NFS: Undercover

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin
Burnout was good, part 3 was the best... Paradise sucked donkey balls... stupid open world concept...

whut? Paradise was like "hell yes, finally!"
At least they're evolving while NFS is fueled by current marketing trends and the odd rummaging through toilet bowls(pro street...ugh)... which can be attributed to EA ofcourse.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Yeah I agree, if we saw NFS alittle less frequently or EA went with their expansions like other titles it could make NFS a better IP. The idea of paying for single cars or rims etc sucks to high hell but if I got all the things carbon had MW didnt in a pack, well thatd be more worth the price.

One thing I kinda find annoying though is the constant changing, its good they are wanting to explore new things but there are some features which I would have liked to see stay through every new NFS game.

With that said it would be kewl to see NFS take a year off out of its busy production lifecycle and come back with a boom :)

AMMAGETSVM

wild
Jun 5, 2001
brooklyn
Most Wanted was my personal favorite because I'm a HUGE fan of police pursuit since born. I played a lot of Driver games back then (Especially Driver 2) over and over again hopping to see more of those games on the shelves. When Most Wanted got released I was so hyped after trying the demo just for the police pursuits, the racing was just middle fun.

I'm not that skeptical of a person for Undercover, I mean, damages, cops, and maybe you'll get to play as a cop... If anyone that liked Most Wanted don't want to try Undercover, I really have no clue what's up with said person.

MW was the best one! All that cop action totally made that game!!!
I got so hooked on the cop missions and messing around with them in general that I didn't even care about beating the last bosses.
good times, and I'd like to see that once more in the series. I'd totally throw down the bucks to do it again, faster, better.

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
The races were cool, and it was fun just driving around like a lunatic, but the open world thing got a bit confusing at times.
The speed is insane! You're allready going 34 lightyears a second and the message 'BOOSTER READY' appears again :D fun stuff :)

Indeed! Paradise is without a doubt the best in the series. The only thing missing is split-screen.
Hell yeah split-screen would rock! Maybe it will be in a future update but there's little chance on that..

Is there any ingame footage from NFS:Undercover yet? The screenshots look nice, but that doesn't show gameplay.

DRT-Maverick

Lover of Earwigs
Dec 4, 1999
Reno, NV
Grand Tourismo has always seemed a par up on NFS when it comes to realism. I always played NFS for the fun-factor and GT for the realism.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
the open-world concept may have been nice, but Burnout is a bit too fast for the layout they had as a result you're crashing a bit too frequently for it to be any fun IMHO.

The weird thing is that there's a free add-on for Paradise ... which is rather odd for an EA-published game. Unless that is supposed to fill the gap until the bikes are added ?
// ---
The trailer does appear to show bits and pieces of the game (in between the rest). It does not appear to be looking that much better compared to previous NFS-games for the 360/PS3 ...

NFS is more like a bunch of arcade-racers from a single publisher instead of sequels.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Would be great if they'd make a NFS with all pre-tunned vehicles for a change. Racing with stock cars is only something you do when you start the game, and that's only the starter one, eventually you unlock cars like a Pontiac GTO for example, by that time you will already have the necessary founds to upgrade the whole car into a racing machine. So why they just keep on keeping the silly stock car concept, is annoying me.

GRID doesn't have a single stock car, it's always fun to try them all for their own handling, accel, suspension, and stability.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
I think the entire concept of 'unlocking' or 'tuning' cars causes problems as the AI-opponents have to resort to 'cheating' or use ridiculously overpowered cars in order to be a threat to the player.

The best thing in the (initial) NFS-series was the simple fact that you could pick any car and satisfy your need for speed.

I also hope they try a little harder when it comes to achievements as the ones for NFS:MW were pretty pathetic.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
I dont mind tuning/upgrading cars I just wish it was alittle more on par with what the car can really do. For eg in carbon apparently the fastest, in topspeed, cars are 4 and 6 cylinders which I find very odd, Im sure they can go fast with racing parts but it would be more to acceleration.

If they didnt pimp cars that really cant do that and keep them inline with what they would be like with stageX parts in real life with the arcade feel Id be fine with that. I like racing stock as well though, if racing parts were limited to real tracks where blackmarket racing parts could be for road races thatd work for me as well. Things like chip upgrades, racing turbos etc but anything more like racing tyres are best left for the track where you can have tyre wear and pits.

Paying for damage done to cars is a kewl concept I thought but it can be tricky for some people to get the hang of, it could be something to difficulty level with the price you pay for damage. Then again with the bounty in MW you really dont want to be messing your car up with the cops on your arse :p

The class system is pretty good though it keeps cars inline alittle but as I said in carbon there are a few stupid ones in there. A tricked out v8 might not be so good in acceleration but it should **** on the others at top speeds, breaking in a heavier car would obviously be different. Depends on the track too, I like being able to tweak cars alittle to suit the track more.

Anyways if its road racing like MW Id say to keep the stock car concept (and concept cars :)), the prices are kinda crap for upgrade parts but its good to buy a car and upgrade it in career mode. Track racing Id say give people some racing options depending on race class etc.

I dunno though, NFS can just be really good or bad I just think its time for the series to show what it can really do. Mix it up between track racing and road racing somehow or even give player a career choice, I really like what road racing brings to the table in terms of traffic and obstacles on the flip side I really like what track racing brings with tyre wear, damage and more endurance like racing.

I'll be honest when I first heard about canyon races in carbon I was expecting like the canyon tracks of old NFS games :cool:

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Car tuneing is a really hard thing to get right it seems, i don't think i've played any racer with tuneing where it didn't cause problems, if nothing else, then atleast it has usually robbed the cars of their individuality, their special traits, as any tune job you do is allways aimed at making them better, thus making them all drive more and more similar.

I really think most games would be better off not including it at all, and just pitting cars of similar specs and performance up against eachother, maybe let the player tweak some things like how hard or soft they like their suspension, or gear ratios, small things like that, but tune kits have really spoiled alot of good games for me, you gotta upgrade or you will be left for dead, and once upgraded, there's little reason to drive one or the other car.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Forza's like that for the first half or so, but the further you progress in it the more strict the races become. Eventually you play nothing but "pro" series in which you cannot modify your cars at all beyond tweaking its settings.

Forza's even worse off in its first half, however, because while you get to modify your car all you want (within the event rules), all the opponent cars are unmodified. For most events this means you have a huge advantage over the AI cars, and races are more against yourself and/or the clock than the actual opponents.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Yeah thats another commen pitfall, the AI and tuneing, lots of potential problems there, and very few games have struck a decent balance with it.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
Developers of NFS should take a note from the developers of Burnout. Take your time with the game.

They can't physically do that as they only have 1 dedicated NFS team. They have to produce a NFS game a year, so the dev cycle for each NFS game has less than a year. Games like Burnout have the advantage of having several years in development.

dotnetbeast

Mood Muzik
Feb 14, 2006
Washington D.C.
They can't physically do that as they only have 1 dedicated NFS team. They have to produce a NFS game a year, so the dev cycle for each NFS game has less than a year. Games like Burnout have the advantage of having several years in development.

They have to? I dont think that they have to.