My Guns

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Carpetsmoker

Nexus-6
Jan 20, 2008
Netherlands
arp242.net
For now, about how much time goes into animating a weapon total?

I'm, not sure ... All I ever did was some "toy animating" with stick dolls and stuff ;)

But I think it shouldn't take too much time, the basics skeletal animation is pretty easy to learn/setup, and the weapon animations aren't terribly complicated ...

Kueltag

Jan 31, 2008
A good weapon or a bad one, as I read other Inf players' discussions, many of them will welcome any new weapons or equipment. Just like me. Unless it's that bad. :)

XClutchX

Jan 22, 2008
Unfortunately, Maya is limited to exporting in Maya files (.ma and .mb) and in .mov. Seems kind of pointless, doesn't it. I'll have to find some export plugin for Maya so I can import and export through a chain of programs until it's finally in .3DS format. :lol:

Edit: It's funny, I always seem to run into problems when I sit down and work on this stuff.

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Klagenfurt, Carinthia, Austria
Visit site
Edit: It's funny, I always seem to run into problems when I sit down and work on this stuff.
Welcome to Unreal Modding :D

That was bound to happen with the small maps, small teams, and inability to create a truly realistic combat environment with UT.
I beg to differ. Small teams and small maps do in no way promote the use of small weapons. I agree that strict CQB maps encourage the use of shorties, but there are many maps with enough space to manoeuver with a full size AR like the M16 even in buildings - hell, I seldom use SMGs in standard Inf because they're significantly less efefctive against body armor - and I've used the FAL in CQBish areas because I felt like it fitted the map (Belfast1972). If you start Inf COOP you usually even have larger maps which IMO encourage the use of full scale rifles - when playing non bulk restricted COOP all of my loadouts have a secondary SMG or Shotgun. When playing bulk restricted the closest thing to a SMG I use is a AKMSU - all other loadouts are rifles or carbines.

In my personal opinion shorties (no NOT shotties, well they too, but I meant G36C etc.) and SMGs are popular because many think they look cooler and they have the SecOps touch - not to mention they are more common in action movies. Don't get me wrong, all three weapons you plan to do fit Inf IMO - they're rather well known and actually used, it's just that my choices, if I were to do weapons, were different. But then I'm part of what remains of the community, so I'm happy with any additions that are not completely out of place.

[5thSFG]Mitchell

unexpected guest
Jul 17, 2008
Rome, Italy
In "normal" firefights, where distance of engagements vary from -50m to about +200m, there is no need for a rifle with great accuracy, but if you can choose your weapon, in CQB zone you'll mostly pick up a short rifle, which gives you all the firepower you need.
Ok, SMGs will have less recoil, but if I have to use almost an entire mag to eliminate a single enemy, I would have to carry a lot of mags, thus increasing my bulk.

On the contrary, if I am meant to engage enemies at higher distances, which is more than 300m, I will use a rifle which I know has good/great accuracy (which requires a longer barrel).

Oh, XClutchX: great pieces of work! :clap:

Last edited: