UT3 Makes Me Angry

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
No, not because of any of its flaws.

I'm talking about pure, unadulterated frustration during gameplay. I get angry when I lose a team deathmatch with bots. I get angry when a warfare match in campaign mode goes horribly astray. I get angry at being run-over and over in Warfare online. And boy did I get angry when I was playing a 2v1 CTF match and nearly, but didnt, get the flag home.

This frustration has led to me throwing mouses, trying to strangle my monitor, and even losing some skin from bashing my hand on my desk (some of my pinky got stuck in my mouse and it ripped off some flesh). Thusly I rather enjoy spectating matches more than dealing with frustrating encounters.

I do have fun with the game, but some times I get very, very, very angry.

Does anyone else get angry at UT3, or any other game? Any advice for a person who likes the game but doesn't want to bite a hand off from playing it?

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
No, I curse sometimes but I don't physically throw temper tantrums like a little kid. Sorry, I view it as a video game, nothing more.

GGA_Nate

I train people, not dogs.
Jan 20, 2008
Cincinnati, OH
www.myspace.com
This reminds me of playing Halo with a couple of my friends. No matter how amicable the games start out, inevitably it degenerates into a big fight, with insults being thrown around carelessly. I've actually slapped one of the guys before. Needless to say, we don't play Halo much anymore.

But with UT3, I only get pissed off whenever I'm playing someone much better than me, and all of my efforts seem futile.

[DUF]-Fragger

Jul 9, 2002
The Netherlands
Its just a game cmon.

Like JohnDoe641 said cursing is what a lot of people do i think, including me (F word). But physically throwing with things is not my thing.

I would suggest when you feel you going to be angry again, take a break for 15 minutes and start over :)

Gr Fragger

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
No, not because of any of its flaws.

I'm talking about pure, unadulterated frustration during gameplay. I get angry when I lose a team deathmatch with bots.
I tend to get extremely mad at bots when I get a badder KDR against them in DM, or get repetitively flak'ed. I never got that in previous UTs, especially not UT2004, given the fact that you're way more mobile, and the shield gun was extremely useful when you needed to go to a specific point without getting nuked to death.

You're no god in UT3, that's the fact.

My worse experience online, to date when I was playing one man army in VCTF-Necropolis, where my whole team was almost AFK or just messing around like a pair of useless crap. I kept returning the flag while carrying theirs. They obviously won, and the guy who cap'ed kept spamming the taunt button. I almost hit my screen, instead, I hit my desk multiple times and said "Yeah, keep at it idiot". Quit the game. Then lost interest in the game for it's core gameplay and lack of... blah blah.

You say UT3 is frustrating you. You're not the only one.
I just map for the game now. :D

By the way, CoD4 also frustrates me. It depends which server I play on, or if I don't get vote kicked for "doing too good" with a weapon some crowd really hate. But it's in the game right? So why not using it? Changing server is the best option, but given the fact that UT3 don't have much, servers with peop... Yeah. :(

Last edited:

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Every time I play a laggy BioHazard I just don't know what to do after getting killed by some IH spammers.

Actually, I either disconnect or disconnect.

Hedge-o-Matic

Dec 29, 2000
Visit site
Anger like this is a habit, learned through repetition. Try changing your attitude during play. When you're fragged, or run over, try to laugh it off, or appreciate the superior skills of your opposition. Then jump back into the game. Try using the chat feature to compliment a good opposition, or a worthy foe. Practice laughing it off when you get totally owned. That way, when you do well, you're having fun, and when you're getting your ass beat in, you're also having fun, just of a different kind.

Sudden rage you can't control won't stay confined to video games forever. And when you start acting out physically, it's a warning sign.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
I might get angry not in small ctf or warefare games online but more like if I am playing a racing game and I loose my last life on the last level, forcing me to restart the circuit.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Well my father told me that it was my red hair that caused me to have a temper for all these years. Not sure if thats just a saying, but I do on occasion have a temper when I am online or offline. Couple years ago the worst anger I ever had was when I put my fist through the wall, and I happend to be playing UT2k3 at the time :D I was also in college and wasnt doing that well to begin with so I guess there was more to it than getting my ass handed to me

Today I am pretty calm about it. Still cuss like a mad man but I dont go around screaming bloody murder and wishing death upon a pixel like people tend to do.

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
Depends on the abuse. If after a hard fought return with a flag I get killed mere feet from the stand I might grief the killer for a few minutes if this happens repeatedly. If it's clear our team is getting owned and the only thing I'm succeeding at is respawning I'll just tele or hammer around everywhere. This doesn't mean I wont grab a flag given the chance though. Either be useful or obnoxious (to the other team). You're never playing poorly enough not to be a distraction.
DM I could really care less about. FFA does little to excite me. 1-on-1 can be intenese but it's never been frustrating for me, even giving out WickedSicks to other players like hobos asking for loose change.

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
Meh, I experience some anger sometimes, more than in other games.
It's probably because of the level of focus you need to play at a respectable level in (T)DM and Duel.

When I play Mariokart and get repeatedly blue-shielded 5m before the finish line after being in the lead for 15 minutes straight and finish 8th, I'll yell at my gamecube about it and curse the game into hell, but it's a different kind of anger. It's an "omg, I can't believe what just happened, that is SO unfair" fun kind of anger/frustration.

Typically, I only get mad at UT when I am defeated by something silly.
Like getting stuck between the damn crates on Deck and rocket suiciding because of it, by a less skilled/equal opponent.
Or tri-roxing someone without shields twice, but have one of the hits do no damage at all. Or somehow always being targeted by two enemies right away when there's a 3-man battle in FFA. Generally just bad luck, or knowing that I could have/should have pulled something off but didn't.

Being raepd by superior opponents I have no problem with. I'll generally try to play against them for a while, see if they are A LOT better or just a little. In the latter case, I'll try and improve and figure them out. In the former case, I quit;)

Actually, one instance that comes to mind was a few weeks ago.
I was playing TDM, and doing pretty well. The enemy team was not a huge challenge, in the sense that there weren't any players that were really good by themselves or that I couldn't take in a fair fight.
Then about halfway through, my dog decides that she wants to go out into the back yard(she always does, really, but since I have to keep opening the door for her I try to keep it limited:p).
This in itself is not a problem, if it weren't for the fact that she kept standing on my mouse cord and putting her head on my lap to get my attention .. not ideal circumstances when you're trying to combo someone.
After I ended up firing rockets into my own feet twice and missing every single combo I attempted our team started losing, and I was becoming frustrated.
Our family was taught that if you want a dog to stop 'begging' like that you're supposed to grab them by their neck (pretty loose skin around that area, it's where wild dogs pick up their puppies) and push her away while loudly saying NO!
Well ... after I missed the match-winning shot because the dog decided to bump into my arm I decided it would be a good time to do this.

Problem is, I practically threw her halfway across the room in frustration...(A) (Not as bad as it sounds, we have wooden floors, so there's a lot of sliding;)).

At that point I decided it might be good to stop playing for a while.

Last edited: