDeath

Sep 1, 2008
Oh, its just too hard for Epic to do a straight up PC Game first and dumb it down for consoles.
FFS! Wouldn't it only be easier than trying to build up from a console version?

As far as I know it's far easier because you must do at least a basic PC version to compile it on consoles, it means that there's almost nothing to do to port it on PC when you do it first on consoles, but there's something to do. For console just optimizing the code(normally done on PC too) then recompile with the code of the consoles. PC to console is easier I think yeah!!! But there will be sure the port, you're right as every people who said that, intentsly;)

KaiserWarrior

Flyin' High
Aug 5, 2008
I'm going to point to the explosive popularity of this thread and the lulz of its tags to say that somebody at Epic dun made a booboo. That is all.

And on the subject of "True gamers get 360s" and the like: Yeah, 'Real' gamers love the games, not the platforms. Intelligent gamers judge platforms on total amount of fun to be had with them and make purchasing decisions that way, instead of just throwing money at every electronic box to come along. I don't have a brickbox 360 because I don't enjoy purchasing hardware that intends to fail (lulz, red ring) to play games that are either available on PC, or bad. No matter how many times you say "Oh look, Halo 3 sold a bajillion copies!", it won't change the fact that the game (and series) is a turd that gets gobbled up in huge quantities by frat boys who don't know what a good game is.

This thread is not about '360 sux0rs'. This thread, and its ten pages, are about Epic officially saying "**** you, PC gamers" when PC gamers made them who they are. Their entire reputation is built off of the PC platform, and they just told it to get bent. They are part of the supposed 'PC Gaming Alliance', and they just cast a vote of no confidence in the platform. It looks bad, from a PR perspective.

Very curious that Epic suddenly stopped caring about PC right about the time Macroshaft started throwing buckets of money at them to sell 360s with their new games.

JimBodkins

Apr 10, 2004
Just a friendly comment based on a personal observation.

Carmack is an innovator - always has been. He follows his nose.

Sweeney (sp) has done a remarkable thing with Unreal Engines. But he (meaning he and others) is not the innovator that Carmack is. Sweeney has always followed Carmack. He followed Carmack in my opinion because he wanted to BE Carmack. I remember (foggy) the early pre-release days when it was the fan base - many of them complaining here today - that made Sweeneys dream possible; the very people he is leaving behind in my opinion.

Carmack will always be 'business aware'. But he will always follow his nose and remember how he started.

It appears that Sweeney has stopped following Carmack and is now following someone else. Maybe someone at Microsoft. But he is still following. And while he like Carmack is 'business aware' it appears that he unlike Carmack has forgotten who made his dream possible.

Epic like so many other companies has transitioned from something special to many in their fanbase to just another gaming company -- unlike ID. Sweeney might have done better to follow Carmacks 'business sense' more than his engine design.

Dont get angry - just some thoughts based on fuzzy memory.

(unedited)

JimBodkins

Apr 10, 2004
As a note with a caveat - a PC version of any console title could be subcontracted based on percentages and with final approval. A PC version of anything is possible without major investment - the PC version may have stiff hardware requirements - but is doable.

The caveat is the exclusion of proprietary code. I cant answer this. A company like Microsoft could force the use of proprietary code which may make a port tough without it.

But this smells more like business/policy rather than technology.

It smells like Sweeney is owned.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
You incorrectly assume that Tim Sweeney likely has anything to do with the daily operations of Epic. In fact, I doubt he has spent more than a few minutes working on any of Epic's games in the last few years. their engine team is separate from their two game teams.

JimBodkins

Apr 10, 2004
You incorrectly assume that Tim Sweeney likely has anything to do with the daily operations of Epic. In fact, I doubt he has spent more than a few minutes working on any of Epic's games in the last few years. their engine team is separate from their two game teams.

Thanks for the info. Carmack is in a similar position I believe. While I understand why you concluded that I meant Sweeney, in a previous post I used Sweeney as a plural to include those I could not name as well as Sweeney.

But I didnt know he was removed from the day to day. I assume he still is involved in policy to some extent. Perhaps not.

sid

I posted in the RO-me thread
and all I got was
a pink username!
Oct 20, 2005
I dont understand, why take the franchise to the PC if you had to discontinue it?Seriously pisses me off!

EXE-973

Aug 25, 2003
Visit site
Anuban said:
Someone who barely posts around here has some nerve telling me to grow up.

Since when does a low post count make a comment any less valid? I really dislike those who use an amount of posting as a justification to discredit others comments. In fact, it seems to me that those who do so need to justify themselves.

As for Epic, I've followed them since Unreal. I bought the game the moment it came to my Exchange while I was in Okinawa. I even bought two voodoo 2 12 Mb cards on the Japanese marketplace to run it well. I'm disappointed that they are ignoring the PC on this one. I don't understand why companies just can't release all the games on day one for all the platforms with the ability. This exclusive crap does nothing except exclude sales. The more platforms, the more sales.... This crap is the very reason I'm peeved at Lucasarts for spitting in PC owners faces. At this point I see Epic as a generic designer. I was a fan, but after UT3, not so much. I guess it just doesn't pay to be loyal to a company anymore. My son may buy gears 2 when it releases, but I probably won't even notice it. Just another game.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Yep. It is stupid to say "focus on the game" when games are not released on all of the platforms they CAN be released on. When that happens, it will be about the games. For now, it's not.

Indeed, and besides, beeing a "real gamer" does not mean you have to play and enjoy anything and everything out there, there's nothing wrong with having standards and/or preferences, and making smart purchases that fit your own tastes and needs.

intentsly

Feb 20, 2008
i feel i'm starting to loopback ;)

Epic is just doing what its paid to do by Microshaft; "Make me an exclusive game worthy of Microshaft". But they'll continue to sub-contract their titles for PC, charitable folk$ they are.
The fear PC Gamers have is that other companies will start doing the same.
Its not even about GoW2 as a game nor 360 as a platform, its the way Epic is operating to make a fast buck; Exclusives.
For some reason, 360/con$ole fans feel above PC Gamers when they get a game that is 'exclusive' to them; "<game title> Only on XBox!". "Ha Ha, you guys suck because we have a game that rocks and you don't!"
I'll joke around like anyone else about consoles unplayable for this or that, but I don't think its right when anyone is left out of experiencing a game just because of the platform. True gamers would agree and would want others to have fun.
Multi-platform releases are out of the question if con$ole sales would waver. Microshaft would never hear of it. "You don't know the powah of darkside!"
PC Gamers just want to be able to play a great game AND their sequels on the platform they like best. A reasonable person would expect that if a sequel were to come out for a game they've been playing on their platform, that it would be available for that platform.
Real Gamers are the ones who don't judge others situations, but respect them instead (irregardless of their number of posts).

End Transmission

sneh

-
Apr 11, 2008
www.grozmo.com
Well now I'm glad I didn't get around to buying GOW1 for PC, I was going to soon. I don't have to now because I can't play the sequel anyway, there's no point.. (2 less sale$)

I don't and never will play shooters using controller, so by making games like this exclusive to any console means I will never be able to play them. (even if I did own a 360, but I don't mostly because of this reason and I already have a PS3 for driving games and thats about it)

Does Epic own shares in Microsoft or something? I don't know how it works, but there must be money involved to remove entire market segments.
They set the PC games up to fail and then point at it and say "hey its not working out, not selling as much"
Well when you release a game on PC 1 year after the console = a recipe for failure - everyone who really wanted it already caved in and got it on console (even if they would prefer it on PC), and everyone left is buying an "old" game anyway. WTF is going on.

Anyway, go ahead and make UT4 exclusive to xbox too and be done with - I would specifically never buy another Epic game if they did that.
(again.. I can't play shooters on controllers anyway, its not even a choice.. sorry)

lol911

May 17, 2005
Oh, and is it just me, or did Epic denouncing GoW2 for PC also kill off the news here? :lol:

XeroWolf

Unreal Ninja
Jan 21, 2006
Grenada
Honestly I can't say that I'm surprised at this.
I mean GOW was originally built for the 360. The PC port was just an after though like "Hey lets see if we can make a little extra cash by porting it to PC."
Obviously it didn't sell as well as Epic would have hoped. Go figure.:rolleyes:
Most of the people who really wanted GOW already got it on the 360. It has it's own fan clubs, action figure and Cliffy even got a few more stalkers added to his hit list. So anyway that market was already dried up by the time the PC port came around.
Most of the people who got the PC version most likely had UT3 and said "hey now I can check out GOW to see what all the noise was about". Oh yeah, maybe a few PS3 owners who wanted a piece of the pie as well.

Now we have GOW2.
"So are we going to port this one to PC too?"
"Nah to much hassle."
"The first one didn't do so hot."
"Err People Can Fly is kinda busy with our new IP."

UndeadRoadkill

Mar 26, 2001
Have any of you read that Rod Fergusson thing? All you guys wanna punch Cliffy B, but I begin to wonder if maybe he believes he's doing PC a favor when he says that...

rajput_warrior

The World's Favorite Flak Monkey
Feb 26, 2004
BC, Canada
xbox's are cheap now (or going to be). 200 bucks and has a huge and great library and is capable of doing what it can is cheap.. Save up for a little while kiddies...

Last edited: