CliffyB: No Gears 2 For Windows

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Armagon917

TOAST
Mar 6, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
Does anyone find it ironic that EPIC is obviously showing PC renders of characters in many of their screenshots to make the game look better. Just look at the screens on IGN. haha sellouts. I think some of these might be directly out of zbrush or mudbox. just saying if the 360 was so great why are we getting these dressed up screenshots?

example

http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/...f-war-2-20080714001139018.html?page=mediaFull

i know this technique has been used before but in this context its extemely ironic. a trained eye can see that the cavern is a background image and likely not in engine. just something i find interesting. thoughts?

Last edited:

UndeadRoadkill

Mar 26, 2001
Whats wrong with epic being loyal to profits instead of fanbase? Nothing is wrong with that, but it is going wrong.
Being focused on profit instead of fanbase SHOULD produce higher quality games and more profit to produce even higher quality games. Thats the ideal situation.
For some reason epic is shaming the concept by being loyal to profits but not producing high quality games and thus not getting as much profit and thus lower quality games all round.

Nothing wrong with being loyal to profit IMO. As long as that profit helps produce higher quality games in the future. That is where EPIC is failing.

See, I think you've got the logic wrong there. Focusing on profit will only lead to higher quality if higher quality is going to generate more profit.

Unfortunately, that is often not the case. Often it means finding the largest audience, and doing what you can to rope in and appeal to as many as you can. If you're purely profit-minded, why invest any more resources than you need to to make the numbers? High quality doesn't have to be a consideration if low quality sells. And frankly, the masses usually have poor taste.

But you have to be a good judge of how much you need to deliver. If you have a big success, and let it go to your head, and you start to think your poop don't stink, that you can release anything and people will beg to pay you for it... well, you can imagine how that would start to go.

UndeadRoadkill

Mar 26, 2001
Does anyone find it ironic that EPIC is obviously showing PC renders of characters in many of their screenshots to make the game look better.

Didn't they do the same thing with high quality models and textures in pre-release screens of UT3 for PC? Bait and switch.

(In fact, it seems like they had a whole higher quality game there in the various sneak peeks of the development stages, what happened to it?)

cosmix

XoXo
May 20, 2006
Germany
They will port it to PC later. Maybe another team will do this work but Im sure they will do.
Its easy to port code from xbox or ps3 virtual machines that is running on a pc back to that platform.
All console games are developed on a pc!
My thought is that they first want to save some money because of overflowing piracy on the PC. Ya, and I can agree to it! Its sad but they do right with their decision...

Armagon917

TOAST
Mar 6, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
Didn't they do the same thing with high quality models and textures in pre-release screens of UT3 for PC? Bait and switch.

(In fact, it seems like they had a whole higher quality game there in the various sneak peeks of the development stages, what happened to it?)

Good point. Does UT3 look like this on the highest settings?

http://pc.ign.com/dor/objects/74663...ent-iii-20070906034521755.html?page=mediaFull

id Software has done it but when DOOM 3 came out it was really close to what they were showing. it seems deceptive to me the way EPIC is doing this. As for UT3 you are right on. higher resolution textures were used. I remember when it was still named ut2007 that they said over 50 percent of the textures will be 2048X2048 and when released there won't be a machine that can run it maxed. I believe it was Mark Rein that said that. I guess thats what happens when you make a game with consoles as a priority.

Armagon917

TOAST
Mar 6, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
My thought is that they first want to save some money because of overflowing piracy on the PC. Ya, and I can agree to it! Its sad but they do right with their decision...

I have a massive book case with dozens of retail games. pics? i think the piracy argument is 50 percent valid (extreme guestimation) but from my personal experiences PC gamers I know are buying their games even if its something like. "well multiplayer won't work" heh I think its something EPIC is using to justify its position and isn't as bad as developers make it seem. If you make a bad game its the perfect scapegoat.

COD4 is selling great on PC, i think great games will sell no matter what. you can point to Crysis but that game was pushing hardware too far and if it was released now with the new gen cards it would do much better. it was ahead of what even high end gamers had. 7900 gtx sli and I had problems with framerate.

Last edited:

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Actually, they never said that Gears of War was not coming to the PC. They always said stuff along the lines of "it's an Xbox 360 exclusive right now and that's what we're concentrating on".

Never did they say "we have decided not to do a PC version". That's pretty direct.

Yeah I though so too but now we got people saying "this time around" doesnt mean never... Honestly if we get picky you could say that "we" is Epic so theres a possibility that it could be outsourced. See People Can Fly being majority Epic held would come under "we" and we all know there is something else going on.

Im not getting my hopes up because people want to pick it apart, its certainly possible we could see GoW2 on PC, whether or not its in a timeframe that matters is another thing altogether. It simply wont have the same push behind it the 360 version does either way.

Last edited:

rattyocaster

Up close and personal Sniper
Jul 26, 2002
United Kingdom
www.jordanappleton.co.uk
Well, I have to say I'm disappointed with Epic for their innitial decision. I myself have a PS3 and a PC (not too shabby one at that) I bought GoWFW when it came out and I'm still playing it now (trying to get through it on Insane at the moment), it also swayed me to buy a 360 controller for PC (oddly enough it's one of the few games that works better on a controller) of course the controller gets a lot of use on racing games as well for when I can't be bothered to set up my steering wheel. I would prefer if GoW2 did manage to arrive at some stage as a PC game, however it won't be the end of the world. I just thing that Epic may miss out on a few percent of players who actually want to play it on PC becaue it's more accessible to them. I aren't planning on buying an 360 at the moment, I already have a PS3 and from what I've played so far it does appear to be better as a device (including it's multimedia capabilities not just a games machine) so other than a select few games (before 360 owners chip in...are their really no PS3 games you want to play?) I have no case for spending hundreds of pounds on a 360. The other PC bonus of the Live system, we don't have to PAY for gold features, it's Microsoft's way of expanding their user base because they know PC gamers can go somewhere else for games and not just play GFWL games.
If I do get a 360 it'lll be off ebay in several years when everyone is trying to sell them to get money together for the next big thing and I can pick one up for £1

Entr0p1cLqd

May 25, 2004
I think it'll be a shame if GoW 2 never makes it to the PC. I enjoyed it a lot, and I love the co-op mode. But hey, that's life.

I guess that just leaves Valve and id a large piece of pie. I'm not counting EA because of their current 3 activations and you have to phone us up bull**** DRM restrictions.

...I'm eagerly waiting for GTA4 to come to the PC in November, Rockstar always do a solid job with the PC versions of their GTA series. Seen as a port I guess, but with Rockstar I expect a higher level of perfection on pc...
It's never happened before.

Both Vice City and San-Andreas were straight ports with higher-res textures and support for a larger draw distance. All the game-play bugs from the console games were ported, and lets face it, the pop-in and LoD on GTa-SA was shocking.

R* will do the minimum they need to ensure the game works on the PC. I wouldn't expect anything more than that.

rattyocaster

Up close and personal Sniper
Jul 26, 2002
United Kingdom
www.jordanappleton.co.uk
Labnetik said:
I guess that just leaves Valve and id a large piece of pie. I'm not counting EA because of their current 3 activations and you have to phone us up bull**** DRM restrictions.
It's never happened before.
That is very true. I have owned all of the "GTA 3" series shall we say, they've all been very....average. I play them through and think "Glad that's over" rather than, wow that was a great game! and yes they are all technically flawed...on the same scale as the Bush administration actually...

DorDuke82

Mar 13, 2008
Saxony, Germany
Actually, they never said that Gears of War was not coming to the PC. They always said stuff along the lines of "it's an Xbox 360 exclusive right now and that's what we're concentrating on".

Never did they say "we have decided not to do a PC version". That's pretty direct.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Definitely-No-Gears-of-War-for-PC-44196.shtml

Sounds pretty direct to me :D

@Gears2 not for PC:

Who didnt see that coming? Epic has done everything to p*** PC Gamers off, they threw out a mediocre Bugridden Port and a feature-stripped Game on the PC and then they moan about how making PC Games isnt worth it because PC Gamers dont buy such messes. Now they can say: "There is no point in making a PC Version of GoW2 - look at UT3 und GoWPC Sales - it just isnt worth the cost" - they dont even have the guts to admit their mistakes and on top of all that they are in the PC Gaming Alliance. Because of that they may even still think they are PC Gamings Saviour in given us a Engine that does nothing special and is like UT3 featureless in comparison with others (No FSAA, no real dynamic Lightning, etc.) - Games for PC? Let other Companies handle that as long as they are shoving down the UE3 Engine License Money down on Epics a$$

Just to make things clear from my standpoint: its not the fact GoW2 isnt coming for PC thats getting my pulse high - its the way Epic acts in the direction of their old Fan-Base, wich is because of that acting pretty dead now anyways.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaps.

I don't give a **** about this as long as I'll play it with my X360.

What really impressed me is the number of people who wanted another GOW game on the PC. Wow.

Last edited:

r1esG0

Unreal Engine Padawan
Feb 4, 2008
Seville, Spain
its impossible to know right now if theyre or theyre not releasing it for pc,
those words could be marketing movements,

for example, saying they will not make pc version, will make everybody buy it for 360, then a year later, when they have sold the very last copy for the 360, they make still more money selling a few more copies on pc, ( wich is, more or less, what happened with gow1, at first, there were lots and lots of denied rumours that a pc version was coming)

always it will be microsoft who deceides, because they have got a "games for windows" division, that is intended to make more money.

Eitherway, if the game is released or not, i dont care.
If the game comes to pc, im playing it, if not im not playing it.
Im not buying a console to play this. And i know that a lot of you are on the same boat.

r1esG0

Unreal Engine Padawan
Feb 4, 2008
Seville, Spain
guy, i remember when THAT picture, of the game for windows platform came across all over the internet, with that photo of gow for windows.

and one guy said "hey, thats games for windows?, look there on the stand, its gears of wars!"
and still, with the picture thrown at our face, they were denying the version,
even the picture was ripped from the internet but you can find it if you search for it.

This time, most of us, think gow2 will come for pc, because we have the experience of the previous version, so to make us think another thing, they have to deny it explicitly.

Hell, i even remember when phill harrison said ps3 will not be cheaper until 2 or 3 years after release, just a month before its price was reduced 200$.

They lie us, or they simply say things and time later say they said another things.
In Spain we say:

Donde dije "digo" dije "Diego".

Last edited:

nELsOn

bSnakeCastShadow = True
Aug 18, 2005
on a plane
www.nelsonmaps.wordpress.com
i just love what this thread got tagged with :rolleyes:

seriously, i don't think the decision whether or not Gears 2 will be released for the PC some time in the future rests with Epic alone. Microsoft is the publisher and if they ever reach the conclusion that they need to make money with a PC version of this game i bet we'll see it after all.

They should then make next version of UT PC-only.

QFT

Last edited:

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Don't forget the facts when you're jumping onto the "I hates Epic"-bandwagon :
= Epic is a small company

= their core-business is developing/selling a multi-platform engine-license ...

= they barely managed to make GoW and UE3 with their own resources

= they had to outsource various parts of the UT2kx game already (ONS was not done by a Dutch company specializing in this kind of stuff)

= they had to outsource the pc-port of GoW to another developer (People can Fly)

= People can Fly is busy with their own unnamed IP using UE3, as such it is obvious they'll be too busy with either the after-sales support to add to their workload

= Epic is doing GoW2 (they're near release) and they are doing R&D for UE3 and UE4

= GoW for pc was not the kind of hit that it should have been (for Epic)

Options :
= hire a different developer for the GoW2-port (problems : even outsourced projects require time&resources from Epic).

= delay the release of the port for 2 years instead of 1 ... (one year already is an eternity in gaming)

= no GoW2 for pc

When given the lack of potential for the sequel in the extremely competitive pc-market it is not much of a surprise that they have (at this time) decided to put that aspect on hold.

Last edited: