Why an expansion?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
Why? all we want are games optimized for our hardware, is that really asking so much?

Indeed. In this day and age, it shouldn't be hard to design your UI in a modular manner such that you can design separate UIs for each platform.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
Indeed. In this day and age, it shouldn't be hard to design your UI in a modular manner such that you can design separate UIs for each platform.
And it's not even (totally) about that. People have complained a lot about how UT3 is so CPU-bound while the GPU(s) almost sit around idly in comparison. This makes sense, though, when you realize that both current consoles have gobs of CPU power, not much RAM, and only mediocre GPUs. The code wasn't optimized to work with all the superior hardware PC gamers usually have. :eek:

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
I think Unreal Engine has always been more CPU intensive than GPU. That's nothing new.

EDIT: Besides, who cares if your GPU isn't being used fully? NVIDIA's PhysX has you covered! Now you can burn those excess GPU cycles on stuff very few people care about!

Last edited:

Mr. UglyPants

2007 never existed, it was all a dream.
Aug 22, 2005
Canada... eh
Epic definition of expansion-

Get game out of beta stage keeping it simple for mass appeal.
Add a bit of content and a figurine.
Change color and add a heavier clear coat to the bait.
Resell at Christmas under new name because too many know what UT3 means.Do not release any demo.Make them buy it to try it.Censor and ban those who wish to inform others,constructively criticize,or respectfully inquire.

Except they never did.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
I think Unreal Engine has always been more CPU intensive than GPU. That's nothing new.
Correct. Even UT2k4 basically only needed DX9 stuff for terrain - most of the stuff in it could've been done under DX8.

UT3 does use the GPU more, granted, but the game is probably still more CPU-bound than anything. All games eventually reach that point though.
Epic definition of expansion-

Get game out of beta stage keeping it simple for mass appeal.
Add a bit of content and a figurine.
Change color and add a heavier clear coat to the bait.
Resell at Christmas under new name because too many know what UT3 means.Do not release any demo.Make them buy it to try it.Censor and ban those who wish to inform others,constructively criticize,or respectfully inquire.
Whining forum poster's definition of "Getting a message to Epic":

• Bitch about how bad their game is, for a bunch of reasons. Even though it's been 14 months since the game was released. They still need to know every single detail about why their game was horrible.
  • Bitch some more. They still didn't notice the other pages full of complaints.
  • When you're banned for excessive complaining and trolling and bringing up the exact same complaints as everyone else, come to BuF and do it instead.
  • Keep posting the complaints anyway - they're sure to see it sooner or later.

Last edited:

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
And it's not even (totally) about that. People have complained a lot about how UT3 is so CPU-bound while the GPU(s) almost sit around idly in comparison. This makes sense, though, when you realize that both current consoles have gobs of CPU power, not much RAM, and only mediocre GPUs. The code wasn't optimized to work with all the superior hardware PC gamers usually have. :eek:

Its about many things, the whole UI, from its basic layout and function, and what options it has (or rather, does not), the mouse aiming ingame (would it have killed them to make a checkbox to atleast disable Mousesmoothing?), the texture quality, the default map sizes, graphics setup options, control and communication options (speechbinds, pipeswitching, adjustable cams in vehicals with the scrollwheel, stuff like that), more assets could easilly have been preloaded into our RAM on map start since we have more ram, and so on and so forth.. there are many many things that should have been optimized better for the PC users, that we expected of Epic considdering they where a standard in past UT titles on the PC.

Thease are the things people point to when they say "this feels consolized", and you are kidding yourselves if you don't think this works both ways.. how do you think Console users would have reacted to UT3 if it had shipped with an "Uwindows" style UI on all versions? such an UI would have been awfull to use with the thumbsticks, and they would, rightfully, complain and whine about it, and call it names like "bad port job" and "PCified", and they would have been right to do so too.

Console and PC hardware is not identical, nor is our default input systems, and thouse of us who have been playing games for quite a while can certainly tell when not enough effort has been put into optimizing the game for each system.

rAt.8^].bAg

Don't eff wid Gkublok
Aug 10, 2008
[*]Bitch about how bad their game is, for a bunch of reasons. Even though it's been 14 months since the game was released. They still need to know every single detail about why their game was horrible.

Yes, because after 14 months and several updates it's STILL pretty borked.

[*]Bitch some more. They still didn't notice the other pages full of complaints.

That's right. Apparently Epic STILL hasn't gotten the memo, so we'll keep on bitching until they do.

[*]When you're banned for excessive complaining and trolling and bringing up the exact same complaints as everyone else, come to BuF and do it instead.

You mean banned for constructive criticism by tyrants and sycophants that don't want potential buyers to know how badly they f*cked up a major title.

[*]Keep posting the complaints anyway - they're sure to see it sooner or later.

One can only hope.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
rAt.8^].bAg;2239257 said:
Yes, because after 14 months and several updates it's STILL pretty borked

Que? I can bot-match and pub perfectly fine. Not sure how that's b0rked.

That's right. Apparently Epic STILL hasn't gotten the memo, so we'll keep on bitching until they do.

Yeah because Epic totally has a magic wand they can whip out and make it all better in seconds.

You mean banned for constructive criticism by tyrants and sycophants that don't want potential buyers to know how badly they f*cked up a major title.

Keep fighting the good fight brutha'. Don't let the man keep you down.

Last edited:

Dark Pulse

Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
Yes, because after 14 months and several updates it's STILL pretty borked.
I can play matches in it just fine. The game almost never crashes on me.
Actually, yes they have. That's why they're deleting the post, because you're the nine-thousand-first person to post about it.
No, I definitely mean banned for posting the same ****, then complaining when they delete it for it being the same ****. Also, constructive criticism implies generally not telling them why their product sucks. Most game companies don't solicit consumer feedback as highly as you seem to think they do. If they wanted feedback on it that bad, they'd solicit it. Furthermore, it's their right to ban you if they so choose. It's their messageboards, after all, and you do agree to a TOS when you use them. If they feel like banning you, they've every right to. "Free speech" doesn't extend to the internet, unless you run the site.
One can only hope.
Yes... one can only hope that the whining will stop one day. Preferably sooner as opposed to later.

Last edited:

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
rAt.8^].bAg;2239268 said:
OK, let's go back n' forth for 10 more pages, eh ST? :rolleyes:

Or we could both just STFU and go play the game instead. What a concept.

rAt.8^].bAg

Don't eff wid Gkublok
Aug 10, 2008
Already played some tonight.

Or some of ya could not be so touchy every time someone said anything negative about UT3. :violin:

Dark Pulse

Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
rAt.8^].bAg;2239281 said:
Already played some tonight.

Or some of ya could not be so touchy every time someone said anything negative about UT3. :violin:
It's not that anyone is saying negative things. That's fine.

It's that they've been saying them. Over. And. Over. For. 14. Months.

Epic's headlong into the expansion now, which will probably fix some or most of the problems UT3 has. I think their time's better invested working on that than reading the forums.

Besides, let's not forget 2k4 was an "expansion" to 2k3, and look at how well that did. Did it fix everything? No, but it fixed most of what most people wanted. The fact they're even *DOING* an expansion to try to fix the things shows they still care about the franchise.

And don't give me that "They should've gotten it right the first time" crap. Yes, I agree they should have, but I don't think it was entirely their fault:

• It came out at a VERY crowded time, for the FPS market. Crysis had come out 6 days before. Team Fortress 2 was out a little over a month earlier. Call of Duty 4 was just under two weeks before. The FPS market was *VERY* saturated.
  • Midway was hemorrhaging money at the time. No doubt they tried to think one title - UT3 - would turn their fortunes around, or at least make them less dismal. It's no doubt that they probably pushed Epic to release sooner, despite the rhetoric Capps was saying.
  • A lot of the bad things was how stuff that people were pumped about - such as Conquest - weren't in the game. Not even Warfare was in the demo, and that was a sticking point for some, especially when it turned out to be a rebalanced (but arguably superior) version of Onslaught.
  • Then we get into the silly things.
    • They probably had very little time to design the UI, and have gone on record saying it was ****ed. So that's one thing people can stop bitching about.
    • Gamespy is stupid, yes, and I don't like how I can't see the scores before I join the match, but now I simply spectate the match before I join. It's not a game breaker.
    • Neither is demoguy, or females making male grunting noises. Stupid, stupid bugs, but if you're going to let that make you not play a game, you're just looking for excuses.
Believe me, I don't mind people saying negative things, but for ****'s sake, it's been 14 months and they're working on an exapsnion. Any point bitching about UT3 now is completely pointless (and was the second the expansion was announced) because any potential bugfixes no doubt are getting rolled into the expansion. Some people will hate that, but an expansion also means they can do some stuff they couldn't for the stock UT3 - like possibly remove Gamespy. (Note that I *HIGHLY* doubt this will happen, but it's at least possible.)

2k3 and UT3 had very similar lives, and very similar reactions, both from critics and the fanbase. 2k4 redeemed 2k3 and made it a lot more fun. Let's hope this expansion does the same for UT3, because under all the crap, for whatever reason, UT3 is still a very solid, fast, and fun game.

And I'm pretty sure enough of the people in Epic know that this expansion has to please the fanbase. They don't need it drilled into their skulls. They lurk; they read both their forums and ours. Think about it... if you were making UT3, would you want to see five pages of why your product sucks? No. It'd lower your morale. On the other hand, if you've got even a post or two saying how you know they'll turn things around... then well, that can brighten your whole damn day.

I'm not saying kiss Epic's ass, or suck up to them, but all these negative posts practically encourage them to fail. We're basically playing "Prove me wrong" with the UT3 expansion, and that's pretty friggin' grim.

Last edited:

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
It's not that anyone is saying negative things. That's fine.

It's that they've been saying them. Over. And. Over. For. 14. Months.

I call BS, i returned to BuF about 1 or 2 days after UT3's release, and you where every bit as standoffish back then as you are now, the same is true of many here, cut out the act allready, that whole "its been so long now" rutine rings hollow, you are fanboys doing what fanboys do, and have been doing it since UT3's release, suck it up and grow some skin allready, people are going to voice their opinions nomatter what, either let it slide or find constructive ways to discuss thease topics.

Dark Pulse

Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
I call BS, i returned to BuF about 1 or 2 days after UT3's release, and you where every bit as standoffish back then as you are now
That's because then there were so many doing the complaints, and we were sick of the volume of the complaints. Now there's only a handful of complaints, but they're dedicated to complaining. :p

the same is true of many here, cut out the act allready, that whole "its been so long now" rutine rings hollow, you are fanboys doing what fanboys do, and have been doing it since UT3's release, suck it up and grow some skin allready, people are going to voice their opinions nomatter what, either let it slide or find constructive ways to discuss thease topics.
Thank you. Opinions are fine, but people need to stop bringing up why UT3 sucks every time someone mentions the game. If you don't think the game's good, then that's fine, but I think most of us here know you generally don't like it, and if you post enough, WHY you don't like it. (Example: T2A really hates the netcode.) We don't need to be reinforced into knowing that. :p

Last edited: