UT3.5 or UT4?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hilo_

Jan 19, 2008
I also believe that a BIG bonus pack would benefit the game, though I'm not sure re-releasing it is gonna help much, it's only been out for a few months and you're already thinking of replacing it?

A bonus pack isn't going to draw players to a game they didn't buy in the first place. The only way to increase the depressingly-small player base of this game is to have a completely new release that draws in more players. At the very least, Epic should release a new demo, done right. My #1 problem with UT3 is not the menu, or the bugs, or whatever, it's that when I open the server broswer I see 0/xx all the way down the screen.

Noobnugget

Jan 10, 2006
Hal vs Noobnugget.. Place your bets! :lol:
i vote for the challenger.

Interesting about the consolification of UT3 on PC. Let's see, the speed on PS3 is slower than PC speed. The UI is argumentatively not all that bad but not that great either, but I do not see it as "consolized." Try looking at UT2004 menu, that is what a console menu looks like, IMO. Those big bold fonts on the main menu just scream, "hey, this is not your daddy's PC!"
When speaking of the UI it's consolized not only by its look, but also by how it's nearly devoid of configuration options for just about everything. Just like most console games.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
A bonus pack isn't going to draw players to a game they didn't buy in the first place. The only way to increase the depressingly-small player base of this game is to have a completely new release that draws in more players. At the very least, Epic should release a new demo, done right. My #1 problem with UT3 is not the menu, or the bugs, or whatever, it's that when I open the server broswer I see 0/xx all the way down the screen.

Yeah I think bonus packs only help keep your current customers happy. People that didn't buy the game or have stopped playing it probably won't even take much notice of bonus packs.
Unless of course an add-on significantly changes the game or adds something very new or different to it.

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
i vote for the challenger.

When speaking of the UI it's consolized not only by its look, but also by how it's nearly devoid of configuration options for just about everything. Just like most console games.
You crack my sh1t up! Any real UT player uses the .ini file, not the flippin' menu.

Wunderbar_007

.Lateral Thought.
Nov 11, 2005
Montreal
You're right there. Is it just me, or is it as soon as some people start posting messages on a UT3 thread it becomes a UT3 bashing/whining/flaming topic?

I also believe that a BIG bonus pack would benefit the game, though I'm not sure re-releasing it is gonna help much, it's only been out for a few months and you're already thinking of replacing it?

Yea, I was hoping it wouldn't become another bash thread cause that's not what I had in mind. Actually, I was hoping for (as I always am) some EPIC feedback more than anything.

Completely Agree :)

MARVO

I am in this thread.
Jan 20, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
The only way to increase the depressingly-small player base of this game is to have a completely new release

I disagree. It's one way, but not the only way. And if they did do that, you'd all bitch about them making you pay more money or something.

Noobnugget

Jan 10, 2006
You crack my sh1t up! Any real UT player uses the .ini file, not the flippin' menu.
And what if they happen to need to tweak a setting mid game? hm? In that case shutting down the game just to tweak one little thing isn't exactly ideal.

edit: oh and i should point out i don't mean just audio or visual settings in my last post. The game lacks heavily in instant action configuration too, compared to 2004

Last edited:

GGA_Nate

I train people, not dogs.
Jan 20, 2008
Cincinnati, OH
www.myspace.com
Jesus, shut up about UT3 being consolized. The GUI was written with the intent to be displayed on a television, not doubt about that. But honestly, the gameplay isn't any less consolized than previous UTs, if by "consolized" you mean simpler. Really, I don't know what consolized means. Hell, most if not almost all pc titles today also ship on one of the three major consoles. Is Call of Duty 4 a console game? What about Team Fortress 2? Calling something "consolized" doesn't mean anything, it's just a word disgruntled pc gamers love to throw out whenever they get their panties in a wad about something.

fuegerstef

Nov 7, 2003
KillingRoom
fuegerstef.de
It is only my speculation and how I interpret the consolized* argument:

-No vehicle view-zooming (would take away additional buttons on a controller).
-No spectation with player-cycling or view-zooming in vanilla version (would take away additional buttons on a controller).
-Wheeled vehicles steer like made for analog sticks.
-A few very, very minor things that escape me right now and might be added by an EDIT.

And of course the already mentioned UI.

*) Important: by "consolized" I don't mean that the PC version is a port of a console game, but the fact that EPIC tried to make one version for all platforms and release them at the same time. My view on things is that the above things I listed didn't make it in because of what EPIC tried (One version = only that stuff is put in that works in all versions). So in a certain way it is "consolized" by leaving out stuff that was common in all previous version of UT on the PC.

Last edited:

MARVO

I am in this thread.
Jan 20, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Obviously there would be a discount for the current UT3 owners if it were to happen

and how do you know this? even if there was a discount, unless its 100%, people will complain.

and i dont know if it was established yet in the thread that unreal engine 4 will 'target' the consoles but will not be exclusive to them. atleast thats what i got out of the article.

Last edited:

GGA_Nate

I train people, not dogs.
Jan 20, 2008
Cincinnati, OH
www.myspace.com
Anyway, it's sort of premature to be thinking about UT 4, so I'm going with UT 3.5. But then again, I don't know what you could include in UT 3.5. More maps and game modes? Are those going to help UT3? I really hope they wait awhile before starting on new addition to the series. I think the pc community has old school fps fatigue.

