NFS: Undercover

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Forza's even worse off in its first half, however, because while you get to modify your car all you want (within the event rules), all the opponent cars are unmodified.
For most events this means you have a huge advantage over the AI cars, and races are more against yourself and/or the clock than the actual opponents.

I have to say I like that I can get an extreme advantage by modding/tuning the car in Forza.
It may not be fair, but to me that keeps the game fun.

However ... there's nothing to stop you from keeping your own car in the same class-rating as your opponents. IIRC there was one achievement linked to something of that nature.

OTOH I have to agree that it is at least odd to see your opponents use what appear to be unmodified cars for the entire game. I would have loved if they at least used some of the skins and other visual mods.

// ---
Anyways ... if EA has only one team for NFS then why is the game so random at every release ?
Why can they keep sports-games like Fifa that consistent even though they have the same release-schedule ?

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
Yeah thats another commen pitfall, the AI and tuneing, lots of potential problems there, and very few games have struck a decent balance with it.

Well it's so easy to code for the "catchup" AI, when making a racing game.

You know, where when you're ahead they are able to drive faster than what should be possible. And when you're behind they purposefully slow down in order to let you contend.

There are ways to program more responsive and realistic AI, but the catchup mode is much simpler. Sucks for us.

Balton

The Beast of Worship
Mar 6, 2001
Berlin

You know, where when you're ahead they are able to drive faster than what should be possible. And when you're behind they purposefully slow down in order to let you contend.

There are ways to program more responsive and realistic AI, but the catchup mode is much simpler. Sucks for us.

or you just play a game that does it right like racedriver GRID.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004

Yeah Like Need For Speed Underground 1. :lol:
Me and my Friend once went crazy about beating the WR in Olympic square, technically you had to smash the barriers at full speed with a fully tunned RX-7 in order to get enough speed for the rest of the race, braking would be terrifying on the clock.

So I just decided to try a head to head versus a AI player in some Impreza. He actually just passed by me in the curve while he was braking. That's where you truly could proof how ****ty it was coded.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
One thing I kinda hate about of alot of racing games is the AI has no self preservation it'll stick to its racing line even if you are coming it @ 200kmph for the tbone. Ofcoarse thats just one instance but running side by side or if they are infront of you they'll still break as early or push you outta the way to get on their line.

Last edited:

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000

if your opponents are off-screen then it's even easier ... just place them at the edge of a players view and give them a boost.

Such AI also appears to require fixed tracks. I doubt it would function in an open-world.

Back to 'Undercover' ...

Will they use UE3 (as EA has licensed it) or will they use their own engine ?

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Catchup AI is terrible, if i drive like a pillock then i deserve to be left in the dust, and if i drive like a champ i deserve to leave the others in my dust, catchup just removes any incentive to drive competitively, you can basically just phone it in untill the very end of the race, thats all that matters with catchup AI, the last streach, there's no point even bothering to try untill then, you will never leave the AI behind, they will never leave you, so you need only worry about it when you get to the finish line.

In games with AI like that, i actually find it more fun to compeate against my own time.. eh, when you take shortcuts to make a product, it will allways show.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
NFS dropped off my radar with Carbon. Then again, I only started playing with Underground.

Underground 2 failed to keep my interest. The open city bit just doesn't work well because unlike GTA, there's nothing to do when you're in between races.

It'd be great for the franchise and EA if Undercover turns out to be a good game. It would at least show that EA is dedicated to actually turning out quality entries in their series again.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
So it's a standard then. :)
The main game looks dull, collisions were extremely boxy and unrealistic, I hope he was on some uber noob difficulty or something. :hmm:

16MentalTempest

Out to lunch.
Mar 31, 2008
I'll definitely look into this one. I only started playing NFS with Porsche Unleashed, which rocked. I really like Most Wanted except for the AI, but that's already been discussed. I've got Prostreet and, well, it looks nice but to me the game is fairly similar to Gran Turismo 3, which I play a lot of. And I want the damn cop chases back!! :)

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Oh wow, looks like Most Wanted 2.0. Which is great. Hopefully it is better.
I just don't like the collision physics, they feel way too arcadish.

Lol, the Highway battle was gold, he learned off quickly that this isn't only about ramming ****ing cars, totaled! I want to play on the hardest difficulty setting where damages are lethal.

Last edited: