Epic Games' Mark Rein: Consoles Taking Gamers Away From PC

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Emmet Otter

I miss XMP :(
May 26, 2003
Home of the NHL Devils
Visit site
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=10562

PC gamers moving to consoles for their online shooters

Although the PC represents gaming’s latest technologies, gamers are flocking to consoles for their entertainment. No other company is more aware of this fact than Epic Games, maker of Unreal Tournament and Gears of War.

Once a hardcore PC games developer, Epic now finds itself split between computer and console development. Gears of War on the Xbox 360 was an instant success in 2006, but Unreal Tournament III failed to make the same mark on the PC in 2007.

In an interview with Guardian Unlimited, Mark Rein related one of his experiences regarding the shift of first-person shooters from PC to console. “When Call of Duty 4 came out, I heard some of our guys sitting around talking about the great game they'd had last night and I'm like, 'Hey guys, what server are you playing on? I'd love to come and join you,' and they said, 'Just send us a friends request,'” he said.

“It was at that point I realized they were all playing it on console. Plus, the sales of the console versions are something like ten times the sales of the PC versions,” Rein said, affirming an earlier statement. “I'm a real fan of the PC, but yes, consoles are definitely stealing a lot of hardcore gamers from the PC.”

One thing easing Epic’s development on consoles is the emergence of multiplayer-centric gaming. Thanks to the current generation’s connectivity options, Epic is able to translate nearly all of the PC gameplay and options to the console. For example, the PlayStation 3 version of Unreal Tournament III supports most of the modifications available on the PC, partially due to Sony’s open approach to online services.

“I think Sony are real pioneers in this - I think they deserve a lot of credit for letting us do this,” said Rein. “They're really doing something different, and it hints at what they want to do with the PlayStation Network in the future. They're definitely on the right track!”

According to NPD data, PC gaming made up 14 percent of retail games sales in 2007. Besides the growing popularity of the new gaming consoles, the low percentage attributed to PC gaming can also be explained by the lower price of PC games, plus the emergence of digital distribution.

Larkin

Gone
Apr 4, 2006
Why all the surprise about this? It's not like PC gaming hasn't been dieing for years now. I understand people's disappointment though. Its hard to see something you love die, but it happens and at least this time you could see it coming.

Oh and please don't think that piracy is why PC gaming is dieing. PC gaming was dieing WAY before piracy ever became a problem.

Pser

Jan 29, 2008
i wonder how piracy affects WoW or CS. And i dont hear Blizzard or Valve complaining. Maybe it has something to do with game quality. That article is sure just another sad excuse, btw there are the sales numbers for PS3. Hidden for some reason?

Last edited:

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
www.dailytech.com/Epic+Games+Mark+Rein+Consoles+Taking+Gamers+Away+From+PC/ ARGH!

grrr... i was just going to post this article cause it made me sick... what a sad $#@!^*! these comments are...

consoles are stealing PC gamers?! wtf - i dont think so. Developers who make games FOR consoles and IGNORE their PC "bread and butter" customers are what ruins a game for the PC. dont look at the SAD state of UT3 on the PC and say a bunch of marketing crap to cover up the Ridiculous, Horrendous, marketing and development MISTAKES that were made with UT3...

gee the game wasnt the smash hit we all envisioned on PC. Must be because consoles are more popular and stealing our customers away?!?!?! wtf - wrong answer. alot of other pc games are selling just fine and have large online player bases.

PC gamers were ready to embrace UT3 as the best thing since UT and (guess who) blew it?! not us. No, us PC gamers are still here, and UT fans are still here waiting for that game we were promised to butter our bread with...

jeeez that article pissed me off, now i know writers and rags get quotes and info. wrong all the time but - Mark Rein, i thought (i know) you are smarter than that.

Consoles dont steal pc gamers. PC Developers making games for consoles do.

Last edited:

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
consoles are stealing PC gamers?! wtf - i dont think so. Developers who make games FOR consoles and IGNORE their PC "bread and butter" customers are what ruins a game for the PC.

Exactly! Developers focusing on consoles, because they can make more bucks with this and PC-s usally get lousy console ports or in some "better" scenarios they have irritating console elements in them.

FPS.HeadShot

Jan 31, 2008
cod4
consoles are gay FTW

they sold out, i dont really care im pissed about the game and will continue to be pissed at the game. I still play it from time to time but heck i like ut2004 better, and by far cod4 is the better game this year.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
PC gaming was dieing WAY before piracy ever became a problem.
PC gaming was NOT dying until just recently. Now that consoles have interbutts, custom content downloading, patching, and can produce similar image quality for $1000 less, there's not much of a reason to go PC anymore. For RTS and FPS you can even attach a keyboard and mouse, and at that point, there's zero benefit to being on a PC as far as a gaming platform goes. Before the current generation (360, PS3) PC gaming was not dying at all because PC had an advantage in some way(s). Not so much anymore.

But I agree with Grrl. Epic completely f**ked up with UT3 and now Rein's trying to blame outside influences instead of taking responsibility for -- yet again -- choosing a terrible publisher, consolizing their latest game (UT2003 was originally being developed for Xbox), and pushing the game out the doors way too early. They will never learn.

Hmm... This story is sig-worthy, I think, but paraphrasing was necessary. :)

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
We all knew that already, didn't we?

True, but now it's more likely 100% official and it hurts.

It makes me just want to scream about how UT3 is consolized and all the next titles from Epic Games should be the $ame in the near future. If another Epic title is getting consolized again (Espeically another UT) I'll just drop the ball, not just because a game is designed for the PS3 has to look, have the same UI and compression system (Man I hate cooking) than the PC version.

What are the UT3 PC buyers that plans on modding for the game? A bunch of Non-Paid employees feeding the PS3 players.
"Is there a Ps3 version?" "Ps3 version of teh map plz llol"

Last edited:

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Heres a thought I'll just throw out there, do you think its comments like what mark makes here about the console version of COD4 vs the PC COD4 is what is giving gamers the wrong perception of PC in the first place?

Lets not mention it took a year for Gears of war to hit PC and the friends thingo in UT3 vs 2k4 is pretty horrible so if you associate friends requests with consoles in my eyes you must play alot more console than PC. Like steam has had friends requests for a long time now and plenty of other PC games have that feature.

How about instead of yes consoles are stealing hardcore gamers from PC, mark says, lets steal all the hardcore gamers back for PC! If you want to be an industry leader atleast recognize the swing you actually possess with alot of people, everytime you say something like this or negative about PC its just one more gamer we lose to console. Infact every time you say you play such and such on a console, its about games here, games sell platforms not the opposite.

Last edited:

cubemario

Cubely Wrath
Apr 5, 2005
Canada, Alberta, Calgary
Too much misinformation in this topic. PC gaming is fine, sure it isn't what it used to be, but what is these days?

World of warcraft still has a huge amount of players.
Many of blizzard's games are still very popular today.
Many of valve's games are still very popular today, the orange box was a huge success, and counter-strike and counter-strike source still have a huge amount of players.
The sims, expansions and sequels are selling left and right.
COD4 for the PC has a large amount of players as well.

Where are you people getting your facts from? Yes it's true consoles sell more, but that's for obvious reasons. Still doesn't change the fact the PC has a lot of games still being played a lot. The reasons for ut3's failure is lack of advertisement and that it was designed more with consoles in mind.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
consoles are stealing PC gamers?! wtf - i dont think so. Developers who make games FOR consoles and IGNORE their PC "bread and butter" customers are what ruins a game for the PC.

You said it, what's killing the PC is not that interest isen't there for the platform, its that there are no games for it anymore!

What was released PC only last year? Stalker comes to mind, GTR2? or was that the year before? FSX? Red Orchestra? Arma? some of thouse might also be 2006 actually, uhmm.. Hellgate London? The witcher? there should be some more, but i honestly cannot remember!

The rest have been an ocean of console games, and bad ports to the PC, ports that not only have many shortcommings due to technical limitations of consoles, but are no fun either because they are way too easy to beat with a mouse and keyboard!

I see it all the time on gaming boards, the dreaded "what console should i get" threads, and the reason people want to buy a console is not that they have no more love for their PC, they certainly do! nor is it that they enjoy console games more than PC games, they don't, its that there are only a handfull of PC games released annually thease days, and people figure "well, if they are going to force me to play console games, perhabs i should just get a console, maybe the games will actually be fun on their intended platform..".

Even i have considdered it, i must admit it, waiting for that handfull of games that will be made for the PC is getting very dull indeed! the only thing i am looking forward to this year is Clear Skies, that seems to be the only PC game that will hit the shelves any time soon.
Only reason i haven't is that i would also have to buy a good HDTV, all i have is a 14" junker that i got from dumpster diving (i really have very little need for a TV).

And it is getting harder all the time, as more and more long standing franchises jump ship and go console (yeah, we can include UT there!), are there even any left for the PC now? or are they all officially cross platform now? it seems all we have left are MMO's, and i honestly don't care for thouse.

It is absolutely true that people are moving to the consoles, but it is not a voulentary migration! its a matter of moving or staying behind and starving to death! a situation created by the Bizz, not by us gamers.

Well thank hell for Russia and the old East blok! atleast there they still make games for the PC, За Родйну! you magnificent bastards, i salute you!

Taleweaver

Wandering spirit
May 11, 2004
Off course
grrr... i was just going to post this article cause it made me sick... what a sad $#@!^*! these comments are...

consoles are stealing PC gamers?! wtf - i dont think so. Developers who make games FOR consoles and IGNORE their PC "bread and butter" customers are what ruins a game for the PC. dont look at the SAD state of UT3 on the PC and say a bunch of marketing crap to cover up the Ridiculous, Horrendous, marketing and development MISTAKES that were made with UT3...

gee the game wasnt the smash hit we all envisioned on PC. Must be because consoles are more popular and stealing our customers away?!?!?! wtf - wrong answer. alot of other pc games are selling just fine and have large online player bases.

PC gamers were ready to embrace UT3 as the best thing since UT and (guess who) blew it?! not us. No, us PC gamers are still here, and UT fans are still here waiting for that game we were promised to butter our bread with...

jeeez that article pissed me off, now i know writers and rags get quotes and info. wrong all the time but - Mark Rein, i thought (i know) you are smarter than that.

Consoles dont steal pc gamers. PC Developers making games for consoles do.
I love you, Grrl.

See, I wouldn't mind if consoles totally took over the PC gaming thing if it wasn't that things suddenly have to be simplified to fit the different environment. The result: we're staring at huge empty menu screens because they're designed for the television screen. Everything from the UT series that requires more learning time than 5 minutes is nerfed or gone. Every promise between the demo and the full game got ignored. As well as most other things that were promised (seemless loading? more communicative bot AI? A better singleplayer experience?)
F***...they advertised it as "From the company that brought you gears of war!" Way to throw in your own windows, Epic...GoW wasn't available for PC until a couple weeks before you released UT3. :rolleyes: You gave people the choice between going for Gears, or trying out a beta demo...
From which pretty much zero feedback made it to the full game because you were busy breaking the promise of bringing out the game "when it's done".

Consoles didn't steal anything...it's just that we - the PC community - were thought of as an asset. We got the game so we could build maps and Mods for consoles. Or do you think it's coincidence that it's already perfectly possible to cook maps to be transferred to consoles, yet a half reliant ban system or webadmin only just went in beta?

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
IMHO Epic didn't piss of gamers by releasing an unfinished game, again. It's more the fact that they don't admit their ****-up and instead proceed to claim UT3 was done when they released it. In my eyes, that really hurts their reputation as a serious company.
It actually might already be too late for them even if they confess now. The UT franchise might already received the critical hit now and never recover from this stupid marketing move.

Last edited:

Emmet Otter

I miss XMP :(
May 26, 2003
Home of the NHL Devils
Visit site
Mark is a total jackass! Everyone here knows, and in many other forums, this game is so consolized and incomplete, except him! PC UT was always the game that you can customize til' your hearts content. Now we have a beutiful shooter with great movement that hardly has any of the features that made UT so unique. They royally screwed up! Thay are at a slugs pace to patch and fix this game which does'nt help.

Did'nt it ever occur to them that more PC versions sold would possibly produce more user custom content made to further flourish more overall platform sales!?!? Custom contents is what keeps the series holding up!

I still have'nt bought this game and am still waiting for that final patch that would fix everything before I decide to lay down my $50:mad:

Mark Reign, you can go smoke a dry turd!!

*edit* Dont support consoles by cooking content for them!

Last edited:

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Heh, evil.
ugly.gif