XMP sooo much better than UT2K4

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead_Metal

I'm something - But I don't know what.
Feb 13, 2004
pfft - Quackers

:eek: :( Right, okay, um, QUACKERS.....pfft nm....I'll go back to looking for AI coding X_X ....

headwire

ranger extraordinaire
Dec 28, 2003
I like UT2004 because it is playable. XMP for my computer, for whatever reason, is not. XMP has better gameplay by far (debatable), but I'll be lucky not to get a slideshow when playing it. I will be playing both for 12 Monkeyz, because both games are great titles that follow their brief.

XMP = Team based tactical play.
UT2004 = Fragfest.

Both are great examples of their genre, and I would rather play both than get stuck in this war. :|

BulletProof

...I wish I was
Mar 27, 2002
Maryland, U.S.
Visit site
[xF]PR3D470R said:
I think they are both good in their own ways. Really I treat these as two different games (well, b/c they are :D). I like XMP for it's strategy. I like UT(99,2k3,2k4) for it's more fast paced gameplay. Both look great and play great, although UT2K4 has XMP beat on vehicles ;) I do like the new game type, Onslaught, albeit not as advanced as XMP, it does bring a new twist on UT. XMP is really nothing like any game I've played before. The minute I played it I was hooked, same way w/ UT. In conclusion:

XMP: :tup:
UT(99,2k3,2k4): :tup:

agreed

Houdini-GG

I've been described as hot, videogames..
Dec 30, 2003
Colorado Springs
When I first fired up ONS I was like "omg, this is a fragfest". But now after realizing that the game has depth and much more to offer in terms of vehicles/weapons than XMP, im sold. Also it runs a lot better.

In ONS u have to first capture a node, then defend that node while trying to secure the next node for a lock. While this is going on, u can also attack the other team who is "presumably" doing the same thing u are doing. Last night at the start of the map, I attacked the enemies undefended and unlocked node while they tried to get the next node up the chain, making them have to come back and defend against me.

Its not just a frag fest, theres thinking involved. Probabally not as much as XMP and that may just be because you have more time to stand still and think in XMP than u do in ONS?
At least in ONS there is no "lone wolf" like there is in XMP. XMP being a classed-based FPS does not make u rely on your teammates enough to win. theres no "must have" codependancy in XMP, not enough for me to judge it as a true team-heavy classed-based game.

XMP's vehicles are weak and drive way too slow to be effective as a forward assualting vehicle (not the raptor). The alt fire on the juggy is useless, the rear cannon on the harby is useless, the rockets on the harby have too small of a splash radius as well. (i'd rather have it fire slow and strong than fast and useless) All 3 vehicles blow up too quickly at the hands of any of the classes (all 3 classes can easily destroy a vehicle.. thats not classed based! classed based would mean a Ranger would need a Tech or Gunner-preferred to blow up a tank but they dont, wheres the dependancy?) XMP's new maps are too big for only 3 vehicles, the vehicles in 2k4 own XMP's in relation to use on the map.

cant really say anything about the weps in 2k4,they even the playing field. What I will say is, why does each class have a wep that will do the same job as the other classes? (minus the sniper)
Each class in XMP has a wep to destroy turrets/fences/vehicles (rox,emp nades,shocklance) a wep to blind or confuse the enemy (conc nades/gas/smoke) a weapon thats deadly against players (snipe/flame/alt shotty)
the only difference in XMP with its classes are the deployables, because each class in XMP has a wep that kills in the same way any other class does, and those deployables arent exactly works of engineering marvels either.
and thats classed based???

You give your attacking player aka the "Ranger" an anti deployable wep, the fastest movement and a way to hide himself with nades and then tell tell him to go on his way to the enemies base alone, because he is equipped enough to do all the same damage to the enemy as a Tech or Gunner. Where is the need for his teamates? Surely a person can't be led to believe that when XMP was created that the devs thought the only person on offense ought to be a Ranger? If they expected other teammates to help out with offense, they wouldnt have given a Ranger so many weapons to beat the enemy. While leaving the only decent way to get to the enemies base is by a slow moving, under-amored vehicle? By the time any sort of support gets to the enemies base to help the Ranger, he may very well be one his way back to his side with an artifact. bottom line: theres no dependancy amongst the classes, or not nearly enough.

I wish XMP would(would've?) succeeded. but as it stands now, I can get the same amount of team play with more weapon and better balance out of a more "performance friendly" game.
good thing Tribes3 isnt coming out til the end of this year, because XMP is 251 players from being exstinct :(

(i say all this because i'd love to see XMP succeed)

Last edited:

Dead_Metal

Feb 13, 2004
More Quackers?

Houdini........try actually looking at the screen when you play next time.... you might catch something....Like the weapons given to the classes in XMP is so that if they get caught in the middle of no where they can handle a situation and not get bum *&$K@! while his team mates are dealing with their' own problems.....the weapons are balanced in xmp and well in ut2004 they are meant to be that way....hello -> unreal tournament........plus the vehicles? er um yah er um uh what? huh what er um ah ..........thats all I can say for what you said......no offense but the vehicles are good for the purposes they served....although i do wish they had the plane (forget the name) from ut2k4 demo on XMP :D would be fun flying around X_X
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

headwire

ranger extraordinaire
Dec 28, 2003
I wish I could make sense of Houdini's post ... but I got lost in bad grammar and spelling mistakes. Bleh.

headwire

ranger extraordinaire
Dec 28, 2003
But seriously, I think most of Houdini's opinions are just wrong ... but that's what opinons are for.

Houdini-GG

Dec 30, 2003
Colorado Springs
well i didnt expect to come into a thread with this title and expect a warm reception. duh :)
if u take the time to read what i wrote, i back up my opinion with facts and/or opinions. It's as well thoughtout as any post in a gaming forum. regardless of my grammar mistakes (i was in a hurry), u can easily see my points and counterpoints.

rather than half-ass arguing about my grammar or writing like Dead Metal and making no point at all, come back with something constructive. Like I said, I would love to see XMP succeed, I gain mcuh more by its successes and nothing by its failures.

Maybe I'm not playing XMP for a different reason than most folks, however the stats dont lie, even during its "high point", XMP's numbers didnt scratch the top 15.

DJM312

Beta tester
Oct 3, 2003
Bristol,Ct.
Visit site
Houdini , what are you talking about ? I played onslaught I took out vehicles no problem with an average weapon - so don't give me this bs . As for team play in XMP , if you play with the right people you'll see team play . Peace - (Beta)Dman .

Houdini-GG

Dec 30, 2003
Colorado Springs
Dman: yes, i totally agree that the vehicles in 2k4 can be beaten, and its not terribly difficult. i agree on that. however, the vehicles respawn faster and move quicker, they also have better firepower.
in XMP the vehicles don't last in a battle, but the nature of that game: more strategic and larger-scale. In 2k4 the vehicles are fast and furious like the gameplay, it mixes in perfect, the vehicles in XMP dont blend well with the game type. Sure they are slow like the gameplay, but they are also very innefective. I have seen more than my share of newbies and veterans alike show their disgust for XMP's vehicles. Hell, read a lot of teh 2k4 threads and see how many people say "I wish XMP's vehicles were useful like these".

also when i play XMP i play with some of the best players in the game on MyU1. I see teamwork, but its more like "1 or 2 Rangers on Offense and thats all we need. everyone else go hack 1 or 2 deploy points and we're golden". There isn't as much dependancy amongst the classes as I wouldve hoped for. I guess Tribes spoiled me? a perfect mix of gameplay/speed/vehicles/classes/objectives. I know they are different games, but the similarities are glaring.

Dru998

Ra/\/Ger
Feb 1, 2004
ROFL look what I started :stick:.
I really hope XMP sticks around. I personally Believe its the best FPS out there at the moment hands down :2thumb:. XMP just seems so much more advanced. UT2K4 just seems primative in my eyes. I'd really like to thank Legend Entertainment for making XMP the great game that it is. Their hard work really shows. It's sad that they were fired. Seems like the gaming industry is all about how much money can be made and not about the games :rolleyes:. It's just sad. Seems like the really good games get shutout for some inferior hyped up garbage game. Just like BlackIsle with Fallout 3 :con:

Dead_Metal

Feb 13, 2004
yeah its kinda like that ....

DJM312 is to rock!!......yes.....awwww houdini likes me ;)

Dead_Metal

Feb 13, 2004
awwww

You heart me?.....Is that like "be my valentine" or something.....? no thanks i'm taken X_X

Houdini-GG

Dec 30, 2003
Colorado Springs
oh youre just playing hard to get. I'm on to you.
Heres your valentines day card Metal, its has a picture of a train on it. It says "Choo Choo Choose Me"

Andr01d

yeah right...
Jan 4, 2004
www.warpstone.tk
I played UT2004 for a while today.. and i must say.. the vehicles own so much more... And UT2004 will have a lot bigger community.. so more vehicles will come.. I loved gutblowing with the raptor..but the scorpion totally owns with its cool knifes!.. and its just fun to fly around in one of those planes and dodging missiles.. just 2 bad there isnt a Leviathan in the demo..

All we need now is a mod to make ut2k4 just like xmp.. xept the vehicles :)

headwire

ranger extraordinaire
Dec 28, 2003
XMP with 2004 vehicles would be enough to sell me to XMP completely. At the moment, I am stuck between the two. XMP is definitely better for teamplay... Onslaught has flaws but so does XMP. When comparing the two, it is hard to decide. Baaah.

Status
Not open for further replies.