UT3 DM-Reminiscence [alpha][dl][pics]

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

virgo47

Waiting for next UT
Jul 5, 2005
Bratislava, Slovakia
members.clanci.net
It was some time I made my last level and I decided that it's time for another one. In UT3 I rather started with a small map. ;-)

Name: DM-Reminiscence
Version: early alpha - fully playable
Download: http://deepblue.sk/~virgo/tmp/DM-Reminiscence.zip

Map is small in overall although both rooms are quite open (that might change later with adding some beams that will break the space). It contains all basic weapons and all shields except belt.

Please, let me know if you think it has any potential. ;-)

[screenshot]http://deepblue.sk/~virgo/tmp/remalpha1.jpg[/screenshot]
[screenshot]http://deepblue.sk/~virgo/tmp/remalpha2.jpg[/screenshot]

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
Its so weird how some people map, we are all diferent, but id never understand how someone could map out all the BSP of a level, i know this helps to be sure its fun, but i did almost the oposit and its scary, I made my map in 8 UT3 files, each file contained one room, I worked on this room, detailing it until final, then i moved on to the next room, this helped me make the map without having to build the whole level everytime i press the build all button.. then I just selected each room, and copied it into a final UT3 file. I recomend this for making high detail levels and fast level building. This way does have plenty of disadvantages though... hmmm interesting anyway... just strange, i could never do a level how you (and many others) do

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Its so weird how some people map, we are all diferent, but id never understand how someone could map out all the BSP of a level, i know this helps to be sure its fun, but i did almost the oposit and its scary, I made my map in 8 UT3 files, each file contained one room, I worked on this room, detailing it until final, then i moved on to the next room, this helped me make the map without having to build the whole level everytime i press the build all button.. then I just selected each room, and copied it into a final UT3 file. I recomend this for making high detail levels and fast level building. This way does have plenty of disadvantages though... hmmm interesting anyway... just strange, i could never do a level how you (and many others) do
Be fair. You were copying the layout of a map you already knew played well. The BSP-only route is for making sure your own original ideas actually work before you waste 50 hours of your life making it pretty. :p

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Not so bad,

I seriously think you could add a gap between the sniper and that upper health pad. I can reach the side of the wall but the floor it too tall for the player to reach. The design is pretty weirdo but still plays well after all.

virgo47

Waiting for next UT
Jul 5, 2005
Bratislava, Slovakia
members.clanci.net
Bazzwano: Generally I have a "problem" to detail maps and I mostly create maps gameplay > AVA. I want to try to balance it later - but let's face it - I focus on gameplay aspects (always did) and alpha testing is best way how you can change your layout without thinking about hours of work put into various assets previously. That's why even my alpha maps are playable. :) I need to try the level although I can guess how it works before - but I need to try it anyway because: 1) it just gives you more precise idea how it will play; 2) as an author I'm sometimes "blind" and misslead by my thoughts, playing it surpresses this element.

Leonardo: thanks ;-) it will be little toned down with "empty space" but hopefully without sacrificing maneuverability.

Kentham: I plan static mesh adjustment later - and you can go there with 2j+wd, easy one, no overpr0 timing needed. And it's just normal health (you nearly scared me - I had to check it :-)). That ledge is possible for players (although you need a bit of peace for that), bots ... I don't see how they could do it (now) and I'll see if I path it with some hammer-jump for them later (because there is nothing so important up there, although you have reasonable motivationto go there if you're up there near shock).

BTW: I decided to place weapons without ammo close to them and you have reasons to go to few places that are chosen as quite a strong pickup cluster (e.g. 4 vials + pack of ammo), also the way to health over the breast plate is spiced up with two ammo packs - and at least for bots it worked quite nice. I'll see much more later. Current situation motivates player to stay on upper level a lot. I'm not sure if one shield, health and flak is enough to pull you down, but even if not, many spawns are down there and you'll "like" to battle for upper level if you're killed and spawned there. At least that's my view of current state - which may change.

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
The bio gun rules this map with the gun below the jumppad, some ammo,helmet ,some health all above and around the same spot. The jumpad and goo gun locations don't go together so well. Allot of times going up that jumppad is suicide. Due to the fact people just goo you when you take it up. I think if you made that upper part more visible it would lower this some. Basically, you can camp up there and not be seen at all because of all the walls around. I feel if you got rid of some of the walls camping would be less of a problem.

Btw, your bots don't seem to get the thigh pads. They also don't like to get the helmet, but they do sometimes. I know this is an alpha, but I just thought I would mention it.

Last edited:

virgo47

Waiting for next UT
Jul 5, 2005
Bratislava, Slovakia
members.clanci.net
Bio and jumppad... yeah, I didn't think about this but there is reason behind this even from a few games I played against bot. I rather shuffle weapons a bit, because I don't want to open spaces much more. Good point, I'll check it out.

About bots and thigh pads - I played with masterful&inhuman and they take it. But I can make it more attractive for bots with something else.

Thanks for observations! :)

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
If you want, you could always add path weight. It's what I did in DM-Frigid. I took the sniper rifle, which no bot would go near, and added a simple +1 in path weight. It worked, I got the bots to go after the sniper and that fixed the whole problem.

virgo47

Waiting for next UT
Jul 5, 2005
Bratislava, Slovakia
members.clanci.net
Uff, SkaarjMaster, nice to see you :) what a bump.

I'm out of business since... well since the last post more or less, UT3 just never stuck on me, my online connectivity sucked - and with some more changes coming (I have now two more babies :-)) I simply let this part of my life go. Reminiscence was never finished.