Epic Games' Mark Rein: Consoles Taking Gamers Away From PC

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

MrMan

Jan 19, 2008
All I can say is..............

It Will Be A Cold Day In Hell Before I Play Any Online Multiplayer Game On A Console PERIOD!!!

Last edited:

i_hax

member since Jan07... didn't survive
Jan 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Trust me, Mac gaming was BIG back in the past.
I you play Halo nowadays you feel reminded of Marathon, Marathon 2 and Marathon Infinity (Marathon 1 and Infinity were Mac exclusives). The whole setting is so close to Halo that one must think that Bungie copied themselves.
Marathon introduced mutators to gaming (although they named it differently) and had a unique and great story, awesome graphics and gameplay-depth that the Mac folks laughed at the PC folks playing Doom at the same time.

I can't count how many times I've told that to people. Marathon was an EXCELLENT game, and the first I played vs. other people - my dad was lucky enough to get 3 computers and we had a small LAN (back in like 1995).

I still have the Marathon bundle (with the stickers!) in mint condition - I figure it'll be worth something someday.

Tidbit: You know the map Foundation in Halo 2? Anyone who played Marathon basically played that map 10 years before Halo came out... the two maps are nearly identical.

Last edited:

PointlesS

Mar 26, 2000
Visit site
and yet cod4...tf2 and quake wars...3 games released fairly close to ut3 are in the pc's top 10 most played according to gamespy...while ut3 falls just outside of 30...

at some point you have to stop making excuses for poor sales and admit failure

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
especially disappointing in Epics case becaiuse they are about to lose the modding community that they always tout so highly. 1/2 the modders left the UT scene when they saw the state the gme was released in and the other half are on the verge of jumping ship right now because of the sentiment in that article.
what youll be left with is a few n00bies who want to port some comicbook or movie character to the PS3 as a model and thats about it...

This is a good point. In addition to having low player counts, UT3's problems are being compounded by a lack of custom maps and mods. I'm merely a novice mapper, having released 5 CTF maps for UT99, and I have a UT3 CTF map that's all cut out and textured, but I've lost all desire to keep working on it. Who wants to invest time mapping for a dead game? I'd be better off making Invasion-Monster-Mash-RPG maps for UT 2004.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
and yet cod4...tf2 and quake wars...3 games released fairly close to ut3 are in the pc's top 10 most played according to gamespy...while ut3 falls just outside of 30...

at some point you have to stop making excuses for poor sales and admit failure
For the record, QW is between UT3 and UT2004 in popularity. GS lies; use this instead.

Apr 11, 2006
I can't count how many times I've told that to people. Marathon was an EXCELLENT game, and the first I played vs. other people - my dad was lucky enough to get 3 computers and we had a small LAN (back in like 1995).

I still have the Marathon bundle (with the stickers!) in mint condition - I figure it'll be worth something someday.

Tidbit: You know the map Foundation in Halo 2? Anyone who played Marathon basically played that map 10 years before Halo came out... the two maps are nearly identical.

Supposedly Gemini is the same as Duality as well.

A bit of self-pimpage here, Marathon: Resurrection (http://resurrection.bungie.org/)

We have a release out that's complete and playable, but still actively developing. Seeking to address criticisms & bugs with our previous release, as well as polish everything, add CoOp play, and make use of some cool utilities that the rest of the UT1 community has come up with.

Recently I've been thinking of making a Halo netmap or two (probably Wizard) for kicks.

UndeadRoadkill

Mar 26, 2001
This is a good point. In addition to having low player counts, UT3's problems are being compounded by a lack of custom maps and mods. I'm merely a novice mapper, having released 5 CTF maps for UT99, and I have a UT3 CTF map that's all cut out and textured, but I've lost all desire to keep working on it. Who wants to invest time mapping for a dead game? I'd be better off making Invasion-Monster-Mash-RPG maps for UT 2004.

Keep UT2K4 alive, I say!

I just got banned at the official forums for posting in a thread where someone asked why they can't find anyone to play with online, saying I can't many servers, either. Apparently, Epic's message to disappointed customers (or in this case, PC players wondering what's going on with the product they bought) is "go f#$% yourself, we already have your money. Make us a mod or something."

So with that, I decided to borrow a friend's GeForce 7950 to replace my 8800 until either nvidia gets their drivrs together and makes it work with ut2k4 in windows xp, or I have another hard drive to install crysis or something on, and to hell with UT3 in the meantime. I really wish it wasn't like this, but UT3 is too half-baked in its current state to hold my attention, and Mark Rein's promise of "more cool stuff" is pretty damn hard to swallow at this point.

So, I've been setting up an RPG game administered by mapmixer, using the Ballistic Weapons mod and a whole bunch of custom mutators. I'm having a blast, this beats UT3, and I would love to see people continuing to make maps and custom content for this ut2k4. So make some invasion maps, I'll toss them into mapmixer rotation with the other gametypes.

i_hax

member since Jan07... didn't survive
Jan 21, 2008
Ontario, Canada
So with that, I decided to borrow a friend's GeForce 7950 to replace my 8800 until either nvidia gets their drivrs together and makes it work with ut2k4 in windows xp

Which 8800? I'm running the newest of the bunch, 8800GTS 512mb, and it runs fine (400+fps acceptable? :D) under 169.28 drivers.

UndeadRoadkill

Mar 26, 2001
Which 8800? I'm running the newest of the bunch, 8800GTS 512mb, and it runs fine (400+fps acceptable? :D) under 169.28 drivers.

I have an 8800GTX 768, one I bought a year ago, which has never worked with ut2k4 in windows xp under any driver version. I've talked to nvidia support, they told me that it's on their To Do list to fix, but they won't have it fixed in the "near" future.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Also guys this interview wasn't about PC gaming being dead or dying, it was about consoles stealing PC gamers which happens.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
To me it was about the "surprising" fact that UT3 was far less successful than GOW. Ok, maybe not as the main topic, but a little backlash once in a while helps getting the feet onto the ground again.

Last edited:

Noobnugget

Jan 10, 2006
That article made me lol when i read it on dailytech the other day. As much as i hate to break it to mr. rein.. Consoles aren't the reason why UT3 is failing on the pc. But i guess if it helps him sleep better at night he can keep telling himself it's consoles.

unbecoming

The Money U Could Be Saving W/out Barry
Jan 21, 2008
St.Louis,MO
it's sinking,save yourself.

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?p=25271727&posted=1#post25271727

This link I respectively posted yesterday was removed and War sent me to the corner with infractions,yet this dude posted it and it's all good wth?

I think anyone who is not a sheep should really watch what they say over there.Sugarcoating does nothing.I am not a hater either.I said it many times I have a few issues,yet I still like the game,even in it's 80% stage.

Is this reality?I mean where UT3 is,going,and what the Iran Forums have become?It's just mind boggling for me.I talked this game up to no end and had great expectations for it to finally become a well known name and earn the title for the best FPS out there.Now look at the state everything is in.It's strange how things have and are working out.Even as I work on this level in UED I question myself wtf am I doing?Helping to promote a sub par product while being kicked around from those I am trying to help,and all along they tell me I am the problem.

Uughhh.:( feeling like such a wh0r3 right now.

I think after this level it's time to go back to back to 2k4.The main reason for this would be because I like to play against people,not bots.Your browser may show something different altogether,but mine shows 5 servers pinging under 100 (w/5mb connection) and they are almost always completely empty even on Fri and Sats.

I guess it's time to pick up that controller and play with the vehikalz.

:rolleyes: yeah right.I'd rather knit me up a scarf. ;)

Grasshopper

Jan 21, 2008
Upstate NY
Exactly! Developers focusing on consoles, because they can make more bucks with this and PC-s usally get lousy console ports or in some "better" scenarios they have irritating console elements in them.

They went with the money for sales. They still expect PC gamers (that they turned their back on) to develop maps and mods for them. Mark wants "the community to fill the holes.

toniglandyl

internal data fragmentation : 62203480%
Jan 20, 2006
diceedge.blogspot.com
They went with the money for sales. They still expect PC gamers (that they turned their back on) to develop maps and mods for them. Mark wants "the community to fill the holes.

yeh, that's kinda sad. Before, I was thinking that was a hint to show how great the unreal community is, but now it's more about the community filling the gaps made by EPIC :(

they actually expect the PC modders to be the N.1 selling point of UT3 on consoles. instead of being a great game, UT3 is a good game with modders making great stuff.
I'm not saying EPIC did bad stuff, it's just lacking things, and having another year of development might have got things perfectly.

Bonus packs, I'm waiting for you.

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
yeh, that's kinda sad. Before, I was thinking that was a hint to show how great the unreal community is, but now it's more about the community filling the gaps made by EPIC :(

they actually expect the PC modders to be the N.1 selling point of UT3 on consoles. instead of being a great game, UT3 is a good game with modders making great stuff.

It definitely appears to be that way with this version ... and it is a shame because really the engine is so nice and what UE3 allows a dev to do is amazing but Epic really made a major error in this dept. They have free cheap labor and this time around they are really exploiting that fact. If it weren't for modders this version would have failed completely in about two months whereas UT2K4, when it was first released, was fantastic and even if no one modded it UT2K4 would have lasted for months and months ... maybe longer ... it is really an excellent game on its feet. Too bad UT3 didn't receive the same kind of attention to detail UT2K4 did but after Gears was so successful on the 360 I think we all knew this was coming. Now if Gears had just bombed and bombed horribly UT3 would be amazing and near perfection and only on the PC ... that much I have no doubts about. So it is ironic that we all wanted Gears to be this amazing game that really shook up the gaming world and now that it has it has also undermined and seriously damaged UT3 and PC gaming (seeing as how the Unreal Engine is used is soooo many games .. I also wonder if this is affecting their outlook on UT these days).

[DUF]-Fragger

Jul 9, 2002
The Netherlands
The fact that players are going to the consoles is just what Epic/Midway had in mind imo (more sales, more money), and slowly they let us the pc players with this sort of carbage behind.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
The fact that players are going to the consoles is just what Epic/Midway had in mind imo (more sales, more money), and slowly they let us the pc players with this sort of carbage behind.

Problem for Epic is with the UT series they need modders to add value to the game ... no modders = Epic fail for any UT game going further. And when you go onto the forums and see how few modders from the UT2k4 days are doing anything worthwhile for UT3 it is indeed troubling for those of us who have been around at least since the days of UT2K3 when the MSU was first announced and a glut of content (some really outstanding) was available. But as I have stated previously when you cripple some of the features that modders are used to having access to (voice packs, full custom models with custom gibs, animations, etc) you are basically just gutting creative elements from the game. Not a good thing when your model for success for this franchise is predicated on how much support modders give the game.