What I'd love to see them do is combine the Unreal series in a single game. Give us a true sequel to Unreal with the multiplayer of Unreal Tournament, and also try something new in this hypothetical game, something to get the series out of a rut, something that'll make people believe that when they are getting a significantly different experience, not just Unreal Tournament with a graphics upgrade.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
Unreal Tournament Zero ftw

Unreal Tournament Zero
Rough Storyline

You awake on the Vortex Rikers, a prison transport (1). A guard approaches your cell, "You're up", he says. For the amusement of the transport staff the captain organizes deathmatches between prisoners on the lower decks (2) of the Vortex Rikers. You have been selected to battle fellow inmates for a simluated deathmatch. You won't get killed, but it hurts like hell.

You are becoming quite good at these deathmatches. To spice things up, the captain decides to create teams of inmates to battle each other in a team deathmatch. Two teams are formed by the captain, and you are named leader of the red team. Both teams are granted some practice time. This was a wrong decision by the captain. You and your team mates plan to take over the ship after the next fight. Because you are gives live weapons you should be able to pull it off. All you need to do is manage to break out of the arenas. [something here about a lock in the map that has to be destroyed to open the doors, maybe domination would fit here]. You are able to break out of the arena.

You now have to battle the guards in order to get to the control deck. But things go horribly wrong, the ship's controls get damanged. The ship crashes into an unknown planet (3). When you wake the ship is heavily damaged and a lot of people are dead, including all but one of your team mates. You decide to get out of the ship before it explodes. But while trying to do so you are abused by some beasts (the Krall).

you and your team mate are being taken to a Skaarj camp site. With a lot of other prisoners already trapped. You are back at the beginning. The Skaarj are also organizing matches for their prisoners and slaves (i.e. you and others from the Vortex Rikers, but also the Krall, and crew from the ISV-Kran). You engage into a new series of team matches, varying from battling other teams to hordes of creatures (4). During these matches you lose and gain some team mates.

Fights continue and you are slowly becoming the strongest team. The Skaarj, being a hunting race, take notice. They decide to match up your team to a team of Skaarj. Your team wins, and again from a team of the best Skaarj hunters. Finally the Skaarj's Clan leader decides to take you on in a 1vs1 deatmatch. The match seems like it takes forever.

When you defeat the clan leader the other Skaarj are furious and start to attack you. When you almost gave up you are saved by marines from the NEG. Your story of a series of death matches reaches the [whatever the name is of these governing people], which gives them an idea to control violence between deep-space marines. You sign up with the Liandri Mining Corporation to set up the Unreal Tournament.

The End!

No, it's not. You form the first team in the Unreal Tournament. The Unreal Tournament starts out with normale death matches, CTF and Domination. Your team remains the most victorios team for years. But during the first match of a newly created form of death matches you get horribly injured (5). Only your brain survives. You signed up with Liandri _for life_, and they're not letting you go that easily. Using the latest technology you build you a new body. With a new body, comes a new name. You become: Xan.

The real End!

(1) Yes, the prison ship from Unreal. No, you're not prisoner 849.
(2) Deck 16 was on Vehicle Gaetan, not Vortex Rikers.
(3) Which later appears to be Na Pali
(4) i.e. Invasion
(5) could be Assault, or something completely new. A completely new gametype could be explained toward UT to be scrapped from the tournaments because it was so dangerous.

Last edited:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I don't know how you can say Epic left out minor options because they only wanted to make one version. All of that stuff could have simply been commented out of the PS3 version in mere moments. Vehicle handling? Epic spent a lot of time fine-tuning the PS3 version gameplay specifically for that platform. Why would it be a big deal to tweak something minor like vehicle handling as well?

I'm going to guess that you didn't know there already are differences between the two versions and that everything you just mentioned was simply preference.

fuegerstef

Nov 7, 2003
KillingRoom
fuegerstef.de
I'm going to guess that you didn't know there already are differences between the two versions and that everything you just mentioned was simply preference.

I know that there are differences. But it is my interpretation that for example the vehicle steering works better on analog sticks and was kept that way because of time reasons.

And I am in no way saying I am right, just how I think it might have been. I think so also because of the fact, that Mark mentioned that more than half of the staff at EPIC prefers controller over KB/M for playing UT3 and that all the testing we have seen is done with a controller. So yeah, you might be rioght, that it was preference. A preference I don't agree on in the vehicle gametypes, because to me it feels to controller-optimized.

Last edited:

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
And what if they happen to need to tweak a setting mid game? hm? In that case shutting down the game just to tweak one little thing isn't exactly ideal.
Seriously, do you make changes every time you play? Come on, there are enough option in the PC menu to make necessary overall changes without delving back into the .ini. What I'm talking about are advanced options for those who want to tweak the most out of their game. This does not apply to the average gamer.

The game lacks heavily in instant action configuration too, compared to 2004
That I will agree with this however, has nothing to do with "consolification" but more to do with some unfinished business, as it were.